New Rants: Plant Your Rantables Right Here, Y'all!

Greensboro, AL

I found from the recovery procedures that a critical thing is to MOVE and you don't want to. It might hurt. What if I open something up. What if I fall and no one knows where I am? And one trip down the hall of the recovery area is really exhausting. If you don't move you could get pneumonia. And there could be more blockage.

And now several months later I found I am getting in front of the computer instead of going for a morning walk. You need to move to make everything work. You don't need to lift weights or run any marathons just walk 30 minutes a day as a goal. It doesn't seem like much - but most Americans are not doing it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have a very hard time making myself take a walk. But if I take Raja for a walk, I end up having a run -- chasing her over hill and over dale -- if she escapes. My goal -- take Raja for a short walk each morning and each evening.
I do spend a lot of time walking around in circles in the house and yard. Must wear my pedometer and see how many steps I am clocking these days.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think you'll be amazed paj at how much distance you travel when gardening.

Santa Fe, NM

This is a rant on a different subject but here is something that has been bothering me. This morning as I was pulling out of our driveway to go to class, I saw an older couple walking a dog on a leash through my neighbor's unfenced corner yard. The dog was doing it's business on her gravel driveway. My neighbor was at work. I did not have time to see if the people picked up after the dog, which I hope they did, but it made me wonder: if an area is unfenced, does that make it a public space? I get kind of tired of everything having to be fenced or walled off and enjoy seeing well kept up open areas. Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Indeed, I have. When I bought this house and the lot out back, I noticed signs on the trees, presumably from the previous owners, that if you walk your dog here, you should clean up after it. I didn't take the signs down or replace them when they dissolved, but I did notice the neighbors next door to the vacant lot taking their dog out there every morning. I have never seen them clean up after him. That really didn't upset me, though. I thought, just more fertilizer. Nor were the next door neighbors the only ones.
The school children catch the bus on the edge of the vacant lot and they have hauled down pine trees to the giant rock left near the bus stop, on my property, to make forts. I haven't said boo,even when they inscribed who knows what on the rock which is very soft tufa ( pumice);
I don't mind any of this, but I really object when I am told, as I have been, that my weeds are too high, or my compost is unattractive, or even worse, my truck is unattractive -- this was my previous truck which I still think highly of, but it was old. I got rid of it because I couldn't get the local mechanics to maintain it. And it was a gas guzzler par excellance.
I also got anonymous complaints when I ordered a truckload of chicken manure ( to be polite.) Yes it stunk for a few days, but I had no idea how bad it would smell. But it was gone in 4 or 5 days. Complaints were delivered by anonymous flyer in my mailbox. Later I was verbally questioned about the smell from the grass clippings that I talked a local grass mowing company out of. They never stunk like the chicken manure. They just smelled like fresh mown grass, strongly, but nice in my opinion. The neighbors kept asking me if it was alfalfa, and I assured them it was lawn grass clippings which it was because I got a lawn mowing company to drop them off.
The bottom line is that people treat any open space as public property. The whole neighborhood was delighted that my vacant lot wasn't sold to the numerous developers who wanted it. But they sort of expect me to maintain it like a public park which I definitely don't plan to do.
The bottom line is that people often have a strong sense of entitlement over any land that is not developed without regard to whether it is private property or not.
I forgive them, but I have had some major rants on the subject in the past.

I can deal with the dog turds but not the complaints.

Greensboro, AL

My major problem with my neighbors is that they seem to think I enjoy listening to their rock music 24/7. I live next door to a project which has 50 "garden apartments". My house is a 100 year old historic house - one of 3 on this street. The owner of my house decided to subdivide her lot which was some 50 acres back in the 1960s-70s. It had been a dairy operation since the 1890s. Cows peacefully grazing at one end of the town.

Part of the lot was sold to John Deere, but the part in between was sold to "The Greensboro Housing Authority" which is a federally funded project. Supposedly no children live there - but there are quite a few "grandchildren" neices and nephews who wind up living there. I bought this house in 1987. No problems - except charges that I was harboring a vicious dog - on one occasion. I did feed 2 runaways who were hardly vicious - they turned out to be escapees from a yard down the road just outside the city limits. After several weeks they were returned to their grateful owner - never a vicious word to anyone.

About 2 weeks before Christmas last year, someone moved into the apartments who runs their stereo all night long. Since I live up the hill, the sound is magnified by the time it gets here. And my old house is not insulated as well as it should be. The continuous beat of someone elses drums has given me head aches - which I have never had in my life. I have started grinding my teeth which required me to get a very expensive stint made by my dentist. I mean the sounds are not just annoying - they are causing my physical deterioration. My sleep is disturbed so I am not getting the rest I need. I would like to be outside, but there is just too much noise. Too much noise inside my house also unless Im right in front of the tv to drown out the racket. But, their drum beats even pervade over my tv, it never masks out their sound.

Bum, bum, bum, de bum, bum, bum ---- all day and all night.

Oh yes I have complained. But it seems no one knows where the sound is coming from out of the 50 units in the complex. One of the local "finest" even called the Ambulence driver from the hospital to take my blood pressure - because he thought I was hearing my own heart beat.

