Pg #2] SEMPERVIVUMSCome all you Chickaholics, with photos

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Lilly, for asking me to Welcome our Sempervivum Contributors. I'm happy to do so and will add to our list of Participants as we grow.

Our Contributors in Alphabetical Order are:

bagel_k
blomma******************Lilly
ByndeweedBeth
cactuspatch
Calif-Sue
Clemen
emeraldsgarden********Dana
flowerehj*****************Froukje
FruitOfTheVine*********Susan
goldfinch4***************Chris
Gourd
helenchild****************Helen
jamlover******************Jean
Kell
kniphofia*******************Sue
krowton
meadowyck*************Janet
rheomode***************Jennifer
smashedcactus
tommyr2006
wandygirl****************Kathy
wormfood
zone10

You're encouraged to go by your first name or nickname, so we can get to know you better, as long as you're comfortable doing so. Just add your name to your next post or D-mail me. The same goes for anyone who'd like their 1st name removed.

We're all here to learn more about these adorable gems that take up so little space, require scant attention, and hold a special place in our garden.

No matter where in the World you live, all CHICKAHOLICS -- or those soon to be bitten by the bug -- are welcome to post your questions, comments and photos.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 10:24 PM

(Zone 8a)

Here's a sale plant I saw yesterday at Belsay Hall.

Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
(Zone 8a)

Sorry it was labeled as S arachnoideum Rubin. I love the furry ones :)

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Lilly, love the S. calc. 'Sir Wm. Lawrence' that you posted toward the end of the last thread. What a beautiful circle of chicks around the hen!

Sue, your S. arachnoideum 'Rubin' is really pretty. I like the fuzzy ones too!

This message was edited May 20, 2009 6:23 AM

Delhi, IA

blooma,

Quoting:
Jovibarba heuffelii--------- Unlike other species, they do not die after blooming.

I didn't realize this. One consolation for having to cut them apart. Great!! So if you don't cut them apart how big will a clump become, or how many years will it live?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm reposting here as I didn't read everything

This one just jumped off the table at me. Almost perfect in all angles.... One of my first. There wasn't a tag on it which never stops me from purchasing something new....LOL

I'll do some investigation with another garden club member as she has a ton of them and get back with the name.

Janet

jovibarbas---Often called "rollers" due to the fact that chicks sit precariously on top of the other until it is time to roll off and take root. Small but colorful.

Rolling off of my goodness I had no idea that there were plants that did this...

The one pictured is my first of this type plant so I'm here to be like a sponge until I'll able to wring out to share with others....LOL

Great list here thanks for starting this topic. So many colors wow.

Maybe this is an Emerald Giant??? now this is a newbie just looking at some pictures trying to find the name?

so what do everyone think???? maybe????

This message was edited May 20, 2009 8:19 AM

This message was edited May 20, 2009 8:57 AM

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Delhi, IA

Nice little start meadowyck.

kniphofia, that's a sharp one you posted. Looks fuzzy!!

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Greensburg, PA

'yck, It's virtually impossible to accurately ID a semp from pictures. I grow Emerald Giant and mine never watermark. The pic you posted shows watermarking, so I would assume it is not Emerald Giant, BUT I would not say that is certain.

Brookfield, CT

I have been called many things...why not add "chickaholic" to the list? Here are some pictures of semps I grow in troughs and in a rock garden. All came from a packet I obtained from Thompson & Morgan. No specific names, just "assorted sempervivums."

Thumbnail by wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

more semps in rock garden

Thumbnail by wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

Baby semps. They are very easy from seed.

Thumbnail by wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

One last picture. I bought this last December. No label. I have never seen a semp in bloom (picture was taken in late Feb.). Can someone confirm this is a semp and not a jovibarba? It has not died, but has gone downhill lately because I assumed it was a semp and was going to die anyway, so I haven't watered it much lately. Should I try to revive it?

Kathy

Thumbnail by wandygirl
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Greensburg, PA

I took a picture today to illustrate the "roller" feature of Jovibarbra's. This pic is a young hen (not full size at this point) of Jovibarbra hirta 'Astrid' one of my favorite Jovi's. The pic is slightly out of focus, since I pushed the closeup feature of my camera to get really close so you could see the round/spherical young chicks.

Its interesting to note that the rollers will take root in whatever position they are in, and will tend to right themselves over time so that the new plants have the correct orientation with regard to the soil.

There are at least 5 species of Jovi's in cultivation and commercially available in numerous forms, allionii, arenaria, hirta, heuffelii, and sobolifera are the species I have found available so far. I have only worked with hirta, but have about 5 different kinds..

Thumbnail by krowten
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

oh my overload, there is a lot to these little ones aren't there.... well I love researching and learning about new plants.... so my seat belt is fasten so I ready for the ride.

great pics folks.

