Going down to 25 tonight! A Rant.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I know someone who fits the poem (in addition to Maya).

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOVE that poem... I think it needs to find a place somewhere in my garden. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. My 87 year old friend is one of my favorite friends... she is a hoot. Hope I didn't give the wrong impression... she makes light of some of the physical challenges she has had to face in her later years. ☺

Santa Fe, NM

That's a good poem! I'm trying to remember if I ever ran around naked at some sort of festival. I did like skinny dipping at any opportunity!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I gave up skinny dippy cuz I kept misplacing my clothes which is very embarrassing (blush).

Santa Fe, NM

And then you would have to dress in leaves and mud, which can lead to skin irritation!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Folks, I have to tell you,now having met dahlianut she sure does look a lot like Marlene Dietrich!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

But of course!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

She IS Marlenee Dietrich!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

shhhhh it's sposed to be a secret

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

OK. I won't tell anyone.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A Garden History Item today: 1930: A farmer was killed by hail in Lubbock, Texas. It is the only known human death due to hail.

.... so far :O :O

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I find it hard to believe only one death from hail. I was in a 1.5 billion dollar hailstorm in Fort Worth, in a show tent, with soft ball sized hail and 80 mph winds. A police officer was knocked out while shielding two children from the hail. I was under my jewelry counter as the tent did not survive the onslaught.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I thought about your experience mulch when I read that. It seems iffy that there has only been 1 death.

Reno, NV

Skinny dipping is always good. Running around bare at festival always ends up with me haveing bug bites in uncomfortable places.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

My rant, aside from the city council which dislikes my grass clippings now, is my scanner. Nothing wrong with my scanner except I will be hearing it in my sleep, after doing well over 200 scans today.

I have scanned the illustrations for a book my husband has been painting plus many many pages of my cousin's letters to my mother in the late forties. He lived in Bozeman, was a journalist and cartoonist, so some of the letters are quite fun. The Museum of the Rockies may want the letters so I was archiving them digitally before taking them over there.

I am sick of scanning letters. He wrote long letters, sometimes folded into booklets. He had ingenious ways of numbering them that varied from one letter to the next. Paper sizes varied. I am not done yet either. But I am definitely done for the day.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

You are a dedicated scanner indeed! I don't think I would have the stamina, frankly, though it is surely a worthy project!

Sweet dreams. Maybe the scanner sounds will morph into a nice fairy percussion section in the garden party of the night...... ;-) we shall dance our shoes off.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Your cousin sounds like my husband. He always has some clever hidden meanings in the things he does. He loves puzzles and mind games. He actually reads huge books about patterns and logic patterns and I don't know. Stuff I could never stay awake long enough to get through. I love him so much, but sometimes he just baffles me, which just makes me love him more.

What does the museum think they will do with the letters out of curiosity?

Greensboro, AL

. . . a nice fairy percussion section in the garden party of the night...

kyla: I love this sentiment. For several months now I have percussion music pervading my house from the project next door. It makes me so tense and nervous I have begun grinding my teeth. The dentist says to save my face from damage I have to have a stint made that I will have to put in my mouth to keep from grinding and cracking my teeth every time I go to sleep - for the rest of my life.

It should be easier to turn off the music. So far the police cannot locate exactly where its coming from.

Or, maybe turn off the tension by imagining that it is a garden party.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I don't know yet if the letters even fit the parameters of their collection. They are interested in using the letters to corroborate various events in Bozeman history in particular. They will have to look at them to know, and if the content doesn't fit what they seek, they will help me find an appropriate local placement for the letters in other museums etc. Whatever happens, they do have to be digitally archived.

One of the more interesting letters deals with the massive blizzard in 1949. His father was driving road grader (he called it motorgrader) for the county. They could not keep the roads open, and the government came in with bulldozers. Sometimes it took two or three bulldozers followed by a road grader just to break the drifts down to having the road passable. Then they got several "Weasels" from the army. Even at that the side roads were blocked for weeks. All the county equipment broke constantly because of such heavy continuous use. It was an amazing mess.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I can only imagine! Today we think it's messy, but wow, back then I'm sure it was much messier than we snivel about today. : )

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mulch how lucky you are to have that family history saved! The scanning thing is a bummer though.

Greensboro, AL

mulch: I wish more people would learn to save their family histories. I was curator of a house museum here for many years. People would call me and ask me how to save family relics. One woman said she found a letter written during the Civil War. It was torn so she scotch taped it back together. I told her to record the information and throw the letter away. Scotch tape is not an archival product it turns yellow and destroys the paper.

A better thing to do would have been to put the letter in an archival acid-free paper envelope and keep those envelopes in an acid free box. There are also sleeves so the writing could be displayed in something like an album. University Products is one supplier of archival products.

An important thing to do is put some kind of id on photographs. Old photographs with no identification. I finally learned to recognize photographs of family members in the historic house here, from their distinctive noses.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Gloria you have my deepest sympathies with the obtrusive night noise. I hope that situation eases for you, goodness.

I have a cousin who takes great pleasure in preserving all our family history from the maternal line, for which I am thankful as it is one of those important tasks I have little taste for, though not as bad as having dog placenta one's pillow as ref. Sofer in the confessions thread! LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Moo of EMoo keeps a journal but since she makes things up if she doesn't like the truth I don't think it will be historically significant.

Reno, NV

I got to go to a huge family reunion of my fathers side a few years back. It was an absolute blast. I had called and left a message letting them know that I'd be there, identified myself as James daughter. When I got there they had me fill in my family line on a huge (like wall size) family tree. Apparently they were lost because my great grandfather was James, who didn't have any daughters. And they knew that they were missing the youngest boy from my grandpa Glenn (my dad) but didn't know how I fit in. They pretty much figured I was an Eckman and we'd figure it out when I got there.