So I would like to add this rant to the subject of people who think they own private space - for their dogs to poop on, for their stereos to rap in, to throw their whisky and beer bottles in and generally degrade the quality of neighborhood life.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Have you called the police? Disturbing neighbors with loud music is illegal most places. I am sure everyone knows where it is coming from. I would be irate if I had to listen to that.

Greensboro, AL

Yes I have called the police repeatedly and reported the problem to the Housing Authority.

The police tried to tell me that what I was hearing was my own blood pressure and made me take a blood pressure test. [I didn't have high blood pressure - in fact I have LOW blood pressure - as a result of being on BP medication aren't we all?]

I just found this article on managing blood pressure.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/lower-your-blood-pressure-naturally/60d97e643f803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/health/healthy.living.centers/heart.conditions/0/0/1

Like take a class in Tai Chi.

My current plan is to get some earphones and try to find some music that will mask the irritating noise from the neighbors. The earphones that I have though don't stop it - the bum debum bum comes right on through.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am afraid that I, too, have had problems with small town police doing their jobs. At my farm we got the license plate number of someone poaching on my farm and turned it in to the local police. They couldn't find it in their database. Problem is everybody knows everybody and they don't want to offend anybody, but telling you that you were hearing your own heartbeat was outrageous and insulting. The headphones with your own music are a good idea, but your best hope is that this person will move away -- preferably to some place where the police do their jobs!

Greensboro, AL

I wish they would move away. Ive thought about moving myself - but its not really practical at my age with the quantity of stuff Ive accumulated. Besides - I own my house - they are on a rent subsidy from the government.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gloria, it seems to me that they should have to do something about it. You have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of your home. It can't be that difficult for the police to figure out where it's coming from if it's going on all the time. That would really aggrivate me... especially that the police would think I was hearing my own heartbeat!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

With any luck at all they are young -- hence the loud music -- and let us hope they are restless and will move on. I am surprised other people in the Gov't housing unit haven't complained. Maybe they have. Maybe you could get to know some of them and see how they feel about the music. Maybe if a number of you visited the local authorities things would improve. That's work, but maybe worth it.

Santa Fe, NM

Well, that wouldn't be Santa Fe,where police do their jobs, I'll tell ya! Though I would LOVE to have you as a neighbor, Gloria! I think there is a difference between a vacant lot and someone's little herb garden and gravel driveway! My other neighbor, the neighbor from hell, has a front yard full of cars and weeds but people are afraid to let their dogs go there. What we need are more vacant lots! Growing up, we had alleys in back of the houses. They were good places for stray animals, children and probably vagrants, although nobody was concerned about that at the time. The neighbor from Hell is running a permanent garage sale next door but no one will go in her yard because of the snarling, chained(?) dogs. She's not too bright. The police were there yesterday but she may have called them herself because she was fighting with her boyfriend, who, according to her, had promised to be her Slave. But, apparently, wasn't fulfilling her expectations. I could hear all this because I was foolish enough to have a window open. I closed it. Sometimes these things are entertaining but it gets old pretty fast.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Police in small southern towns are not known for their professionalism. Ever see "In the Heat of the Night?".

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I had a friend in Santa Fe whose father observed a truck across the street loading stuff from the house there. He knew the owners were on vacation so he called the Santa Fe Police Dept. They said they would take care of it, but after quite a while, the police still had not arrived so the man took his own truck and backed it across the driveway to prevent the crooks from leaving with his neighbor's stuff. The crooks, however, simply drove their own car across the front yard and drove away. The police arrived the next day. Even so, though, I think the Santa Fe police are better than the ones in the rural south.

Santa Fe, NM

When was that movie made? There are all manner of crooked police stories but I think most are just trying to do their jobs with a minimum of effort; not to mention low pay and not much community support. Here, anyway.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't remember for sure, but I think it was made in the 60's. It has Sidney Poitier as a detective from the big city and Rod Steiger as the "good ole' boy" cop. It is an outstanding movie. If you haven't seen it, do. It is the movie from which the line "You in a heap of trouble, boy" comes from. It is a classic.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Ennis is a town of about 850 people without even a stoplight and we have an outstandingly professional town policeman. He is from a large city in Florida and knows how to handle about anything with great effectiveness.

He was amused at being sent to me to talk about grass clippings...

Greensboro, AL

http://randall120.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/forgotten-books-in-the-heat-of-the-night-john-ball/

According to this, the setting for the novel was Sparta, Mississippi which is a few miles west of here.

We did have a Rod Steiger kind of police chief, but he is in prison now.

The problem here may not be entirely the police's fault. The acoustics are such that I am up hill from the project, there is a lot of noise here because we are on a State Highway. The highway noise comes and goes, though. The bum bum bum de bum is always there.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

stoopid afternoon rain storms. they make me stop working in the yard and turn my grading project into mud.
grrrrr.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You will never hear me ranting about rain storms in New Mexico. I will be more like dancing joyfully in them. What I am doing today is watering everything.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

We had hail.
Fortunately, it was little hail and my newly planted 'hedge' of little allegheny viburnums survived.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

DJ, I sympathize witcha! ;-)

Gloria, I had to laugh about the police wanting your complaint to be your own hearbeat, goodness, that would *really* make my blood pressure spike, LOL!

