ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 150 - What is with this Weather???

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS JOYCE!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Some flowers for the birthday girl!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning, Folks!

All's well down here in SW Arkansas. Although it looked a little rough for awhile Thursday evening, the storm went all around of us. Lots of thunder & lightening, rain & hail. We were on the road with 12 miles to go to reach home when it started and no place for shelter to sit it out. DId have a touchdown in Mena, AR, which is about 40 miles (?) north of here. Heard on the radio they had 3 fatalities. Amazing that as flat as it is here and as many watches and warnings that there normally are, that there are no basements that I have seen and very few root/storm cellars. Al said during orientation at work, that they were told most of the churches have shelters, but in this rural area, they are pretty few and far between. He was also told by a co-worker, that last summer, they were lucky to get in 20 hours a week at work due to all the tornado watches and warnings. Wish we had known that before we came down. Can't survive on the road with that few of hours a week for very long.

T & P to all those that need them. I agree that so many of our weather disturbances and health issues are caused by environmental polution and chemicals and/or hormones in our foods. Progress is not always a good thing.

Lots of some kind of flu or virus going around this area. Two of our friends have already been down for a week each with it. Trying to avoid close contact with too many people or staying outdoors when we're with a group. Took me 6 weeks to finally get over the pnuemonia I came down with shortly after we got here.

Everyone take care of yourselves and I sure hope you all have some pleasant weather to enjoy some time outdoors!

Robin

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Forgot to add my Birthday Wishes to the Birthday Girl! Have a great day, Joyce!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just a quick note.
I'm having some serious internet problems.
Tech scheduled for Tues.
I'll BBL

Ric

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Ric i was wondering where you was ! sorry your having trouble . Miss you
Not much here
seeds starting and Gh maintance. LOL so far the tape is working :) ( knock on wood)
Dusty i hope you get a word from Paulie soon. T&P for you , Hope Jim got some sleep .
lots of running to do today
sunny out so that is good
have a great day everyone
hugs
sue

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you all for my birthday wishes...my last year in the 50's... :O(

I'm glad that all of you seem to be safe. I didn't even know any of that was going on. We watched recorded programs last night, so there was no indication on the tv.

Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear of your niece and my prayers will be coming for her. Dusty, hope you hear from your other husband soon, cause I know if anything happens to him you will be devastated.

I'm off to M&D's today for a visit with my niece and her new husband. They can't make the 70th anniversary celebration next weekend and they are up with all the kids for a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge. This is Lyston's mom (the great-niece with hearing problems at 10). I'm anxious to see them and meet the new guy. This is her 3rd marriage, so hopefully, third time is a charm.

Enjoy the sunshine all!!

PS...thanks for the flowers Neal...I really love them. I can almost smell, too!

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy BIrthday Joyce.

Dusty, I hope you had heard some good news by now.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks be to Creator...They are all fine and no damage to any of the family...Brother Mike was at work, and they have a 2 story deep basement, so he was safe, but his truck got hit with some debris on the drivers side of the bed...He said nothing a body shop can't fix...

Paulie was at the VA Hospital in Nashville when it hit, and the Shuttle would not bring him back home afterwards...One of the nurses lives in Murfreesboro and offered to bring him back home when she got off duty...Cell phones do not work in most VA's in certain areas, because they have steel reinforced walls, and he forgot to check his voicemail...
He said the devastation they came through on his way home was unreal...He took Dads paper up to him about 15 minutes ago and Carrie had biscuits & gravy on the table for him, so he will call me back in about an hour...

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Great News!!!!!!!!

I can say that with T , the third time is a charm LOL i m the third wife LOLLLL so he better be nice to me !!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Dusty that's GREAT News!

Joyce....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Hey Bro... That is just purely decadent!!! LOL

Are you all coming this way this weekend??

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooooooo are you delivering those, Ric?????????? Thank you for the wishes!

Get yer tongue back in yer mouth and quit drooling Sissy!!

Very unbecoming for a Birthday Girl!!! LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Joyce!! And may you have many more!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So, is the kickoff of a birthday week for you, Cookie? I think birthdays should stretch out to entire weeks. :)

My friend Rebecca came over yesterday and we hung out from 4pm to almost midnight. We watched the movie Seven Pounds. I don't want to say anything about the plot because it is a movie best seen without bringing any preconceived notions along.

