Coleus Chatters thru May 10th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi all you Coleus Addicts! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/978830/#new

I do not believe it is already May and now I feel like I am so far behind on everything! We have had rain for a week now and everything is drenched. I should gripe about it as we really needed it but I am still trying to clear a few things out so I can get things potted up. Oh well... what would I do if I were ahead of the game? LOL

I always loved Huey Lewis and I really like the beat of this song. It puts a spring in my step. LOL (and I need it)

New york, new york, is everything they say
And no place that Id rather be
Where else can you do a half a million things
All at a quarter to three
When they palt their music, ooh that modern music
They like it with a lot of style
But ts still that same old back beat rhythm
That really drives em wild

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what Ive seen I believe em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll is still beating

La, hollywood, and the sunset strip
Is something everyone should see
Neon lights and the pretty pretty girls
All dressed so scantily
When they play their music
That hard rock music
They like it with a lot of flash
But its still that same old back beat rhythm
That really kicks em in the

Dc, san antone and the liberty town, boston and baton rouge
Tulsa, austin, oklahoma city, seattle, san francisco, too
Everywhere theres music, real live music, bands with a million styles
But its still that some old rock and roll music
That really drives em wild

Crank it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZFqA8JJQj0

Instead of working inside this week I have spent most of my time searching for petunias. Kell told me that she thought I needed Petunia CPR but I've decided that I must need Plant CPR as I am beyond help anymore. I keep putting plants outside and having to bring them back in when storms come and I am so tired of it. I've decided to leave them out and hope for the best. Wish me luck! LOL

Here is a link from onewish that I didn't want to get buried at the end of the old thread., she's a good plant mommy! http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/onewish1/11249/

You had great luck with your lantana, please tell me your secret as they always die on me.

Fire Dragon... I love this coleus!

Thumbnail by Brinda
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Brinda. no name coleus>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't mind at all... not sure what lantana secret I hold... I did them just like all the others... re-cut the bottoms... if they were larger cuttings the lower leaves came off... dip in rooting liquid... and planted... covered with a dome.... nothing more

love that fire dragon

(Zone 9b)

Cathy, those are the clay thingies that Sue wants to make a border and fill with succulents. She can't find any. We saw them used at a show and they were very cool. I love your mystery coleus too!

Patty you are finding so many cool coleus and big ones too. Here things are going slowly. Few gallon cans yet. I hate paying $4.99 for a 4 inch unless it is real special. None real special yet.

OK Miss Brinderful, I am a listening to Huey hoping for some energy. I have so much to do and want to just sit here.

Dale, are all these no names? I love the combo so much I want it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6497979

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

i found Indian Summer coleus at Lowe's!

Hallelujah!

it's been a blah weather weekend, and it's continuing... but at least it's not cold. i'm itching to plant my coleus outside!

hi all!

joy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy,

I am sure there are many more Coleus in your furture....just wait for the good weather.

How about some nice Angelonia>

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Dale- angelonia was "new" here last year- and it shook its fist at the heat all summer long. One of the most exciting plants to come along in a while.

James

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

It did well for me last year too, James. I just planted three angelonia last weekend in my front bed; just loves the heat.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And for shade - Torenia - needs water to look it's best>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We have been using Angelonia for a long time - very popular too.

(Zone 9b)

Angelonia does not do great at my house. I wonder if it is because I am not hot enough here.

I got a few coleus today. Some were starting flowers. I pinched them out before I ever left the store, but do you think I should have passed on them? Will they just keep trying to flower on me now?

Here is my favorite one from today. No name on it.

Thumbnail by Kell
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kell,

Angelonia is a low elevation Tropical, meaning hot and humid. I have never thought of NorCal as tropical....or hot & humid.

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

kell,

is that florida sun splash?

angelonia is mesmerizing planted en masse. now i have to look for it:)

joy

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale has posted some really great pictures of angelonia en masse lately. I love the dark purple/pink combo. I just bought three angelonias about a week ago.

Kell I would think if it keeps blooming on you that you should at least be able to get some cuttings on it that wouldn't bloom.

