New Rants: Plant Your Rantables Right Here, Y'all!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It isn't that difficult to do the minimum to take care of a dog.

Santa Fe, NM

Dog owners should be trained, too! I meant the dogs, not the animal control folks, altho, come to think of it, them, too!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Exactly Dave-who-is-Dave which is why it sickens me when I hear about or see an animal that is neglected.

Santa Fe, NM

Dave, I think some of it depends on the dog. I like low maintainence ones.

Greensboro, AL

My little female greyhound from the shelter in the next town over was high strung when I first got her. She still sticks to me like glue - but she finally is learning she is my dog and nothing is going to change that.
One SHHHH though and she quits barking.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You are right about training effectivness depending on the dog roybird. I was thinking more along the lines of the owner making the effort. Buy a dog house. Spend regular time with the dog. Feed and water it daily. Teach it not to bark. Training involves more positive reinforcement than negative. It takes a committment and some time. If you love your dog it isn't a burden.

Santa Fe, NM

True. It's kind of like with young children. They have to be socialized to some degree in order to go out in public. Otherwise they miss out on fun stuff. You still love them but until they can behave well enough their range of activity is quite limited!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

One reason dogs bark is loneliness. I have had dogs that the neighbors complained about, but they had shelter and food and water, but they were lonely. We always keep them indoors at night, but until we got home our collie and one keeshond barked, apparently incessantly while we were at work. One of the neighbors would always call and leave a message on our answering machine that our dog was barking. I did get one of those bark devices but it didn't work well on the collie or the keeshond because of their heavy fur. I never did come up with a good solution, but the neighbor's husband retired and they moved to where their daughter lives. I asked the current neighbor if my dog's barking bothered them and she said, "What barking"? She said she couldn't hear anything from inside her house.
So I have to plead guilty to being a bad neighbor dogwise. But since the one lady moved away, I have had no more complaints. Besides almost all the neighbors have dogs that bark and no one would have the nerve to complain.
I felt badly about the lady who found my dogs so annoying but it isn't an easy problem to solve. Keeping them in at night guarantees a good night sleep for all -- but if we didn't get home by 10:00 pm, there was always an angry call on our answering machine.
I did call Animal Control and they said that if the lady called them they wouldn't do much, but suggested the bark collar or creating an area away from the woman's house to confine the dog in during the day. Luckily, about that time she moved.

Santa Fe, NM

Yes, I also thought about moving.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Frankly, she didn't move because of the dog. She moved because her husband retired and she wanted to be closer to her daughter. But I know my dogs did not make her stay here happier -- but at least they didn't bark when we were home which was most evenings. Don't know about the day time. She never called us during the day.

Greensboro, AL

Strange that there was only one person that complained.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The others couldn't even hear them. I think that lady was pretty sensitive. The barking dogs were small and were more the yappy type. Annoying but not like a loud one. Actually, I live in a neighborhood where many neighbors feel rather "entitled". I have had neighbors complain about the weeds in my vacant lot and about the compost piles and about having my old jeep truck parked out on the street. It didn't fit in well with their BMW's I guess. I finally got tired of paying repair bills on the old truck and bought a, to me, spiffy looking second hand Toyota truck which they haven't complained about.

One neighbor actually asked me to move my old jeep truck from street parking on the side of their house nearest my house. I moved it, but after that when the lady of the house -- who has no gardening space on her lot asked if we could garden together on my vacant lot, I didn't say not, but I just never got back to her. Her father is in a permanent snit with her because she didn't buy enough land to have a garden, so she tried to buy my vacant lot. I told her she could take a number and wait in line behind my other neighbors who have also asked to buy it. Hopefully, I will never need to sell it because I have fun with it. It is my sandbox. I compost there, have fruit trees there and keep my overflow irises there. I admit it isn't a show place, but it wasn't when we bought it, either. In fact, I thinned the trees so it wouldn't be a fire hazard. Some of the neighbors appreciated that.
I do try to be a good neighbor, but I am not the kind of person who hires help to do the yard and drives a BMW. I can't afford it and wouldn't if I could! Some of my neighbors clearly think I am tacky, though.

Greensboro, AL

I doubt anyone as classy as you are online could be "tacky", Paj.

But then "tacky" is probably in the eye of the beholder.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Aw, thanks, gloria, but I am not the fancy type. Most of my neighbors are very nice. One had a son who learned to play the bagpipe in the front yard and whose dogs bar mournfully in the back. Two other neighbors have yappy dogs. Another neighbor has a couple of kids who had their loud and obnoxious period and we all had to suffer through their loud music and hundreds of friends and their air rifle period. So most are tolerant. The ones who aren't have no children or dogs and are crankier. Most of them eventually move because there are lots of children and dogs in the neighborhood and children do go through their noisy periods, too.

Greensboro, AL

My neighbor says she is afraid of my dog - hers is a little rat terrier who sits on her couch and watches tv all day. My Roscoe likes to be the masculine dog of the neighborhood - he is scruffy lookin' and leads the neighborhood canines in howling at the ambulance. A male pit bull has moved in across the street. I think if the owners would allow it the boys would get loose and be off on a toot running the fields.

A neighborhood without dogs would be a sad place to be.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

In my view Pajarito, if the neighbors don't have wheelless cars parked in their front yards or piles of garbage, then its their business. A discretely placed compost pile is not an issue. My neighbors down the street put in vegetable beds in part of their front yard this year. The rest is a jumble of annual/perrenial flowers. To my eye, their yard is not esthetically pleasing. But its their yard and there are no Chevys or washing machines stored on it.

Back to the bagpipes - our practice chanters arrived by mail last night. Zerbeebee and I had a noise making session to try them out. What was hilarious is that our cats went crazy over this. They came into the room and howled at us - "Meeeoooooooowwooooooooww" - both curious and irritated over the sound from the things. It is difficult to blow into a chanter when you are laughing so hard.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yep, animals have a tough time with bagpipes. In fact, so do plenty of humans. I have no cars on blocks in my yard and no used washing machines. My compost piles don't look too bad, but I don't think the neighbors understand why I have all those "trash piles" in my back lot. They aren't all that obvious because there are lots ( too many) ponderosa pines between them and the street. They are semi-hidden.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG Dave who is Dave I never thought about what the animals would do about the chanters. You and Zerbeebee are going to have a hoot with this!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It certainly will be interesting. With Zerbeebee's trombone the cats left and hid somewhere distant. With the chanters they collect in the room. One cat, Tiger, actually sat on the couch next to me howling all the while.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

um Dave who is Dave I think that's called 'singing' and they think it's very beautiful and melodic to listen to (picture me rolling my eyes). The crazy old cat sings to his girlfriends and I try really hard to act suitably impressed.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I am familiar with girlfriend singing. Perhaps this is similar, but I haven't figured out quite what they think of the chanters. The female wasn't singing, just interested. The males sang. Perhaps Zerbeebee and I will have a nice quartet.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Your fam is going to be an interesting addition to the pipeband methinks (snorkle).

Greensboro, AL

That would be great to have animal friends join in!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It will be fun. I draw the line at putting kilts on the cats, though.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I double dare ya. Zerbeebee must take pics ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I think the males thought the chanters were perhaps a female in heat? Hiding in there somewhere? Oh, come out come out to be courted, sang the chorus....... tee hee

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I want to see cats in kilts and gillies with little dirks in their socks! What a picture!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.