Ohhh, crud. Mom just called and said dad fell and hit the plate in his head. He's feeling woozy. She is driving him to the Vet hospital in Dayton. Here we go again. Again, it is not a question of whether or not he has coverage as a vet, but that he must drive clear to Dayton to get in through an ER and receive it for free. Darn it all. One of these times he is going to die en route to Dayton because he refuses to go to one of the Columbus hospitals out of fear of medical costs.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK I've found out the phone line works better when it's in one piece.
Seems we crushed it in all the moving around we've been doing.
So I went ahead and rewired the computer room.... now no more cords to crush.
Once we tear down the ceiling in the LR we're going to rewire the whole house.
AND run all the speaker cords and such up there too.

Thursday was a seriously long day.
Robyn has been up north working on the house since Tues.
I left for work at 6:30 then drove up there at 3:30. The sink was in but no plumbing done.
It was by 8:30 when we left..... lol!
No tools though. I thought Robyn had taken my plumbing bag.
so w/ pliers and an 80 year old 8" pipe wrench ..... we have water.
They got the LR, Hall, Kitchen and one BR sanded and painted.
The new ceiling looks Great!
But we will NOT let them do any more mudding.
WAY too much mud used and subsequently WAY too much sanding.

Here's the Kitchen. The tile is now done.
All the termite damage under the window repaired and a new ledge put up.

Ric

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 1:45 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And the LR w/ it's new ceiling, walls patched and painted, trim on mostly.
Hall and furnace room patched and painted.
Robyn and Cindy worked about 40 hours of 48 on it.

Next comes the Bathroom.... basically a one wall tear down and rebuild and a replumb.
New Vanity....
All an easy fix after the rest of what we've done.

Here's a before

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And after....
Off to play Ketchup

Thumbnail by henryr10
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Joyce! Sorry I didn't see the birthday list early this morning or I'd have been at the top of the well-wishers list. :)

Dusty, Glad they are okay, I bet you feel better, whew. I hate being on pins and needles.

Just rolled in from my trip, need to unload the truck and get some lunch. Oh, I stopped at a neat little natural foods store in Floyd where I found some fresh ground buffalo! They also had a new and very tasty Greek olive oil in bulk (and refillable bottles) so I got a bottle, and a loaf of sun-dried tomato and rosemary bread. I'll grate some Parmesan later, slice some of the crusty bread, and have a dippin' party all to myself. Yum.

Ric, I bought 100' of cable, like the kind you suggested. If it works well, I can do another third next month and finish it in June without my pocketbook screeching too much at one time.

Your project is coming along nicely. Target completion date?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius I'm glad that wire worked out.
Wish I was still doing fence we had reels of it.
It will take some serious pressure just like barbed wire so don't be afraid to stretch it.
If you get back to Floyd before the RU grab me some Olive Oil please.
The Greek stuff goes fast here and I love the flavor.

Target date.... sometimes it feels like the 12th of never.... LOL!
Probably wrap up bulk weekend.
We're going to the Cincy Flower also but I have a 3 day weekend going too.
After a 4 day NO Dayton work weekend.
Though Robyn is painting the cab doors to take back up tomorrow.

Dusty I'm not sure if we'll have time to stop up.
Hopefully we can stop by either going or coming back from dinner tomorrow.
I'll call you.
We REALLY want to see all the pond work.

Ric

Be glad to pick some up for you, Ric. The bottles were $3.50 (they have both a screw cap and a pouring spout cap with them, plus it's labeled with the kind of EVOO); mine held just over 16 oz. and it was $10... sold be weight.

I may get to trying out some of the wire today, but I just realized Lowe's didn't bag everything I paid for so I need to make a trip back to Lowe's... 2 hours plus gas wasted, Phhhhttt...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Mom and dad are at the VA hospital in Dayton and they're checking him out. Mom says he feels okay. Poor cell signal inside, so updates will be infrequent from mom.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kimberley can't they back bill the VA for emergencies?

GOOD LUCK!
Hope it's nothing serious.

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Birthday, Joyce!!