I like torenia, but it doesn't do well here. Just too hot.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

Patty, same here with torenia. People have pretty much quit buying it. In Florida, with the high humidity, it has a better chance than here. You have high humidity, but your temps are higher than in FL.

(Zone 9b)

They sell angelonias all over here too. Some great bicolors too. I bought it when it first came out, must be 5 or 6 years ago. But now that I think about it, I never see it in yards. No real humidity here and temps usually stay in the 70s where I am. Florida seems like such a great place for plants. Begonias I have seen growing there make me green with envy.

Thank you Joy! Sure looks like it! They were fat little 4 inchers for $2.99. Then the checker charged me $3.99 each. I have been noticing how I am overcharged a lot lately at stores. I wish they had more than just the one kind.

Maybe I will have to try that, Patty if it keeps trying to flower. Actually there were 2 or 3 of them trying to flower. I was so happy to see some I didn't care at the moment.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Begonia does well here.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

That is HUGE. I have never seen a begonia that big. I would say it does well there for sure.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Begonia, 5 months in this container from 6" pots>

Stockholm, Sweden

Dale - the pretty one to the right with white spots on its leaves I have had for many years - but bought it unlabeled. Always eager to learn more about my colorful darlings, may I ask if you know its name?

....The basket and the plants ... just gorgeous.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

beautiful begonias Dale!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Torenia was great here the first year I had it. Last year it was awful and I didn't buy any for this season. I really liked it because I have a lot of shade here. I wonder why some plants do well one year and not the next in virtually the same conditions. Would it have to do with the stock that they come from? Just curious.

Someone make the rain stop please! Just for a few days to dry out. I live on top of a hill and it is a swamp up here. The Potomac is flooding below me and this is not good for business.

Juanita

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Juanita I sure wish you could send that rain my way; we our in great need of rain.

(Zone 9b)

Love that begonia pot! That first begonia grows huge here too. The Strybing has a small hedge of it. I managed to kill it. LOL. Not quite.

Juanita, I had the same problem with Wave petunias. The first year they got huge and were just so pretty. The next 2 years they languished. I thought maybe they caught a virus from my brugmansia. They are from the same family and share virus. Brugs are such virus prone plants.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Brinda, look, look it's sunshine finally... No rain. Hello everybody! Dale, your flower pictures are so pretty.

Well, I finally was able to wade the mud back to my coleus bed and I only lost one (Beckworth) to two weeks of rain. I was so scared I was going to have root rot or something, but so far everything looks okay, just a little muddy.

Somebody, I really tried to look but couldn't find it quick, said they use foliar (sp) spray. Is that anything special for coleuses or just off the shelf variety?

Going to go enjoy this sunshine, everybody have a wonderful day. Peg

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

HI everyone! A quick run thru the coleus garden. I am so tired, my poor Mom has been so sick this week and I spent most of Sunday night in ER with her. A very long and I mean long story, but she has been going through Adrenal Crisis or Addison's Crisis due to the fact that she has not been taking her prednisone. She hates to take it because of problems that it causes her but they are so minor compared to the fact that she could have died this week. We went to her family doc today and she is feeling somewhat better and should take about a week to feel good enough to go back home.

Kell, that looks like Sun Splash and it's a beauty!

Peg, I am so sick of the rain! And every time I say that to someone or think it, I think of Pheadra with all the rain that they have had in Georgia. Sheesh!!! The sun today was almost blinding and I didn't even get a chance to get outside. I am so far behind... I've not even planted one single thing yet and it looks like it will be another week before I get the chance.

It is almost 10 here and I am going to bed as soon as I can get my Mom to bed. I hate being so tired that I can't even stand myself! LOL I do hope all is well with all of you!

Dale, the middle coleus in this pic http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6497979 is Big Chief. Here it is in full sun.... very pretty!

Thumbnail by Brinda

Happy Mother's Day to all who mother kids, plants, furfaces or anything and especially the coleus Moms. May your day be full of joy, hugs, and beautiful plants.

Thumbnail by merpeg
(Zone 9b)

I forgot to ask after your Mom this AM Miss Brinderful. I hope she is doing much better esp on this grand Mother's Day!

