Going down to 25 tonight! A Rant.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It appears I bought 4 -- was floating on a cloud of ecstasy at the time so had to go look to see. They are:
Dinnerplates -- Thomas Edison and Arabian Nights
Cactus -- Orfeo and Gold Crown.

Guess I will be doing some staking. I am getting really excited about spring now that I am home and the weather is warm and the snow is gone. Once again, i bought too many plants.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is a beautiously colourful dahlia group you bought!!I I can't wait for the pics!!!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks Roybird, Paj. I'm finding helping with plants to be fun. Even if I don't know, I can always go look it up later. I did a walk through at her home today. Does anyone know much about raspberries? They planted theirs under their large pines. The voice in my head says they probably don't like a lot of shade and probably not a lot of acid? I told her I would look into that, but I was thinking they would do better off moved to the sunny fence area mixed in with their blackberries. I can't believe they managed to get blackberries to survive! Shows how much I know.

Does anyone have any seeds for Moss Rose? Or plants? She said she had them when she was young and loves them and would like to put some in.

Other than that, we had a wonderful time and I think I've turned her onto herb gardening now too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I had raspberrys kTalia and they suckered like crazy. Good for a hellstrip or a hill of shame but I'm not sure if you can easily contain them in the garden.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gardening is so healing, in so many ways. I think her raspberries will grow great int he sun, not under the trees. I am also not sure they need acid soil. They love it around here which makes it sound like they like our local soil which is rarely acid. Pine trees are fierce competitors for water and food, so just moving them where they have more sun and less competition should help a lot. Or course, almost everything wants organic matter, but I don't think they need acid soil. I used to grow raspberries but couldn't keep up with them, between the deer, dogs and gophers eating them. I still have a few, but will try to bring them to Denver with me since they are doing nothing but spreading into my raised beds where I like to keep the veggies but am currently keeping the iris!

I have grown blackberries, too. Same problem as raspberries but not so attacked by critters. But they multiply like crazy and should have canes cut out every so often, etc.etc. I finally got tired of it and let them go. If you look in fruit catalogs you can find them rated up to zone 4.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, am looking forward to the dahlias! I hope I don't kill them. This is new for me!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Yeah, after living with the darn things growing wild into everything in the Pacific NW, I can't bring myself to actually WANT to give them a home in my yard. But we've all come from different places and if they don't mind the maintenance, who am I to object. My mother in law has raspberries too and they're taking over her tomato bed. I'll actually be digging up the escapees and bringing them with me to the trade as well. Boy, I'm starting to feel like I have a lot to do this week! :D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too. This is always a pleasantly frantic time. Everything needs to be planted or dug up.or fed or mowed or weeded or ordered!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

or sung to. Annual babys are sprouting in the greenhouse pop! pop! pop! ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, my gosh! i almost forgot the singing.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm singing alot of 'When Iris Eyes are Smilin' to my poor dwarf iris now. It's the only Iris song I know.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's a good one. I have a dwarf iris named Irish Chant. I wish I knew one to sing it!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Paj, have you finished planting what you had left over from last year? LoL. I get tempted like that too. I don't like seeing plants die and that keeps me from buying more than I can plant.

Hope your friend's husband recovers kTalia

Santa Fe, NM

I think raspberries grow well here if they can get water. I wish I had more room! This morning I whacked down garlic chives. I like to eat a few but not pounds of them! If I do get any room, somehow, I'm thinking maybe more grapes. I tend to look at what I already have that I like and then get more of them. By the way, when does Datura come up? I planted 2 or 3 healthy little datura last year and I have not seen hide nor hair of 'em! And where are my chocolate flowers? Why did I plant more early tulips than later ones? The mind boggles.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think datura winters over here, Penny. I think it does just a bit farther south. Alas!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Alas, alac. alors about the datura :( I like the early tulips cuz they're foliage dies back earlier so isn't so unsightly plunk in the middle of the bed. Cuz I'm big into lilies I want the tulip foliage gone when they bloom .

Santa Fe, NM

Isn't " What ya gonna do with a Drunken Sailor? " an Irish ballad? Arrgh, Matey!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

"Make him walk the plank! Arg!"

Reno, NV

How bout 'My wild Irish Rose'
(http://www.celtic-lyrics.com/forum/index.php?autocom=tclc&code=lyrics&id=516)
Beutiful song

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is a great song, but would a dwarf iris like it? Probably the drunken sailor song is Irish. They have lots of good drinking songs. Maybe I could sing Brennan on the Moor to it. It's an Irish fighting song, but at least it isn't about a rose and maybe Irish Chant could grow on the Moor.
As the Clancy Brothers used to say about Irish music. It is the music of Happy Wars and Sad Love Songs.

