Going down to 25 tonight! A Rant.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Paja, you may want to recommend to your friend's daughter that she stop eating all dairy for a few days, I had big tummy issues several years ago, doc thought it was IBS and wanted to do all kinds of things to me, went to the pharmacy and Mr. Pharmacist listened to my symptoms and recommended eliminating dairy for a few days and viola! Better. I had become lactose intolerant (which can also come from taking too many antibiotics, which I used to take a lot). No one wants to be lactose intolerant, but no one wants to take lots of medicines and have procedures for something that may just be a food issue. Just a thought. BTW, lactose intolerance can also go away in time.

Santa Fe, NM

I eat yoghurt every morning and take a probiotic, so I'm in good shape with that. I will take antibiotics when I have to for an obvious infection but they were over-prescribed for a long time.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Bsavage, my friend's daughter is under the care of the Mayo Clinic for IBS. I think they first gave it to her by putting her on a long course of antibiotics because they said she had a heavy bacterial load. Then she had IBS. Not sure how much they told her about that. I am not sure how much dairy she eats but I will mention it. I gave her a package of miso and my recipe for miso soup which is good for replacing good bacteria, too.
I, too, was made to stay off dairy for about a month. My dr. was very insistant on it. And as it turned out he was right. I was okay but it sure took a while. Now I can have dairy but I still prefer miso soup.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm not a huge fan of dairy products anyway. Except whipped cream and gelato. Which are good for me. Like chocolate. One thing I'm having trouble with is coffee. I love the smell but if it is good coffee it upsets my stomach too much. Fortunately, I love tea. But no hibiscus or lemon, please! I have discovered that my "default" food is white rice with butter, salt and pepper. So many people have various intestinal conditions these days. I suspect it is from too much processed food more than from any one kind of food. Probably varies from person to person. It was my mother's orange macaroni from the box that did it! My mom even used instant mashed potatoes. I can't imagine why it was easier then boiling potatoes but that's how quite a few women "cooked" in the 50's and 60's.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

"but that's how quite a few women "cooked" in the 50's and 60's". Well, most of my friends still cook this way, if they cook at all. Mostly they cook McDonalds or Burger King. My new favorite fast food source is Dream Dinners. I spend 2 hours at a commercial kitchen every 3 months preparing 12 meals in advance and then I freeze them. When I need a "quicky" I just pop one of those in the oven and the problem is solved! I know there are books about doing that in your home, but I'm too lazy to do the shopping, planning and cleaning for that. Better to go someplace where they do all that for me!

Santa Fe, NM

What a good idea, kTalia! People with children at home have different concerns, for sure. There are just two of us and we're picky, mostly about where our food comes from. My M.I.L. had 4 children and a job but she and my F.I.L. loved to cook and garden. They had big freezers full of fruit and vegetables. My mom was of a different persuasion and was more in to clothes and restaurants. She also liked to hike and ride horses and read, so it wasn't totally awful! We did eat a lot of salad and later Mom married a chef anyway! l.o.l.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Well that works. Marry people that fill in the gaps is always a good thing. : ) And you can't complain about riding horses, hiking and reading!

Santa Fe, NM

Still, it is funny to think that people are cooking like my mother did, even now. And the whole McDonald's thing. I lead a sheltered life!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My mother was very into nutrition. We never had potatoes from a box and not many potatoes at all, as a matter of fact. We did have some macaroni from a box, but every meal had to have a green and a yellow vegetable. We had a piece of meat and maybe a carbohydrate dish. She made wonderful homemade fried chicken. After I left home my mother had chickens and grew a garden and the vegetables she grew were fantastic. But when I was a kid my dad worked South of New Orleans and knew lots of cajuns and other interesting types of South Louisiana people ( such as Yugoslavians). Lots of them had small farms or knew people who did. And many of them were oyster growers so we often got fresh shucked oysters, boxes of corn or creole tomatoes, and Louisiana oranges and satsumas. I was totally spoiled foodwise. When I went to New Mexico to college I thought I would starve to death. All they had was burgers, steaks and enchiladas, it seemed like and it took a year or two to accustom my tongue to chile.
Things have improved a lot in New Mexico with the advent of artists, writers, and movie stars. Now we have good restaurants -- at least in Santa Fe and Taos. And we have farmers' markets and CSAs. One can eat very well around here these days. I cook very much like my mother except I don't usually eat the meat, but DH does. He used to have lots of stomach troubles, but he doesn't anymore, thanks to the fact that I make him eat his vegetables. He even wants them now.
My brother's family of wife and 3 kids grew up on McDonalds but his wife is now a gourmet cook. It took them a while to learn. My niece is married to the Vice President of Emiril's so, as long as she doesn't have to cook, they eat very well.
I personally try to eat only whole grains and veggies and fruits. It isn't easy though, especially if you go out. My preferred diet is Asian. Chinese, Thai, Korean, Japanese or Vietnamese. Their diet is the healthiest I am aware of.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

