Today in the garden, I...

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ugh, I feel for you. I had to do that from Eugene to Willows once. And it was a Sunday (Fathers Day too) so all the repair shops were closed.

Wow, that's an enormous play house/jungle gym. I wish my garden shed was even half that big.

Sure is nice to see everyone and hear about what you are doing too. Nice to hear about the spinach!

Today I deadheaded Coreopsis. I noticed powdery mildew has started on the plants. They got attacked last year too. It doesn't seem to bother anything else in the garden even the roses right next to them. I don't even know what powdery mildew is lol. I'd better do some research because the Coreopsis (2 kinds & both have it) put out thousands of flowers over the summer and I really want to keep them.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm fighting the mildew on my mint plants. They came with it. I've got it nearly knocked out but I've been spraying it every week with watered down milk to keep it from sticking. It doesn't kill it, just keeps it from settling in new places I'm told. I also read it has a 10 day (or was it 20 day) cycle. Oh well, in any case, I figure if I just keep doing it for a few more weeks it should be gone. I've also been pulling off heavily infected leaves and any that have dropped on the ground and tossing them in the trash to control the spread. There are just a few spots left on a few leaves, so almost there. Good luck!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, one more thing. It does look pretty big, but it's doubling as the frame for the hammock I wanted for myself... thus the long bridge to the slide platform. We also wanted a place for the kids to sleep outdoors with their friends. I loved doing that as a kid, so that was a prerequisite. Plus, since I teach at home, having something here during the day for them to do is a good thing. The closest neighborhood park is about a mile away, not very handy to send the kids off to, but all the neighbor family's here are great about sharing their backyard environments so we also have access to swings and trampolines. Now we just need someone that has a pool and we're set!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The kidling cabin looks awesome KTalia! I wish I lived nearby so I could come over to slide. Angele mmmm artichokes.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I spent my afternoon tearing out the ceiling in my basement. Leaky pipe. My plants need to go in the ground but I have to deal with this instead. :-(

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

bummer.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am home at last. Lawn is at least 14 inches high. Instead of mowing it, I planted two plants from the DBG sale and photographed all the irises that came into bloom when I was gone. Responsibility are not us!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Paj you got more important things done instead of caring for a lawn. Lawns are only good for adding green material to my compost pile.

I pulled weeds for seven hours today. My back is killing me but it is looking good out there.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Paj,
Your priorities are correct and admirable. Besides which it looks like your recommendation of an iris supplier is going to cost me money, I am making a list as we speak...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I find myself envious of weeds and lawns precisely for their compostable lovelinesses.

today I bought more potting soil, need still more for the Great May Plant Out coming up, but it was a start. I also sowed seeds of French Breakfast Radish and more bunching onions.

and ordered an ant trap for my hummer feeder, the which costes more to ship than to purchase but I am tired of trying to fake it and stick things together with chewing gum or something.

I cleaned out the feeder and made some new nectar and hung it in a different place. They have not found it yet, neither ants nor birds.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your support on my lawn neglect everyone! Mulch, glad you like Mid-America. it always costs me money, too! You won't regret buying from them. Their products are first class.
As for lawn clippings, I, too, got into trouble with the neighbors last year because I pursuaded the local lawn mowing company to leave me their clippings, in my vacant lont. They left two loads and then I began to realize that I might have trouble with the neighbors. They didn't smell bad, in fact, to me they smelled like freshly mown alfalfa. But my neighbor was upset though she didn't say so. She kept asking me what that was in my vacant lot. I told her lawn clippings, but she kept asking me if it was alfalfa. I kept saying no, but it smelled like alfalfa to me as well. But isn't that a good smell?
After a few days the smell died out and the clippings began to look kind of awful -- rotten. The neighbor said a word about their appearance. It seems that it was the fragrance of alfalfa that was bothering her.
Tonight she and I met in the vacant lot because her huge hound dog was baying at or to my pound dog. We chatted and decided to let Raja out to play with her huge Walking, Tree climing, hound. My Korean lilac is in full bloom, but she didn't say a word. Finally, I asked, "Do you smell my lilac?". She responded that she did and that she liked the fragrance but i am still wondering what she has against the fragrance of fresh mown alfalfa. To me it is heavenly.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I spent alot of hours digging 'lawn' out of my gardens this weekend after which I huffily advised the official 'lawner' that we are disappearing a whole lot more 'lawn' this summer cuz I don't do 'lawning'; I do 'gardening'. He has agreed that he has been negligent at 'lawning' and that more 'lawn' will disappear.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

How funny Dahlianut. I love the narration. :D

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmm, interesting concept about the lawner and the gardener. I distinctly fall into the gardener category myself as I could care less about our lawn. I never realized the lawn creeping (or galloping) into the gardens was the responsibility of the lawner! I may have to discuss this concept with him, ha!

Reno, NV

Kyla you are very wecome to come take all the weeds you'd like out of my yard ;) I'm also slowly disappearing the lawn. No point for it in my mind. Well, there will still be some but more of an accent than great expanses of the stuff.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wouldn't mind 'lawn' if it wasn't such a greedy water grabber :(

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lawn can be lovely if you have a lot of rain and sheep to mow it. Otherwise you just need a tiny patch in which to go barefoot without even the special shoes Clair and I have. I have been hesitant to remove any more lawn because it just covers bed rock. I already have plenty of bed rock to cover with plants. Will get to the lawn one of these days but that will take awhile.
Eventually a lawn of flat rocks and thyme seems nice.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My father in law sent me a link to a new hybrid turf grass, "Turfalo." Its a hybridization of Buffalo grass and is very low water use & drought resistant. The company that has done this has 2 varieties - one for shadier spots. For those who want to have grass it should be a good choice.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have a friend who is putting in a lawn of low water grass mix from High Country Gardens.. Haven't seen it yet, but could convert mine someday, if it looks good. I love the name Turfallo. Buffalo Grass has been very popular around here, but I know it isn't quite the perfect turf grass.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, the Buffalo grass goes away where you walk. This one is supposed to hold up to heavy use.