Thank you Peg. My day would be better if you would send me that coleus. What is it? I am in love.

We are going to Carmel, a beachside town in a little bit for brunch. Then we will walk thru town and enjoy its quaintness. I love it there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/from_linda_yvonne/sets/72157600130746798/

The other day I was at a greenhouse and they had coleus starting! Such a pretty sight

Thumbnail by Kell
(Zone 9b)

Last year I had Royal Glissade and it was not pink. Maybe I had it in too much shade?

Could these be the same coleus?

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell, I bought it marked as "Henna" just because everybody else was talking so much about that one. But it does not look like dp's or anyone else's I've seen, so now I'm wondering. It just get prettier and prettier the longer it has been outside, but seems to be slow growing. Course, the rain we've had for three weeks is not helping. I've seen this one around here everywhere. I'll be glad to pick one up for you, if you'd like, or do a cutting when it gets bigger. :) Peg

Edited to correct dp instead of JP. I still don't have everyone's names straight. I promise to keep trying.

This message was edited May 11, 2009 1:02 PM

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

So Kell did you take a big purse with you and slip one of each in it???? LOL Seems like they have plenty of extras. Why is the site of so many coleus in a row is such a pretty site to behold. I feel the "give me, give me, give me" coming out in me.

Happy Mother's Day dear ladies!!!! Have a peaceful day!

Patty

Kell, can we expect pictures to today's brunch?????

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Kell Carmal is so pretty. Wish I could see it.
Peg that is a beautiful Coleus.
Happy Mothersday everyone

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Kell, I went to Mammoth Cave Transplants, they are a regional supply co. here in south central KY. They had hundreds of cells of baby coleus and thousands in every size to sell. I came home with Black Dragon, Pineapple and Wizards. Plus a wagon load of other plants :) I am new to these but my Dad has always grown a few every year.
Teresa in KY

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice Kell... it kills me going into a nursery and it's the same old wizard mix every where... depressing.. I went to this one place by my house... other than the wizards they had some kongs... $8.00 each.. I just chuckled and walked away.... muttering "you gotta be nuts"

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We have the same problem here. I will defend your retail nursery tho - they don't always grow the plants they sell - the wholesaler growers are the problem.

One of the wholesalers I buy from keeps asking me for free cuttings of the plants that I grow. I keep telling them about the plug growers, like Knox, who I use. They balk at the price of the plugs, they are about 50 cents each. when you are selling a 4 inch for 70 cents they would be taking a loss on each plant.

Here in Florida, where coleus grow to perfection, not many folks grow them, there isn't much demand. And people here are cheap. They have gotten used to the big box stores selling 4 inch for 89 to 99 cents each.

I don't grow 4 inch - I would lose money if I did. The smallest I grow is 6 inch and they wholesale at $1.50 and many retailers I have talked too want them for a $1, a money loser at that price.

I was at the greenhouse yesterday tossing 1 gallon plants that aren't selling. Cracklin Rosie, Envy. many others got tossed. If no one buys them there is no point in having them take up space.

I am going to have to cut back my stock plants to the top 20 instead of 100. I will have to focus on plants that will sell. Last year I grew 50 Tiny Toes - I sold 2. This year I have 4 six inch pots of Tiny Toes.

While the folks who chat here love coleus most gardeners couldn't care less...what a shame. I will stop ranting now.

Marmount & Trailing Rose>

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't think I have trailing rose... what's wrong with me???

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

What are some of the trailing coleus? Anyone have pics? They sound lovely!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I believe the ones in here are strawberry drop, trailing salamander, dark heart and trailing plum brocade

http://www.rosydawngardens.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=trailing

edit for name edits

This message was edited May 11, 2009 8:00 AM

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

close up of strawberry drop in the front... I think chocolate drop in the back bottom... and what I thought was dark heart on the top rear... but hhhmmm maybe not... the dark heart on RD has a green edge

not sure about that one .... sorry

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can you tell the strawberry drop is one of my favorites???

Thumbnail by onewish1

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.