When I met my DH I had to introduce him to veggies. 'Broccollis meet DH. DH meet the Broccollis" etc etc. Recently he started making them himself ^_^

Reno, NV

Oh Roybird I'm late in sending feel betters but they're just as heart felt. I know what you mean about the pain meds. My dentisit actualy told me how to use them without getting sick (I'm kind of a wuss about pain). He said you have to take them right after eatting. When I do I don't get sick. Otherwise, shudder.

I'm always impressed by just how badly alot of my friends eat. And for a lot of them it seems that part of it is just not knowing how to prepare things. If I had to eat totaly boiled to death veggies only I probably wouldn't either. It' was kind of an eye opener when I realized that many of my clients, adults with kids, didn't know how to boil water or follow a recipe. I'm not supprised they used processed foods so much.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have noticed the same, duchess and if you give them a home cooked meal it is as if an angel had appeared and done something miraculous. I feel sorry for people who don't know how to cook and eat.

Reno, NV

I couldn't agree more. I love it when one of my clients comes running up to have me come smell what they've cooked. Very satisfying feelling.

Santa Fe, NM

Good to hear from you, Duchess! I'm not a great cook but I like some healthy things such as fruit and vegetables. When D.H. isn't around I eat oat cereal with bananas and soy milk for dinner. He thinks I'm awful.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Well we didn't have the worst diet, but there was so much I didn't realized even about the "healthy" meals I thought I was making. So I went on this kick about a year ago where I was going to tackle it all and after a week I broke down in frustration and stress from it. So instead now we're on the gradual approach. Trying to introduce more of the foods we need to be eating and slowly removing the others that we're better off without. We switched to Stevia instead of sugars for additives. No more standard cooking oils, we use grape seed oil now instead. More fish, fruits and vegetables and all meats have to be hormone free. Most of our meat dishes are actually lamb or poultry (or ground poultry). If I can help it, I don't by products with "enriched" anything. I tried to find stuff that is whole grains. Some of it is killing my husband, but we're getting there. He makes killer whole grain and spice pancakes now and the kids will even eat them without syrup!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I sympathize kTalia, learning to eat a healthy diet has often been hard for me. Some days I find my self staring into the refrigerator wondering what I can eat without a major cooking effort. The answer is, not much. I am having to come up with a whole new cooking repertoire, but it is worth it. I am much healthier than I was. None of this helped my cholesterol however and the Dr. put me on lipitor after I strove valiantly to reduce my cholesterol through diet and exercise. I can't tell you how much oatmeal I ate. And apples and beans and flax seed and plant sterols an psillium. The doctor finally told me it was just my genes and gave me lipitor. But I haven't changed my diet because it helps with other things, too. DH is getting healthier too. He gave up cream and sugar in his coffee, Bailey's Irish cream, and ice cream and has lost about 20 pounds. It's a hard battle, but I think the national health profile tells us that we need to do better than we have been doing.
Maybe your DH would share his pancake recipe? I was thinking of trying to make oat cakes. They have to be better than the bowls of mush I have been consuming.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I'll ask him when he gets home. That's sure to raise his eyebrows since he knows I don't ever use recipes. Hehe

I'm glad that the changes you've made are making you feel better. That gives me hope. If I could just keep family from dragging all this candy into my house. I try to be nice about it but they fail to understand that even though they just brought a little, it's coming in from so many sources that it all adds up to way too much! It must be a relief to you that some of the raw natural foods are getting easier to find since the organic craze hit the market. I know it's made it easier for me.

Santa Fe, NM

We're lucky to live in places where we have plenty of choices. I am picky but I try not to be too much of a delicate little flower. Moderation in all things. More or less.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think too think moderation is the key roybird and eat real food. A long time ago I read an article that said when you get to the check out at least 75% of the items you have should be from the outside of the grocery store because that is where most stores keep the real food.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, in the dumpster, LOL!

