Anyone else nuts for PETUNIAS?

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love watching for the new petunias each year. Anyone see any great ones so far?

Supertunia Raspberry Blast was my favorite for the last 2 years.

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/detail.cfm?photoID=8265

Thumbnail by Kell

I think this one is Petunia multiflora 'Dolce Fragolino.' Could be Petunia multiflora Dolce Flambe.

I love it. It overwintered for me and I already have a huge pot of it in huge bloom for about a month.

Thumbnail by Kell

I am looking for the name of this one. It is a soft lavender with white.

Thumbnail by Kell

This one is so pretty. Lemon Zest.

Thumbnail by Kell

This is from a new series to me, Mini Me. Mini Me Pink Star. A tiny bloom with the cutest shape.

Thumbnail by Kell

I didn't get these but thought the were cute. I saw them at Walmart for $6 a pack. They were minis too. Shock Wave.

Thumbnail by Kell

Here is a new one I am desperate to see in real life. I am not sure it will come out this year or next.

Picture from http://www.greenhousegrower.com/articles/image/Pack Trials 2...

It has a GREEN rim! LOL

Pretty Much Picasso™

Thumbnail by Kell
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Well I'll join you here with my Dolce Flambe, just so I can see what follows in this thread!
Saw those WM 6 pks yesterday and thought of you.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Kell, you are speaking my language! LOL You are my PPIC (petunia partner in crime). I feel as if I spend way too much time looking around for a different petunia. I find myself heading straight for the petunias when I go to nurseries. I just love your Supertunia Raspberry Blast and I'll have it this year even if I have to order it.

You would really enjoy the Shock Waves. They are really sweet little blooms and bloomed for me profusely last year. Here they are after being planted for just a few weeks.

Thumbnail by Brinda

Oh WOW my friends showed up to my petunia party! LOL. I love you guys! I woudl be all alone here if not for you both.

Hey do you notice that I got pictures on this Annual Forum so we can just zoom down the main page looking for what moves us? Terry fixed it for us.

Such a cute bike, Brinda. PS Do not order it. Though I forgot to look for that begonia today for you. Tomorrow!

Sue, I am so hot to find new petunias! Brinda has been making me petunia mad for over a month sending me links so now I send her as many. We pant together. LOL

I so think mine above is Petunia multiflora Dolce Fragolino after looking at yours above, Sue. I tell you I got crosseyed last night looking on google at the Dolces trying to figure it all out.

Brinda, did I show you my petunia tippy pots? My husband who helped me set it up because I have issues in life, actually told me last night he thought it was pretty! I was so shocked. He rarely comments on my plants or if he does it is not very nice. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell

I went with my Mom to Regans today, nothing struck me in the petunia department as I don't do the hot pinks and nothing real special. I did get this double last week in at Kings in Santa Rosa. Has a little bit of green/yellow in the center.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

That is so pretty. I love the hint of green! Anything else great at Regans? I think I am going to go North this next week. I want to go to Lone PIne.

Here is Compact Lime. This one would look great with yours in a together in a pot.

Thumbnail by Kell

Is that another online teaser picture? I need that one and the Lemon Zest!

I took this at my Mom's today, I do like that color.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

That color would look great with the lime green!

Longs has all 3! The purple and Compact Lime is $16 and they have big pots of the Lemon Zest for $19.

Thumbnail by Kell

Why can't they have them in 6 pks? That's kinda high. But I love Compact Lime!

I agree for petunias! But I have never seen the fancy ones in 6 packs. At least you would get a whole season of color out of the pot.

They had this pretty pink which I thought would look great with the Compact Lime.

Compact Nostaliga.

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh that is pretty! And such a soft pink.
It seems they only do the fancies in big pots so I may have to splurge. If I can save seeds when they are done, maybe I'll do good with them next year.
Ok, I'm off to bed, I am seeing double and it's not the petunias! Maybe I'll dream about them though.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I sort of lost interest in them a few years ago but kinda like Marigolds the Petunias are calling to me again lately:lol:

The fancy ones are hard to find in smaller packs--guess growing from the cuttings or the seeds cost more initially so the cost in passed on in the price of the large containers=(

I found Dreams Midnight Blue (or Blue Midnight) at walmart the other day--had read here it was fragrant and IT IS:) Really nice scent too. Will have to pick up some when I head back to work.

The Vista Bubblegum pink one and Laura Bush one get rave reviews for pinks/violets too. The Dolce series are gorgeous--I have seeds but haven't tried them yet--think I have to now:) The Daddy series with the veins are some I love too--especially Blue and Strawberry.

OK, just got back from SummerWinds, they had some doubles in 6 pks and a few nice striped and veined ones too. Got a couple of 6 pks and a couple of the smaller Tidal Wave ones, Cherry Hedge and Wave Blue.
Here are some I saw there.
A 6 pk of Pirouette Red

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Another one

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

They had 6 pks of Ultra Crimson Star

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

I bought a 6 pk of the Merlin Blue

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

They had these pink double cascade mix 6 pks, a blurry shot

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

This was in the same pack

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

I bought a mixed 6 pk that had 1 white, 1 Merlin Blue, some of these...Sugar Madness

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

All beautiful--must have been hard to choose:lol:

and 1 of this purple & white star one

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

It was hard but I managed to muddle through, :-) adding a large bloom lavender calibrachoa, a couple of nemesia, a couple of the lime green bacopa and a soft yellow ostepspermum that had faint lavender hues so they should all mix well together.