Reno, NV

Hmm. Maybe it'll mutate into a fab new iris rose. Lol.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That wouldn't be too bad. I have two Irish Chants. Maybe I could sing to one and get a rose!

Santa Fe, NM

If there is an Irish rose, which there probably is, it should be called "Danny Boy". Which it probably is! Edited to say, checked in Plant Files. Yes, there is! No picture, tho. An orange climber. I should've looked for "Irish Eyes" but that sounds like an iris.

This message was edited May 1, 2009 2:31 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, Irish Eyes. Sounds familiar. Will have to stay alert for it.

Santa Fe, NM

It could be a day lily. We may get some rain this weekend!! I hope it isn't snow, tho. I have managed to get a bad little splinter under a finger nail. The finger is red, swollen, painful and infected now. I'm trying not to go to the urgent care because of all the flu but am soaking the finger in hot water and using antibiotic salve. So, wish me luck. My house painting and gardening activities have gone on hold for now.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, Roybird! Owieeee! That sounds just turrible.

I believe salt water will help draw the splinter out, if you want to try adding a bit of salt to the hot water soak.....

good luck! my goodness.....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I vote for salt water in the soaking or epsom's salt ( my mother's remedy). Actually, I find that dishwater is a good way to soak splinters so you can get the swelling down, but then, you have to get the splinter out of there -- with tweezers or needle or whatever. My DH is especially good at that because he is so near sighted. One way or the other get the splinter out and it will heal up quickly.
I wish you quick healing, roybird.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Splinters and paper cuts hurt more than anything. Hope it comes out soon roybird.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Roybird,
Epsom salts will really clear the infection fast after the splinter is out.

Santa Fe, NM

Well, I'm typing this slowly. I had a small surgery done on the finger this morning. The doctor had to remove the fingernail to get at the infection. He said the splinter had come out already but it was a bad infection. I've got pain meds and antibiotics and a big roll of gauze on my right hand ring finger. Guess I won't be digging in the dirt for awhile! He said it was o.k. to go to Denver, though. So, I'm glad this is over with and I'm going to bed!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, gosh, Roybird, glad you got the little stinker outa there! Heal fast and sweet, now! Glad you can still go to the big to-do, would be a shame to have a splinter stop that, eh? ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG I'm so glad you went to the doc. Get better quick roybird!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! That was one nasty splinter! I am so glad you went to the doctor and got it taken care of. Hope your fingernail comes back soon. It's hard to garden without fingernails. But on our trip, I don't think you will need them for much. That will give you a chance to heal.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Very glad you will be getting better soon. Once it heals a little and isn't so painful you can get away with wearing gloves and playing in your flowers. Get some rest!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks, everybody. I'm doing o.k. although either the antibiotics or the pain meds or the combo made me deathly sick yesterday. Today I'm not using the pain pills so I can see if it is the antibiotics causing the trouble. I suspect it was the pain meds. I'm not in much pain today anyway and they only removed about half of the nail. It doesn't look bad. Just have to watch where I put my hands! Poor D.H. is doing housework. It rained here yesterday, but not very much.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I hope it was the pain meds. Those things can cause an upset stomach. We didn't get much rain either, alas. Thank goodness the sprinkler system is now working. Now I have to get to work on the drip system.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm pretty sure it was the pain meds. They were stronger than I expected. I was vomiting all day and afraid I would end up like a rock star. Today, just a little queasy. I went out and cut down some garlic chives. Way too many of them. I did not pull up anything, though. I am being very careful. Noticed aphids on the early iris, but also ladybugs.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have had aphids on my early iris this year, too. Haven't seen any ladybugs yet, but there may be some -- usually there are.
I am glad to hear you are less queasy today. We need you hale and hardy for our great expedition to Denver!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Roybird, sorry I haven't kept up with all the threads, so sorry about your finger! That sounds very painful, and I, too, am glad you went to the doc and got it fixed. Pain meds can be a pain... lots of them make you sick. When I broke my finger they gave me tylenol with codeine which did nothing... good old motrin worked better and allowed for the glass of wine I like to help the healing along, LOL! Also, for the antibiotics, they can give the dreaded diarrhea... you might want to take acidophilus (a natural enzyme, I think... find it with the vitamins)... it helps prevent the diarrhea and (sorry) yeast infections that can come from antibiotics. Honestly, I try not to take antibiotics anymore unless absolutely necessary. Anywhooo, hope you are feeling better!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I second the acidophilus with antibiotics. It is easy to get in yogurt or miso soup. It is good for lots of things. It is actually good bacteria that live in your intestines and help you digest your food and produce vitamin K. Antibiotics can kill them off so it is good to eat some yogurt or have some miso soup and something with fiber in it so they will have something to eat. I have been reading up on all this lately because I have a friend whose daughter has IBS which friendly bacteria help cure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.