I wonder how carrots would taste dipped in chocolate?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Everything is improved with chocolate. It is the secret ingredient in a friend's chili.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Chocolate is also a main ingredient in Mole sauce.

Santa Fe, NM

Turkey mole' is my most favorite food! I like it from the Diana Kennedy cook book. Chocolate is one ingredient but it also has ground up, toasted pumpkin seeds and spices. It takes a long time to make it correctly. It is tied with gumbo as favorite! Prosciutto and melon are right up there. And Ropa Viejo. There is also a pork and tomatillo stew that I like very much. I'm not even hungry and I want turkey mole'!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I first had mole when I was staying with a family in Mexico for a few days. Very good. There is a genuine Mexican restaurant a few blocks from work that serves chicken mole. It is excellent. I've tried mole sauces I can buy and a recipe, but haven't gotten close enough to the real thing yet.

Gumbo is also high on my list. I've been fortunate enough to have it in one of the fine restaurants in New Orleans. No Chocolate, but I think the File does something too.

Santa Fe, NM

Chicken mole' sounds good. Which restaurant? Pajarito and I may be taking the train to Albuquerque before too long!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Its called Antojitos. Its a hole in the wall in a neighborhood that you don't want to visit after dark. It is on Zuni, 4-5 blocks West of Wyoming on the South side of the street.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Near Ta-Lin! I bet I can find it. Maybe the next time I go for Asian groceries. I crave real Mexican. I like real New Mexican also, but they aren't the same. Put me down as a fan of mole, too. I have only done the bottled kind. Trader Joe's used to carry a really good one that DH loved, but they discontinued it. Boo hoo. I mean to try some other varieties as well, but many have nuts in them which my DH can't have.
Roybird and I had better put in a picnic to take us from here to Pueblo, at least. There are very, very few decent restaurants between here and Pueblo or even Colorado Springs. Actually there are few restaurants between here and Colorado Springs except in Taos and we will hit Taos at about 10:00 am -- probably before we are hungry.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

If I were going I would be hungry by 10.

I am vicariously enjoying this get together, y'all. I know you are going to have the most wonderful time!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wish we could pick you up on the way Kyla, but my truck is only a 2 seater and you are a little out of our way -- but a lovely drive out of our way.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, too far even if there was room. I'm holding the space for it to happen one day, though......

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good for you, you would so enjoy it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sounds like perhaps we have a lunch date?

Santa Fe, NM

We will have a lunch date sometime after we get back from Denver we'll plan it! Sounds like the restaurant isn't too far from TaLin's. I'm in a bit of a swivet today, trying to get ready for Denver plus all the usual. Kyla, would love to meet you. Sorry you're not joining us this time. Paj, It might be good to pack a lunch for the way up and get a rest stop then. A stretch.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes on the lunch near TaLin Roybird and Dparsons -- when we get back. Love mole and all that other Mexican food. We will have to work out a date when I am not at the Iris convention May 11-16 -- or it will be just you and Roybird.
Yes, Roybird -- shall we make a picnic pot luck lunch to eat along the way to Denver? There are lots of pretty places to stop and picnic on and around La Vida pass -- which is the way I usually go. And very few restaurants.
I am running around like crazy, too. Packages of plants to ship here and there to other DG friends. Stuff to dig up for our Denver swap. Stuff to get out of my truck. And I find that I can't resist photographing new flowers that bloom. Here is my Kwanzan cherry tree. Still young, but I love it.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm out of town May 10-15, which is why I can't make it to Denver. Latter half of May is good.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds good to me as well. We will discuss it after the 16th.

Reno, NV

Sounds like a lovely trip. Have faith kTalia. Nutrition is very much a process and if you try to do it all at once it's not likely to stick. Years of eating a few things that are better for you is much more worth while than a week of eating "perfectly". That and IMHO food should be enjoyable not something to worry about. I'd love to have the pancake recipe too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Very true Duchess. The #1 item correlated with heart attacks is a state of unhappiness and/or stress. #2 is smoking. #3 is diet.

Santa Fe, NM

There you go! Disease could be connected to dis-ease. So we should take it easy on ourselves. How very New Age! I ought to write a self-help book!

Greensboro, AL

It is so easy to get your self into a funk. It is important to plan for something delightful for yourself every day. It should be something that doesn't cost money. Like walking the dog - didn't he like it? Or cleaning out a junk drawer so you can find something that's lost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.