Chele, has Craig heard back from the interview?

Hi and hugs, everyone!!
~ Marylyn

Gw sorry to hear your dad fell. Those are scary .
Ric nice work on the house. Looking really good and what a difference. ! I bet Robin is pooped. ? and you too . wow
darius that bites when they do that . I hate that too. That health store sounds like it has good stuff. We have two places over here that do buffalo . I have never tried it but would really like to . :) not many good health stores around here :(
well busy day
lots of stuff in Gh and i fried my zinnias ! uhg got way to hot in that GH. sheesh
well off to go to an easter egg hunt with kids
ttyl
sue

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Joyce
It's my last year in the fifties also..BooHoo

Pauletta

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Gee I feel young now! I still have 2 years and 11 months! LOL!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know what they can and can't do. I've about washed my hands of trying to help them with this stuff. There's no reasoning with him. He's supposedly checked and found stuff out.

Medicare paid part of that visit to the local hospital ER earlier this year for his obstructed bowel; the VA did not cover anything, but the hospital itself forgave the rest of the bill. But that wasn't good enough - he still insists on going to the Dayton VA. I give up.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the birthday wishes all!

Kim, sorry about Dad, hope he's really okay.

Our little cookout went well. Cake was yummy and no one went away hungry.

I'm pooped. See you all on the morrow...Happy Easter.

:oP Ric....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, and they're on their way back from Dayton. Everything apparently checked out okay. He has a big knot on his arm, but it doesn't hurt. It appeared suddenly, so dad thinks maybe it happened when he tried to break his fall? He's supposed to keep an eye on it and get it checked if his arm or hand have numbness.

Kimberly, don't give up, the older folks just have their own way, and until they discover another way, that is what they will continue to do. Hope that Dad is okay, and no lasting effects.

Joyce, glad that you had a good day, and the cookout was good. Glad those birthday celebrations only come once a year!!

Sue, yikes, poor little zinnias, don't worry you can sow the seeds outdoors and they will be fine. Just try again.

Ric, the work looks good, as usual. Hope that you and Robin can physically last throught his project.

|I had my Easter dinner tonight for supper. DS and his SO have to work tomorrow, and we decided to celebrate today. I cooked most of the afternoon, and we enjoyed the dinner. For once they didn't have to dash off to someplace else, so got to visit for a good while. Now DH and I can eat leftovers, and then rest tomorrow afternoon. We are going to sunrise service, so heading to bed, so that I will be able to pry my eyes open.

Good Night, and Happy Easter!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Easter Everyone!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A lot of the work up there is a group effort.
Nephews, BIL and SIL's are pitching in.
I did mostly bones work and plumbing.
Robyn did a vast bit of the finish sanding and painting. All the tile.
It will be done by May 1 for sure.
Hopefully sold by May 2...lol!

Ric

Try to stop by for a sec Bro... I have this boxfull for you ....

Happy Easter Everyone...Have a Blessed Day...

Good Morning, and Happy Easter and/or Happy Sunday.

I awakened to white lawn. It was supposed to only be a low of 35 so of course I didn't cover anything. I'll go outside when it warms up to see what 27 did to my hostas. :(

Has anyone seen Fiber Optic Grass? The nursery where I got mulch yesterday had a few... man, they are spectacular! Much nicer than any photos I've seen. They are an annual here, but I may break my rule and buy one anyway. (My rule is: buy nothing I cannot grow to eat, at least this year.)

Ta, ta...

Darius I bought one 2 years ago, and it didn't last long, don't know what I did to it but it was toast in just a bit. I think it is a plant for ponds, and I treated it like a shade plant.

Back from sunrise service,and drinking coffee and reading the paper, we will be off in a bit for early church.

Happy easter
Gw maybe your dad has a little crush on a VA nurse over there , thats why he insists on the VA ? you know how them VA NURSES are ROFLLLLLL ( yeah Dusty i be talken to you's ) LOLLLLL
wow Bon's back from sunrise service ! sheesh . I m so lazy ( sulking away in shame ) i always try but i m not a morning person . I hope Jesus forgives me for that . :)
take care
and many blessings to you all
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

HAPPY EASTER!

Darius, hope all your plants fared well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.