The reunion was on one of the family farms. Everyone brought photo ablums, old letters from family members, poetry that was hidden inside a wall at one of the family houses, the journals of one a father in the 1800s detailing his ministry. We had a talent night where everyone sang and told jokes. I was one of the most wonderful experiances.

I think you may have reinspired me to work on the scrap books of my family photos. Someday I want to be able to take those to the reunions.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a great experience duchess!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Sounds like you had a great time, Duchess! I can't say that I much like our family reunions, so I don't go to them. There are a handful of family members I really like and the rest of them, well, let's just say we might as well live on different planets. That would be the most polite way to describe it!

Reno, NV

That sucks Mulch. Tho it's still pretty lucky to have even a handful that you like =). I'm tremendously lucky with most of my family. And while there are some that I'd never end up being close too we have a great time when we get together.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, families are just what they are, and many of them are messes. But my husband's family is close, not in distance, but in other ways. I like them a lot and we share certain standards of decency and helping one another, so it works well. Plus they are fun too.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I too like my husband's aunts and uncles more than my own for the most part. My moms brothers and sisters (eight of them) are quite competitive and there are always little squabbles with everyone taking sides. And the family hobby seems to be complaining so that's even more fun. I'm so glad my mom didn't turn into a complainer like her siblings, I prefer the company of happy people.

DH's aunt from Houston is the family clown and is always giving her sister grief about being so serious. It's entertaining because she's the only one who can get away with it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

EMoo is from fams of 12 kidlings each. I think everyone in Canada is my cousin.

Santa Fe, NM

I have quite a few old photos from my mother's parents. I wrote on the backs in pencil who was who. Probably ruined them. I also have a box of old post cards. I discovered that an artist I met who now lives in Taos, New Mexico is a distant relative. He had done quite a bit of research on his family tree so it was interesting. I love my little brothers and their families and I enjoy D.H.'s siblings to some extent but I am not much of a family person. Too much of a loner, I think. Altho, I am very close to my brothers.

Greensboro, AL

In the South you have to be related to someone that somebody knows - otherwise people would not know how to talk to you. It doesn't really matter if you really are in a genetic sense - if your name even sounds like some family name they know it will be just fine.

For example my family name is "Hulett", but someone here knows a family in Birmingham named "Hewlett" of course we MUST be related - even though there is no possibility that we are.

Greensboro, AL

Roybird: pencilled identifications on the backs of photos increase there value. No. 2 pencil is fine even though it doesn't hold up very well down through the years.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have tons of old family photos no one labeled and I have no idea who a lot of them are. Will end up in the trash as a result, but have not bothered to sort them yet. Writing on the back is excellent! If you get serious, you can get archival ink pens at art supply stores.

Santa Fe, NM

I have them. Plus archival paper, tape, and all manner of stuff. I think, tho, that styrofoam packing materials and plastic bottles will be the ultimate archival materials of our time! I should go through the pictures to re-label. I have my grandpa's report cards from grade school, too! But, I may have thrown those out. Every so often I do things like that. I have never regretted it!

Greensboro, AL

I think important things to save are photographs that show a good full face or 3/4 face view. If you have a photo with a characteristic scene like I have a photo of my grandfather with a pair of oxen that he used on the farm.
Love letters are always good. Other stuff you have to pick and choose - does it say anything about the person? Newspaper articles cut and put in an acid free envelope or sleeve. Diaries would be interesting for grandchildren to read. I thought finding a lock of hair in an old book was intrigueing. Notes in an old cook book. Manuscripts are interesting - even technical one's.

True. We keep too much junk.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I had only finished a baby album for each of the boys (the oldest is 6). I've decided with the huge push towards digital these days just to start doing our albums from this point on digitally and of course, making multiple back-ups. I can get nice albums printed easily and quickly anymore for special occasions if I want a book to look at. Much easier that way.

Greensboro, AL

One of the things I enjoyed at the historic house was a trip to Cuba that one of the brothers and two sisters took after the Spanish American War. It was a photo album. It was interesting to see people who every one thought of as "old" in their twenties in a place that most Americans will never see. There was another photo album of family members going to the 1900s world exposition in New Orleans.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Alas, I am estranged from my family, and only have a few pictures of them. My father, with whom I had a brief completely unsatisfactory meeting about 3 years ago, has been keeping all the family photos -- and claims to be writing a book about his family's pictures. No one has seen it, though, so I am not entirely convinced it exists. I have seen the pictures though. He has some wonderful pictures of the early part of the century in and around Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
Unfortunately, I doubt that I will ever see any of this because I am the family scapegoat. Long story there. They didn't even tell me of my mother's illness and death. I found out on the internet.
My DH's family is equally nutty, and we will inherit a trunk full of pictures of his family. Unfortunately, I think even my MIL doesn't know who a lot of them are, and we definitely don't. I dread going through her things when she finally passes on. She has amassed tons of stuff that is not good enough to sell and too good to throw away. Things are really important to both my DH's family and mine. We also have too much junk but I am becoming more aware of the need to get rid of it and hopefully will do a lot of getting rid of stuff. Unfortunately, getting rid of stuff competes with gardening. I should do it in the winter I suppose.
If we have a chance I will try to get MIL to identify the people in the pictures -- that she can identify. She also has 2 family bibles with birth records. We will be able to look at those, as well. Right now she can't find them, but we are pretty sure we know where they are. I think I could find them, but right now we are mainly dealing with her health issues.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.