Flickers Using Morse Code

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

At least, I think that's what they're doing. The first one I saw was 2 houses up the street, going rat-a-tat-tat on the metal top of the flue. Then 4 blocks up, another one, on a metal streetlamp, doing the same dang thing. Then another! A block over, tapping out code on another flue.

Are they doing surveillance? Plotting something? Is the poppy asteroid on its way here?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is very mysterious and very significant. They are obviously sending messages but the question is to whom? I haven't heard them doing heavy metal here YET but I am so enamoured with the pink finches right now that I haven't been paying too much attention to the other birds. Are the nuthatches involved too?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Nope, I haven't seen any nuthatches involved. Only flickers. I adore flickers, but I do wonder what they're up to.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

AHA! I did not know they liked metal too. I just seen/heard them tap-tap-tapping on wood. http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/per/nestcam/fdrum.htm

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH! My, isn't that a hoot! I would just love to have a nesting pair take up residence in our yard.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too but I'm too urban sigh.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I am changing the mufflers on the poppy asteroid, but I will bring it up as soon as I get that done.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O its' a hot rod poppy asteroid. I did not know that.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, it will be just shortly.

Santa Fe, NM

Let's go!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch, I'll be delighted to see you & the poppy asteroid. I didn't realize it was drivable. Please don't scare the flickers, though. And no hot-cross buns with firecrackers, OK?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

What good is an asteroid if you can't drive it?

And why would you be touchy about firecrackers?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mulvh you'e my heroine "What good is an asteroid if you can't drive it?" Personally I'm a petal-to-the-metal girl but thar is just my personal sway about asteroids.

Reno, NV

The birds are definately running surveillance. They need to make sure the area is clear of crikets before the asteroid lands.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I like flickers, I am sure they will make a great landing crew.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dnut, you're my very favorite punster today!! Hee hee.
Mulch, I'm not particularly touchy about firecrackers. I just like to EAT my hot cross buns.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh. That is good to know. Personally I like to eat happy cinnamon rolls.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

mmmmmmm blueberry danish mmmmmmmmmm

Santa Fe, NM

Chocolate croissants!

Reno, NV

Lemon poppy muffins!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know, for the first time this year DH and I have a drumming flicker. Only until now I thought we had the only one in the world. It pecks on our chimney - liner or spark protector, I don't know what but it is metal and makes a loud sound of very fast sharp drum beats. At first I thought it was the neighbors. It was actually rather like a not-so-loud jackhammer. I thought maybe they were having some work done so I kept peeking over the wall, but no jackhammer or even any human being at all. They appeared to be out of town!
My DH told me it was a bird. He just figured it had to be so I went out and looked and sure enough, there was a flicker sitting on top of our chimney hammering away.
Raja finds it very alarming. Her ears go up and she goes and peers very cautiously at the fireplace, trying to figure out what is going on. I told her it was a bird, but that didn't seem to help. And yes, it has just been this spring. We never heard it until this year. But that flicker is sending out good vibrations to his sweetie. Now I know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.