Kell, you want my 6 pk of the Tidal Wave Cherry? It wasn't blooming so I was hoping it would be a darker plum, just looked it up, to bright fuchsia for me.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/166690/
I need to pick up that tree from you too , before you change your mind!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love petunias & start most from seed. This year I have several different trailing varieties. Easy Wave mix, Blue Wave, Shock Wave mix, Baby Duck, Silver Tidal Wave, Hot Pink, Tidal Wave, Lilac Ice Opera Supreme, Pink Morn Opera Supreme, Lavender Wave, Salmon Velvet, Purple Velvet, Avalanche Grape, Explorer Coral, Double Cascade mix, Superbissima, Yellow Limonchello, Picobella Mix, Ramblin' Razzleberry Mix

I also buy (not available in seed) Supertunia Vista (fushia this year).

My most favorite annual and have them everywhere every year. Still too early here to have them out, so I will post pictures in a few weeks. This is one of my favorite pictures of Blue Waves

Thumbnail by joannabanana

LOL DMac, a Laura Bush petunia
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/cemap/petunialaura/petunialaura.html

Dreams Midnight Blue
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/3237.html

I had to look those up! Petunias just scream COLOR to me. Funny, I bought a marigold yesterday. A weird one. A lady in front of me in line said they got huge so I ran out and grabbed a pot. Day of the Dead Golden Yellow Such a name.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=2342

WOW Sue, you went nursery hopping and did not invite me?? Great photos. I just love Pirouette Red. I bought Merlin Blue a couple of weeks ago. It grows straight up, no cascading there. LOL I had this one last year but in pink/ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6485249

LOL Sue, really your lime green tree is getting settled here. LOL Thanks but I do not buy Wave ones. They did great here for the first year and then refused to do well.

Joanna, what a beautiful picture. You are nuts for petunias. LOL. I have to look up a bunch of yours. You have great taste! LOL

Lilac Ice Opera Supreme
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/226950/

Oh I must have some of these! I have never seen them before. Superbissima. How hard are they to grow from seed? http://www.tmseeds.com/product/4615.html

Pink Morn Opera Supreme is very pretty! http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/1644/

Look at this one. FRILLYTUNIA BURGUNDY PETUNIA
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fleuroselect.com/reduce.asp%3Fgrootte%3D228%26pad%3D1%26afb%3D2005-293.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fleuroselect.com/quality-awards/details.aspx%3Fid%3D304&usg=___kKWJ_NpIeICkUvMptYJlcUXvhQ=&h=228&w=228&sz=16&hl=en&start=2&sig2=HFhhjGTJsmmCH8ohLjltjg&um=1&tbnid=bK3ktA0YQknGSM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFRILLYTUNIA%2BBURGUNDY%2BPETUNIA%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF-8&ei=cHX6Saq2N56ktAOQ1d3qAQ

I was at HD and saw a big table of these. I thought they were so pretty., Some would say the old not so special ones but shoot, such an eye popping sight! And such big flowers too. $3.99/gallon.

Thumbnail by Kell

I took another picture of my new double white today, this I like. Need to find more.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Kell will your petunias make it through the summer in your zone? Here in Texas they do well through the spring and then poop out when the heat gets here which is real soon for me.

The pictures are wonderful; makes me want to go out and buy more petunias; I just have a few in hanging pots. LOL

Enjoying the pictures!

Patty

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful 'Tunia Parade this morning! Everything is just so pretty!!!

Patty, you can't grown petunias down there? Oh no, you have shattered my dreams of wanting to move south. LOL What about the waves? Especially the Shock Wave, they did so good for me last year. And the Easy Waves did too. My Tidal Waves did spectacular but if the soil got the least bit dry they would just croak, or maybe it was a bug of some sort... I could never figure it out.

Here's a 12" pot (2 plants) of Tidal Wave Purple that smelled so good every evening.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes you can grow them here Brinda. You can actually plant them in the winter and they make it and bloom beautifully starting as early as Jan. or Feb. By March, April and May they are rocking and a rolling like your picture above. It's just late into the summer that they really have a hard time especially if you have them planted in full sun. I think my gardening book for this area says to plant them in the fall, like Sept.- Mar. (that would be seeds). Pentas, Vinca, & Zinnias are better annuals for late in the summer here than petunias. They actually do well in part sun here also. All hope is not lost girlfriend. Come on down . . .

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Kell, I forgot to mention that I love your tipsy pots. Actually I just love those pots and they look great like that. You did a fabulous job. Now I have to find something that 'moves Allan' to get him to help me make some. Guess I best get some more pots... LOL ... always a need!

Joanna, that picture is just so inviting! They are all so pretty!!!

Oh Patty, I feel so much better now. Whew, I thought I was going to have to figure out another place to retire to.

Patty, some made it even thru winter! A few now are labeled as perennials and by gosh they are!

Brin, when the waves first came out I had tons of them. They were incredible. Then the next couple of years they sucked. A friend told me they had a virus. I do not know. I was so sad. They are solanums and maybe my brugs had viruses that killed them off. I haven't tried them since.

Thanks Brin. We attached a support wire to the arbor behind them for they are so heavy. I have to get Tom to help me put up my next one. Did you see my pots I bought for them? I love them. I got them half off. I am getting used to their lightness in color.

PS I thought you would retire where I am. I am so crushed.

Thumbnail by Kell

I forgot to tell Pretty Sue that HD had the Lemon Zests in big gallon pots for $5.99.

Thumbnail by Kell

They also had these HUGE pink flowers that I almost bought. I am such a plant pig for big and gaudy. Anyone know the name?

Thumbnail by Kell

The plant was a spreader too.

Thumbnail by Kell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images