Going down to 25 tonight! A Rant.

Greensboro, AL

I would love to read your self-help book, Roybird!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You could dedicate it to Bobby McFarin.

Santa Fe, NM

If I ever wrote one, Gloria, it would be a doozie!

Reno, NV

Stress really is a killer. And I think you're very right Gloria that even simple things can be wondermus. I've never been one to be able to turn off my inner monolog thru meditaion but focusing it can be just as relaxing. One of the meditations I love is slicing veggtiables. Very rythmic, interesting textures, colors, sounds, and of course then I get to eat them ;)

Reno, NV

Crossed.

I'd love to read that book too. Probably much better than most of the sillyness in pop pych

Santa Fe, NM

O.K. Who is Bobby McFarrin? Is that the "Don't worry, Be happy" guy? He should be shot on sight. That would make me more happy. Hope no one is offended by that but I needed to express my Shadow.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Serenity now ...

Santa Fe, NM

Arrrgh!

Greensboro, AL

so how would you start, roybird, to be more happy - healthy - prosperous &etc. And what should you emphasize or de-emphasize?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For me, the answer is garden more, spend less time with my MIL. Very simple.

Greensboro, AL

Someone sent me this quote:

“The greatest tragedy in America is not the destruction of our natural resources, though that tragedy is great. The truly great tragedy is the destruction of our human resources by our failure to fully utilize our abilities, which means that most men and women go to their graves with their music still in them.” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)

Ive had some bad times in my life and coming out of them (usually) meant finding out something new about myself. Unplayed music?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Isn't that the truth! Great quote. For me, getting out of bad times has usually meant getting out of bad situations, I thought I was duty bound to stay in -- jobs, relationships, etc.

Greensboro, AL

And so many people stay in bad situations because they are afraid of building new ones - its a skill we need but rarely learn.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Humans seem to be prone to avoiding change, even badly needed change. Probably makes for stability, but not for progress.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice quote Gloria. I have to agree. Often it is the bad times that make us reach deeper for an answer.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think we would all be much healthier if we sang and laughed out loud every day.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have a friend who is a Unitarian minister and she told me once as we discussed past miseries of mine and how much I had grown form them, that "Most of the things that make us grow are not things we would sign up for." I have remembered that all these years when I have to go through bad times.

Santa Fe, NM

All these things are true! Hmmm. If I wrote a self help book I was thinking it would be funny; at least to me! I agree with Dahlia about laughing and dancing. I would add, being "authentic" which could mean so many different things I can't even begin to think of them this busy morning. Boundaries, being able to say "No" without feeling defensive. Not being rigidly attached to specific outcomes or ways of doing things. To change an unpleasant situation I have to detach from it for awhile and just think in an unemotional way and investigate alternatives including that the situation may be better than the alternatives! One has to give oneself time and energy to do that. We are all too busy!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

My son is being "authentic" today. (I've edited this for his own privacy)

Thumbnail by kTalia
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

He is darling!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I like the authentic part. Fits in with Gloria's idea on unplayed music. Also, something on priorities and balance to help with the "too busy" syndrome.

Greensboro, AL

Ive had more than one experience with "denial" where something you are totally committed to, turns out to be not what you thought it was.

Authentic is really a high priority. Hopefully over the years one would learn to recognize it when we see it!

Looks like that kid knows already!

Reno, NV

Great quote. Great photo. I think we know alot when we're kids. Or at least aren't burdened with so many social expectations, like getting dressed =)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think it is preferrable that most people be dressed. The reason to wear clothes is not just for yourself. :)

Reno, NV

Lol. Could be an interesting distraction ;) But the point is there. We certaintaly aren't born knowing about clothes.

Greensboro, AL

I once was invited to a party at a commune. I went with 2 guys. (I am female). All of the people at the party had on clothes - except for one woman. It was a little distracting to me. One of the guys I was with said he had to leave early. He just couldn't take it.

Reno, NV

=) see cultural. But I admit I seriously would not want to have everyone in the office in their birthday suits.

Santa Fe, NM

Young children are pretty darn authentic! They haven't learned to "cover up", so to speak. It must be getting to be summer because 2 or 3 months ago we wouldn't have even been talking about not wearing clothes! Cute kiddo, kTalia. If I wrote a self-help book it would be called, "Help Yourself!" and eating good things would be at least one chapter if not several. I know people who would keel over and die on the spot if I wrote a self-help book. My poor mother would be turning over in her grave! My D.H. would be rolling his eyes, as he sometimes does when I give him advice.

Greensboro, AL

I want to read the book!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too, roybird. You are a fun and authentic person and I would love to see you lay out how to get that way. I agree with all of what you say. KTalia, your little guy is adorable and not worried about what people will think. Alas, he, like the rest of us will have to grow up and learn not to run around naked with only a flag to wave. But it is wonderful to see his picture and know the his innocence and this time.
I, being a child of the 60's, once attended the Summer Solstice celebration put on that year and many others in the meadows that roybird won a prize for photographing last year. Almost everyone went naked and stoned, except me. I was a newly hired school teacher and was not about to have some student of mine see me naked and stoned. I was profoundly uncomfortable being clothed and sober. It was an interesting experience but I didn't stay very long.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

If I wrote a self-help book, it would be called "Quit Worrying So Much!" I think an admiral goal is to use every single bit of everything you've been given to enjoy every bit of life. I wish to use all my bits in my never ending quest to live my life the way I choose. I'm pretty sure I won't be an organ donor... not because I don't wish to help someone else, but because I plan on using all of my organs to their absolute fullest while I live. I have a good friend that is 87 years old,who can drink me under the table, has a "boy toy" (he's 77) of 25 years, she dances, and plays pool, has traveled extensively, and I can barely keep up with her! She does have bits that are giving out on her, and she keeps telling me that we should all quit at 80... after that everything falls apart, but I've advised her to keep on using all her bits... which of course she will.

Greensboro, AL

bsavage. I thought 70 was the cut off age, but now that Im nearly there I know there is no cut off age. What a waste to give up your "bits" at any age! And what an affront for someone to tell you - Oh. You shouldn't be doing that at YOUR age.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think that is the right idea. I do not intend to grow old gracefully. I intend to wear out raggedly having way too much fun along the way.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm certainly in process for wearing out parts.

Greensboro, AL

Ive found that the parts don't really wear out usually - they are tortured to death. We don't find out what "reasonable care" means until its bordering on too late.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

OK now you got me interested. Summer Solstice celebration occurs in Tonasket WA every year and I often go. Everyone is clothed early and when the kid go to bed everyone gathers around a huge bonfire. There is singing, dancing, playing musical instruments, and talking while naked. It is glorious. The joy is wonderful, the communication through music is surprisingly moving, few are attractive so everyone is comfortable, yes pot is smoked by a few but the rest are there to 'live' in a moment of release from social bonds. I celebrate a creator different than those there, because I am a Christian but the prayers of thankfulness to Him are moving with a freedom that he expected with Adam and Eve.
Authenticity is experienced with the exposure, and learned from these brief moments of freedom. There is no way to cover up who you are there. LOL I'll quit.

Greensboro, AL

That sounds like the party I went to at Summertown TN - except when I was there only one girl came undressed. I guess that was an invitation to anyone else, though, who might want to follow suite.

Summertown TN is a commune even today although the event I describe was back in the '70s.

Reno, NV

Some reason this thread has the poem 'Phenomenal Woman' stuck in my head.
Here's a link if you feel like reading it (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/phenomenal-woman/)

Greensboro, AL

A powerful poem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.