How do you mark/ID your plants in the garden?

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I found several possible solutions for keeping my plants identified (esp. those w/Cultivar names, etc.) but the ones I would like to use could get pretty pricey. I'd love to do it like they do in professional gardens or nurseries, but who can afford that? Maybe a few each year... or
And there are stone markers:

Ooh! I just found these. They're very neat but so time-consuming! And for me, time is at a premium!

Would love to get input from other gardeners who manage this successfully.

North Augusta, ON

Mostly I just remember what they are...mostly...when I really need to mark something I use cut up mini blinds.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've found that the tags I make out of aluminum foil hold up pretty well, even when buried for years.


This message was edited Apr 15, 2009 12:03 PM

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i buy my markers from paw paw. they're in the watchdog. they last forever. i only tag the roses though. all of my plant names are kept in a journal, handwritten, kind of in the order where i have them on the property and whether or not they are potted. the ones that get moved all the time are on a separate page.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Use older style aluminum venetian blind slats if you can get your hands on some.
They're wider, so there's more writing area, and they will last for years.
Use permanent marker to write with, spray with exterior sealer.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Using blinds and permanent markers don't work in the south. The sun is too intense.


(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

tracks, are you referring to these?

Looks like a viable option for me. Definitely considering it.
Like the idea of the foil ones too, but like the copper--looks time-consuming and time is what I'm most limited of.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

cajun, here is where i buy mine. you have to print out the order form and send a check-no cc online. i love mine.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I use Eon tags, and I use a Brother label printer with their special laminated labels which hold up to sun, rain, etc to print the labels to stick on the tag.
If you don't want to buy the label printer, paint pens will hold up to sun, as will pencil. Or they sell special nursery markers that are UV-resistant (regular permanent markers like Sharpie will fade in the sun as you've discovered)

There are pretty regular co-ops on the Eon tags if you want to get them a little cheaper--I think there's one going on now as a matter of fact although I don't know if it might have closed already.

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

I like these..
Easy to write on (both sides) with ball-point or stylus
Have had some on plants in Cent. Florida for years...still look good

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.