Japanese Morning Glory Hybrid Crosses :)

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

This is a series from Fujishibori X Chocolate X Mount Fuji Blue (Exact process is a secret.)

#1 Dusky Purple spoked

Thumbnail by gardener2005

This is #1 and 2.

2 is a purple spoked.

And a speckly one...or speckled. :)

To be continued....

These aren`t really just a cross but they are selfed seeds from a cross of another crossed cross with another cross. Quite a pedigree.

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Very nice, Karen! I especially like the color of #1. I have a weakness for the dusky (dy) gene! It looks like that flower has some good size to it also.

The dark purple of the speckled flower really shows off the speckles. Did you get any dusky spoked speckled flowers?! - Arlan

Hi Arlan, Time will tell. I will record more here as more bloom. I do notice a difference in bloom sizes..all genes at work! True,that one has more to it so that it is frilly like it is gathered somewhat.

I got about a 1 in 10 ratio of spotted to solid hypocotyls. On with the show!

TTYL, Karen

Can you tell these two are brothers? Yes, they are.

This Speckly the speckled flower and Squirt. They are partners. :)

Now what I`m doing is seperating the large and small vine sinto categories for further experimenting and learning.

Karen

My next observation will be to see if Squirt has a widening margin like Speckly. since Squirt just came open I can tell but will see in about a week if the vine will have widening margins.

See the first picture of Speckly? It now has a wider margin as can be seen in the collage picture from this morning.

Arlan to answer your question: YES, I got a speckled Dusky purple! See this is purple with modifiers to get a dusky appearance. This one was stuck in the fence so it got messed up but here is the picture of Dusky Speckle with Speckly.

Here is a variation. Solid dusky purple. This is not a new cultivar. I don`t name everything that blooms but I do test them to see if they will come true first.

Dusky purple with a white margin. I might back cross this with the dusky speckled one.

Speckly`s brother is budding some more so I will have to wait on observing the widening margin. This is still another cool variation in this grow out. You can do this too. It is fun to hybridize morning glories.

The last picture of all shows the difference in the new look dusky speckled with cream/yellow background next the the regular old Fujishibori purple speckled. I`m pretty positive this isn`t any kind of new flower. I`m sure the Japanese people have seen this one but it sure is nice for me to have it in my garden.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

They are BEAUTIFUL! Awesome job. Way to go!

Thank you. :)

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

You continue to get interesting diversity! Do you have anything specific in mind with your thoughts of crossing the dusky white margined purple with it's sibling dusky speckled? Which would it improve?! - Arlan

Well, I`m thinking the bloom substance and the white margin would look smashing with the dusky speckles. It would take another year to see what would happen probably. :)

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

You might be able to do that this year if you tried. LOL. We want to see that one. You could sell us some seeds if it works. HA!

LOL!!! :)

It depends on what the F1 selections look like.

Dusky Speckle appears to be holding it`s first pod which is a cross with another speckled. The first 5 selfed pods went kapoop. I gave it a little haircut to hopefully encourage more growth and more blooms. Hopefully this vine will mature soon and settle in making some pods. It looks like the speckled ones are slow but with some patience and conscientious pollinating they will make seeds.

I was thinking all you need is some fujishibori and another nice chocolate or dusky large flower of your choice and you are good to go. Onalee has them and trades are found here easily. Here is a hot pink one. This growout will run the gamut of pinks,chocolates,dusky,purples and others.

Karen

I made a youtube video to journal this grow out just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lakemarygardens

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Karen,

Your YouTube video is very impressive.

ZM

Thanks,it was a fun project for a cold day.It actually Snowed! Snow is so rare here that we went outside at 10 PM. The kids went nuts playing in it. Now, today it is almost gone.

Karen

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Karen,

Did you notice a slug on one of the pots of seedlings in your video? Those things kind of scare me by the damage they can do. Out of curiosity, what software did you use to edit the video? And what video camera did you use?

ZM

Hi,yes I noticed the slug after I loaded the video...and Immediately took measures to remedy the problem so I wouldn`t lose my seedlings! I saved all the video and pictures for a winter day project.

Those slugs can Deeestroy(said with emphasis) a whole batch of seedlings overnight. All the seedlings made it just fine.

My camera is the economical, small enough to easily carry around the garden and durable for not breaking if it gets dropped on a rock Fujifilm Finepix S1000. The program for movie making was windows movie maker. I got the royalty free music from Wikkimedia Commons. All the reqirement I needed was to put the artists name in my movie credits.

Karen

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 1:27 PM

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Karen,

Thanks for the info. You are very ingenious to use such practical tools to produce such an informative video. That was impressive video editing. I'm glad the slug didn't get a chance to destroy any of your unique seedlings.

ZM

deleted post

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 3:37 PM

Thanks! The editing was a little frustrating at first because I was so out of practice and didn`t remember how to use the software. After a day of ruining the movie repeatedly and starting over from scratch, I started catching on a little bit. There are a few not so smooth transitions like I don`t know how to fade out the music and it comes on and shuts off abruptly so it doesn`t blend as well as I`d like. I`ll try and figure more as I go.

I`d like to add here that it isn`t exactly a "how to" video but is more like a journal where I share experience, mistakes,goofs like the chewed up peas I called beans in another video, times when I haven`t quite got something figured out but working on it, discoveries of what not to do in order to find what works and victories as well. :)

Karen

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 3:37 PM

Norfolk, VA

I'm glad y'all brought up this thread because i'm in the process of doing the same thing with my three way cross(early call blue x early call pink) x tie-dye pink. I can't wait to see the results from this cross.

MGMan, I hope you get some real beauties and since your parents are awsome the sky is the limit.

Karen

szarvas, Hungary

I could not figure out what are the parents of this hybrid !

Dark Blue Mt. Fuji - Fuji No Sora - Youjiro Blue - Masugata Blue X ?????????????

Thumbnail by dany12

Dany, that one is beautiful! Karen

Dany, Those are all good guesses that you made. I was going to say the leaves are 5 pointed like many youjiros but they are variegated and fuller like a large flower. I have seen leaves shaped like this on the popular hybrid Fuji No Monet and the variegation can appear "surprise" because it is a recessive. Cross pollination can fix you up with variegation appearing from solid color leaf stock as well.

Norfolk, VA

your youtube video is extremely addicting to me and very impressive!

Tony

Mesilla Park, NM

Wow, I had forgotten how pretty this flower was, just when you think that they can't get any better, "THEY do" get better and better. I only got a couple of crosses made in 2009, so I'm hoping they produce something.

Hi Antoinette, THEY will! You can count on it. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Karen,
I got a couple of mg packages out today to look at some of the seeds.. it is too early for me to start any, I've got too much to do but, I'm really taken with these muted colors you got going and with the speckles too, I'm so happy with some of the ones that I crossed and got two matching sets, kind of like coordinating colors.
A.

They recombine to speckled in small numbers so I had to collect and wait and now next year the story will continue. What will these flowers do next? :)

Pretoria, South Africa

Karen,

I just love your #1" Dusky Purple Spoked". The color, and the fullness of the flower. Really special.

Elsa

Mesilla Park, NM

Elsa, you should try crossing some of yours, you are so lucky, you can grow out while we are sitting here during the winter. She may still have seeds, you should check.
A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.