Going down to 25 tonight! A Rant.

Greensboro, AL

http://www.flixxy.com/bear-animal-nature-film.htm

Here is a clip from the film: The Bear.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Did you see the Irish Wolfhound Pajarito? What an incredible dog. We also watched the dancers some. Didn't hold as much interest for Zerbeebee so we didn't stay too long.

I'll give Zerbeebee another iteration on still wanting to learn bagpipes to see if it sticks (which I think it will). I also need to find a place that gives lessons and inquire as to whether bagpipes are age appropriate as they may require a larger person in order to supply enough air. As for playing outside, my current plan is for ME to go outside and play in the garden while Zerbeebee stays in the house. I don't want to incite my neighbors either.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I did see it. It was wonderful! Both DH and I petted it and loved it. Well, maybe at first you should go outside. Later the neighbors will enjoy it.
There are various bagpipe groups and teachers in New Mexico. I don't know the names but could easily find some names by talking to pipers up here, if you turn out to need one.

Reno, NV

Gloria very pretty song but not the one I was thinking of. My fav line from the lyrics is 'song song blues sleeping on my pillow, song song bules weepen like a willow'

I'm not sure if he will follow up with the banjo but he's already a choir boy ;) Most beutiful counter tenor. Used to sing with the Silver Dollor Chorus but had to give it up for now. Cant afford the membership dues, custumes or travel to the competitions. Right now he's thinking of volunteering for the local opra company, for the choir. That's the one I really hope he'll go for. He's so happy when he's singing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds like your DH is a very talented guy! I am sure there will be a place for him where he doesn't have to pay to sing!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm saved! There is a version of the Great Highland Bagpipes called the Smallpipes. The are made for indoors.

Greensboro, AL

duchessdreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rCiY3SgRQ

The Neil Diamond song?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's the one I remember.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that sounds perfect for Zerbeebee to get started!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I also found two pipe bands in Albuquerque that hold weekly teaching/practice sessions. We plan on visiting one tonight.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That will give Zerbeebee a chance to talk with other pipers and maybe hook up with a mentor too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I was hoping you would find one of those bands. Kids here in Los Alamos work with one -- I don't know which, but it seems to really help them sustain their interest in piping. Buy some earplugs, Dave. You will hear just fine through bone conduction!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, I think it will be a good thing for him to hook up with some real musicians.

Greensboro, AL

Good advice Paj: I think a lot of musicians do have hearing damage.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the bagpipe band. DH really got into it.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Greensboro, AL

They all look like they are really having fun!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Zerbeebee and I were standing just on the musicians right side (left side of the picture). A couple seconds earlier on the snap and we'd have been in the picture.

I will have to get some ear plugs. Zerbeebee's trombone is also loud.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They did seem to be. It was a great occasion for people to dress up and be Celtic for the day. Here is the Irish Wolfhound -- or is it a Scottish Deerhound -- I think the latter. He was a big hit -- with DH and me. Very sweet animal.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here are my iris beds -- originally intended for vegetables.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

They look happy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Irises love it, but I want my veggie patch back. Will be moving them to the front as I dig out holes in the rock for them. Here is a closer up picture of them.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You even have them labeled.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think when we have a particular passion other things get mosied out. I luv your iris beds paj and can understand how the vegies got mosied out. The border dahlias are slowly mosying out the greens in the herb/veggie bed in my garden. They are hipchecking out the driveway too ^_^

Dave-who-is-Dave don't forget about earplugs for Zerbeebee too.

Greensboro, AL

Those are blooming now? The iris here finished a couple of weeks ago. Spring goes so fast.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes it does. My iris in the veggie beds are blooming but the ones in the yard are just starting. I think I will have a few for the show this weekend if they don't get ruined by rain and hail. It is really pretty here right now -- spring does go fast. Here, though, than isn't necessarily a bad thing. Our weather is windy and dry and miserable most of the spring. And it is freezing one day and hot the next.
I am not a big fan of entering flower shows, but I do like to attend them. But as a club member I am encouraged to enter the shows so the public will have lots of iris to see. It is a nice idea so I do it. But a serious irisarian would be out putting spacers between the stem and the buds that are toed in toward the stem and other tricks so they will look good in the show. I just cut them, put them in a bucket, and take them to the show. I got a few ribbons last time, but I really didn't expect it because I didn't work at it. I grow iris for my own pleasure, not for showing. But I do keep track of the names. Edited to add that this one is Diabolique.

This message was edited May 21, 2009 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Greensboro, AL

Mine are scattered around the yard from various landscaping ideas I had in the past. They were just beautiful this year. I need to go find all of them and put them in one place so I can enjoy them when they bloom. I usually make little sketch maps so that I have a record of what I planted because the tags are invariably lost in time.

Ive used cut up venetian blinds because that's what I had access to, but they are not exactly a permanent record either.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sometimes people bury the venetian blinds tags under the iris. I haven't tried it but I gather they last longer when buried. Anyhow, venetian blind labels even above ground are longer lasting than most of the labels I have devised over the years. Finally when the numbers of irises in my gardens rose to 300, I bought a Brother label maker and I use laminated tape for the names. Those last very well.
Give three cheers! it is actually raining here for the first time in I don't know when. Weather persons are suggesting that our monsoon season may be starting early. I don't know but it was getting dangerously dry. Even the little bit of rain we have received so far will really help preventing forest fires. Yahoo!

Santa Fe, NM

I like the iris beds better than vegetable beds! Very neat and pretty.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will find room for both. It will just take a lot of work. Veggie beds now need wire liners to keep gophers out. They wouldn't be any more helpful with veggies than they are with iris, though veggie plants are usually cheaper than iris plants. I will have some very nice iris blooming in a more traditional setting soon -- the front yard and the front patio. They are just about ready to pop. I hope at least one of each kind does in time for the show. Here's a wild one named Temporal Anomaly. This one is currently living in a flower pot and has been since last summer. Irises are incredibly forgiving.

This message was edited May 21, 2009 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Santa Fe, NM

Very nice.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, no one has posted here for almost two hours, so perhaps tis the moment to seize, to plant a *New Rants Thread*!

going to do that, gosh, this one got way too long.............

Annnnnnnnnd here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/992015/

This message was edited May 21, 2009 9:59 PM

Reno, NV

Gloria- excatly that song =) Now I'm off to the new one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.