Loud music (which one does not choose to listen to) is an assault, period, but far too many seem to take it for granted that it is okay for people to violate each other's space in this way. I also have a neighbor who delights in playing the radio loud. I feel extremely fortunate that this neighbor also seems to have a very brief attention span so it does not go on for hours upon hours, that would be very hard to take.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have alot of dogs in the neighbourhood and I was concerned when I put a small bed fronting the sidewalk but our neighbours are very respectful. The dog owners police themselves. A couple of weeks ago I saw a new guy getting a lecture from an old hand.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

That must have been quite reassuring, Dahlia.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin. I want to redo the whole frontage and puppy pee does NOT fit into the plan.

Santa Fe, NM

Well, last night the barking dog woke us out of a deep sleep and barked for about 15 minutes before it's owner shut it up. I never did get back to sleep very well so today I'm tired. I debated about what to do and ended up filing a complaint with the Animal Control this afternoon. They leave notes and ultimately will fine the person. It doesn't do much but is the only legal recourse I have right now. It sets up a legal process in case I end up hiring an attorney. I can also set up fans and a vaporizer for "white noise" and, if need be, take a sleeping pill tonight. I also talked to the neighbor on the other side of the bad one's house and she will confirm my complaints if need be. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to get some peace and I will not be a victim.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sorry you missed a night of sleep roybird. I'll tolerate a barking dog for a few days if it is a new addition to the household, but the owner should deal with it as soon as it starts. I had to and ended up having to buy one of those barking collars. I don't really like them, but it worked and the problem went away.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You go girl roybird. I have zero tolerance for bad neighbours. I wonder if the poor dog is cared for???? The puppy next door is now trained so doesn't bark now unless another dog is over visiting and he gets too excited. He was pretty noisy in the early spring but he learned fast.

Greensboro, AL

go for it, roybird. It really helps to have some support so that people aren't saying YOU are the crazy one.

And zero- ing in precisely on where the problem is coming from so that you know what the solution is. Stop the people who are responsible.
In my case there are 50 units down there. I have been walking behind their apartments - sometimes it seems to be coming from one - sometimes another. The manager has told the police that she doesn't believe me because there is no one there in the daytime - everybody goes to work.

Apparently, not. But that means I am the one who has to prove it.

Meanwhile - the stage is set for a summer long head ache unless I can find exactly who is doing this.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops cross posted with Dave-who-Dave. I think it's only fair to allow the owner some training time especially with a pup. We are patient as long as there is continual improvement.

Greensboro, AL

If my dogs are barking there is an intruder on the property. They are my security alarms!

[Well sometimes they bark at skunks and possums!]

Santa Fe, NM

I'm sorry, Gloria. That's a mess. Yeah, this neighbor has two dogs, in fact. One barks and the other howls. I would feel more tolerant if this situation hadn't happened before. For the last 2 years the house had been rented to a male college student who played drums and piano! But, he was reasonable about his practice times. Dahlia, I do wonder how the animals are being treated. That was also an issue in the past. I have yet another neighbor who is very upset at the possibility that the dogs are being abused. Because they are behind a tall fence it isn't easily possible to observe, we just hear it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Exactamundo gloria. That's how it should be. Barking = 'Alert!' not Barking = "I'm bored so I'm barking"

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I always worry here in the winter in case the dog has no shelter.

Santa Fe, NM

These dogs may very well think they are sounding a warning. There might be a cat or someone walking down the street! They might be excellent dogs for someone living in the country. My problem is with the owner. Plenty of other people in the neighborhood have dogs. In fact, the tenant who moved out had a dog. This isn't normal occasional barking.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

No shelter in a Calgary winter? That's criminal, or should be.

The house on the far side of our favorite neighbors has two dogs that are penned up outside with no shade and often no water. The nice tneighbors told them to take better care of the dogs but that only lasted a couple of months.

Our animal control guy is really nice and a high school classmate of DH's but he is overworked that he spends most of his time dealing with abandoned dogs and abuse cases and doesn't get to the neglect complaints as quickly as he would like to.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think you are so right roybird. A dog has to be trained to be citified. They shouldn't bark unless someone enters their property. None of the dogs in the yards on my lane bark when anyone walks by even though they can't see who it is.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's a big bad Katlian. They get a big fine for first offense they are monitored. If they're caught again, the animal is taken away. There are strict shelter requirements too. It has to be wind proof, there has to be a floor of some kind and the entrance has to face downwind or be covered. The SPCA guys are overworked here too though sigh.

Santa Fe, NM

They have to be trained. Some dogs are not so inclined as others to be guard dogs. Actually, not far from my S.I.L.'s house in town there is a big house with iron and stone walls and there are two Dobermans keeping an eye on things. But they don't bark, just watch through the gate. And they are not wagging their tails, either! Scary lookin' dogs indeed. If I were a bad guy I wouldn't want to chance it with those dogs. Plus, they look smart.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.