Janet

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Greensburg, PA

Blomma, I've been thinking about buying that one too. That looks like it has claws!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Lilly, that is really an unusual one - nice!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

reminds me of cat toes, with those little nails......LOL

Janet

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmm... That one is different. Now will S. Calcareum 'Monstrosum' produce young out to the sides? I am still getting over the claws!!!

Dana

Delhi, IA

OK, the hybrids, arachnoideums, calcareums, tectorum, jovibarbas_____and others as you have them listed above___are these all species?? Is there any group noted to be very small as a group (in size, not number in the group) or any group which seems to have all larger plants? Someone hinted that calcareums were larger??? Some folks are full of questions are they!!!

I found another I have with a name on it.
I moved two heads of this to another bed last spring, thus resulting in what looks like a double center. This one has species in the name(on photo) It's rather small____Mom about 2 1/2" across and fine with long arms to hold the 'kids'.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Brookfield, CT

Thank you, blomma and krowten for your comments and photos. The semp in flower that I posted above did indeed have the cobwebbing. I watered it yesterday to see if Icould revive it. Right now it is not putting out any chicks, just flowering stems.
On a separate topic, has anyone tried to grow jovis from seed? I have a packet that I have been holding on to because of conflicting instructions. The packet just says sow in warm conditions, but I have also heard that seeds should be sown at the beginning of the plant's active growing season. I thought they were winter growers, so that means waiting until fall/winter. What to do?

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 16, 2015 6:51 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Greensburg, PA

Here's a followup pic of the huge Commander Hay in the display container. I see I made a mistake by putting the Aare chicks, as Commander Hay is growing at a much faster rate. Now the Commander has put out a lot of chicks and appears to be taking over. Keep in mind that this container is about 12" across.

Commander + chicks is now about 10" across.

Enjoy.

Thumbnail by krowten
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, that's huge - Commander is an appropriate name! Very pretty too.

krowten, Warmer temps are just now starting to become steady for both of us. There's no telling how much more your Commander Hay will grow and change. Keep us posted.

I first showed Black on 26-April http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967694/
Only a month ago it was rather large in its cramped pot at 7" diameter before I planted it. This photo taken Monday shows a much tighter center rosette and has undergone a definite color change from drab green to a rich rosy color, And it's now 8-1/2" diameter.

This message was edited May 27, 2009 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Greensburg, PA

Goldfinch, Thnk you.

Fruit, Commander Hay is not growing much. I think it is putting its current energy into the chicks, but the chicks are growing fast. We had temps down in the high 30's just a few days ago, then a hot spell, then back to the forties.

Below is a side by side comparison picture of two semps I posted in a different thread that did not catch on. It is comparing "Hookeri" on the left to an unknown ID one on the right. Hookeri is about 3/4" and surround by chicks at this point. The other is slightly less than 1/2" and is showing new growth in its green center. Tiny semps are also very nice, but are more likely to have problems with drying out. I'm very pleased to see these growing, as I almost lost them last year.

Thumbnail by krowten

Jade Rose, a new one I acquired in May. I like the rosy color and now measures 4-1/2" across counting the chicks. My original post was here on 03-May-09: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967694/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey!

When there are a bunch of chicks on stems, when do they send roots out of their own? can you plant them with part of the stem and get them to grow?

Greensburg, PA

Flowerehj, Generally, it does not matter a whole lot when you take the chick to start out on its own. I've had really tiny ones survive given good conditions (they need more moisture than the adults). If the chick is younger or smaller, it may take longer to really get going. Generally, I'll take the chicks when I need to do a trade, give the mother more room, make the display look better, start another container, etc. I don't see a lot of roots on the chicks while still connected to the mother plant. My opinion, but cutting the umbilical seems to trigger rooting.

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the info Krowten, that helped a lot! Do people often trade their chicks? And where do they post that? Here? Or on the trading forum? I haven't seen any so far... or is that because of the season? Sorry.... I don't have a picture... I know that's what this forum is for. I would love to poke some fun and put in a ridiculous picture of me or some garden pic... but don't have those either, LOL
Froukje

Greensburg, PA

Flowerehj,

I would start with a post on the "Plants Trading " forum. I know that I and a few other collectors will trade from time to time. It's an easy way to expand your collection. Pictures help. Chicks are often a good way to trade, but then again, some people need to thin their collections from time to time and have full growns to share as well. Its important to keep track of names if they are available.

Greensburg, PA

Today, I received a shipment of Hen&Chicks from Edelweiss Perennials. I took a lot of pictures of the new plants and want to share. After giving it some thought, I think this thread is the best place for this. Anybody have objections to seeing the wonderful new plants I received and how they were packed? A month ago I had an order come in from another company that was disappointing. However, these plants were great, including one Sempervivum that I think is "show" quality.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by blomma
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Krowten and Lilly- thanks again. I went back to the other forum and read the info on chicks (propagation). I currently have 1 small chick, hoping it will root! Very exciting! My first one! Lilly-that picture is truly amazing! Wow! Gorgeous!

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.