Reno, NV

I love Buffalo grass. Last couple years I've been letting it go to seed to spread it around. So soft and supper easy to pull if it goes astray.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds good. I have never grown it. Will keep that in mind for future landscaping issues although Turfallo sounds pretty interesting.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have no lawn. I'm thinking about a buffalo grass/fescue mixture for one tiny area in my back yard - just big enough to lay stretched out in.

Today in the garden I ...
... pulled lots of weeds. Again.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like the idea of enough lawn to stretch out in. That is definitely the right amount. Don't have a clue what the best low-moisture grass is, but I think it is important to find out.

Here is an iris I received in a trade. It was supposed to be Cherokee Heritage and apparently it isn't that. But I like it a lot anyhow. All my iris are starting to bloom yesterday and today. It is so exciting!

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I wonder if you can stretch out on Iris. :)

One beautiful summer day I was up in the mountains of Colorado above Crested Butte participating in a Mountain Bike race. I wasn't at my best racewise that day and was most of the way through the 35 mile course. I was crossing the side of a hill that was covered with a plant that had these gorgeous deep Purple flowers. The hill looked out over the valley where the little town of Crested Butte sat. I was very tempted to stop and lay back on the hillside and take in the view for a bit. I realized that if I stopped I would not want to start for a while again, I had no food, and the race promoters would have to go looking for me, so I didn't. One day I'll have to go back and do just that though.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The iris that grow wild in the mountains, you probably could stretch out on. Mine would be kind of lumpy if you tried to lie down on them All those rhizomes sticking out of the ground would be uncomfortable lumps.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like the mystery iris too paj!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You should post a picture of your Iris bed(s) Pajarito.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I will do that. Maybe soon because it looks like it will rain -- just before the iris show. I only have the ones in the vacant lot blooming now, so only the iris are gorgeous, not the beds. I have nicer ones in the front patio and in the front yard but they are shaded so they haven't started blooming yet. For now, here is another unknown that is a knockout.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm curious as to the setting the Iris are growing in and how they look as a whole. Doesn't need to be gorgeous.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Again I say, your iris (irises? irii?) are gorgeous, Paj! Today in my garden... (okay yesterday)... I completely drained our little pond, took the fish out, and did a total water renew because I couldn't get it clean even with partial water changes. Put the 5 little fishies back in, and today in my garden I got them some new water plants (just a couple because locally they are ridiculously expensive), and ordered 3 new water lilies and some marginal water plants from Texas Water Lilies (whom I've bought water plants from for the past couple of years through the DG co-op when we had the Big Pond). They are fantastic, their plants are always amazing, and the gentleman I spoke with was funny and gave me a great deal!!!

Also, today in the garden, I planted my dog topiary with wire vine, who was rescued by my friend Fish_Knees from the SW forum when I forgot him when we moved. Tomorrow I will plant my little turtle topiaries. Then I will be posting more pics!

Brenda

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Do your topiarii have names, Brenda?

poor doggie to be left behind...... lol

I love how Paj is sprinkling iris photos all over every thread, like an Iris flower fairy she is, just spreading that beauty wherever she goes.

Today in the garden I perceived that one of the Morning Glory seeds I direct sowed out back is tentatively poking its little green cots above the surface. Perceiving is the funnest part of gardening, IMO. I perceived how gorgeous the apricot colored erysimum is blooming; that the strange little wildflowers I got from Jeff's Cheap Seeds marked as White Cosmos are something entirely other than I even expected, I expected poppies as that's what the seed looks like, but no......; I perceived many sproutlets from various other things I direct sowed but no coreopsis as yet, but poppies oh yes, and other things also I perceived, and then I bought a couple of little veronicas and a 6 pack of wooly thyme for the bald spot.

;-)

oh it is pretty back there, and on the deck too and the weather is sweet, for now.

Looking forward to your pics, Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the complement about my iris pictures, Kyla. Just for fun, here is another called Jurassic Park.

Looked up erysimum in Plant Files. It looks lovely. I am going to have to try that one. I have seen it around and never knew the name.

I have been going to nurseries for the last two days to get donations of prizes for our iris show on Saturday. It has cost me a fortune because I find something I must have at each nursery! I have lots of veggie plants now to go with all the nice plants I bought at DBG. I will sure be glad when the show is over so I can work in my own garden! Did plant some new Rosemary -- the supposedly hardy types -- and a new thyme and a new Thai basil in my herbs grown in pots area. I just needed to do that for my mental health before going around for donations.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I also love the iris sprinklings! Sounds like all of your perceiving is very exciting, and I can't wait to see pictures of the actuality, Kylalu!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Same here. I can't wait until we can share your perceivings.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Where is Jurassic Park???

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

It is the rare invisible and also quite shy iris that always swoops its invisible skirts swish away whenever even Paj tries to photograph, let alone *post* its picture.

well, maybe not.........

Paja me darlin?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oops! I keep forgetting to attach the photos! Here is Jurassic Park:

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oooooooooooh, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.