Is anyone into needle felting?

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi I saw some yorkies done in needle felting that I would like to try. Anyone here do needle felting?

Betty

Plano, TX

what is it?

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, My wife likes it although she is a newbie. We have an online craft shop and she likes to try ALL the crafts we sell ! Try this video link from Leisure Arts, Inc. It shows the technique and tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1d_MVULNs

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I am attempting to do the 3-D needle felting. I am wanting to do yorkies. I just ordered my first kit.

Thanks for the link
Betty

Plano, TX

i watched the video and was wondering about the little tool--what does it do --i know it attaches the felt but with thread?

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Needlefelting uses wool roving...'Google' roving and you'll get a tutorial with all the links it generates! Here's a link to U Tube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9hpjSJJHQ

Plano, TX

well i did watch it but the part i don't understand is the little tool--when it pokes into the wool does it have thread? or is the wool just poked into the bigger piece and stays put?

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

The little tool (needle) is barbed and kinda weaves the fabric together.

Betty

Plano, TX

oh--interesting! no thread to bother with --i like that
so what would you make with it? i am thinking a purse--what other ideas do you have

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

You can do any kind of design you want on flat felt. You could do it exactly like embroidery but use the roving instead and just needle it in.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi
If you look on Etsy.com and in the search area type needle felting or felted - you will see some crafts done with the technique. I saw the most beautiful aqua and orange pin cushion - it was beautiful. I had a jewelry roll made for my sis and it was upcycled from a grey man's suit - on the front was a bright yellow needle felted flower with a red bead in the center. All sorts of things can be done. Etsy is a great place for ideas.

Plano, TX

etsy is fun isn't it? my niece is on there and sells jewelry--i need to find her etsy name (i go on in my long way of first finding her email and using the link she gave me)--you right about getting ideas from it--you spend a day on that site!

I have purchased several beautiful fully lined perfectly made infant dresses for mostly under 20 dollars and 15 dollars.

Also 'Eva' made the jewelry roll for my sis to my specs with zippers, snaps etc. fully lined, soft wool for 40 dollars!! with monograms! I was looking at the Vera (Is it vera??) anyway storebrands for more than double that and not nearly as well made.
Got the kids grad gifts from there too for a third of the cost of what I could find in shops and not nearly as nice.

Post your nieces site once you get it - I would love to see it.

Plano, TX

well it is Kab134 but when i tried to put that in i only got one item--i am not so good at using the site yet--but she has a few pages of items--let me know what you think--also i would love to know favorite artist on that site since when i go i spend wayyyyyyyyyyy to much time and that might help me narrow it down some---i might even start a thread on favorite etsy artists---

Sounds like a good thread! I will look at your neices site. My favorite seller on etsy (although not for earrings) is pianobenchdesigns - she is wonderful and has made custom items for me for under 40 dollars. She wrapped silver wire in sort of a cone-like shape (point down) sort of like a cradle /basket and nestled a teardrop shaped stone (baby's birthstone) in it as a present for DIL when granddaughte was born. The pendant was maybe 1.5 inches high and wide and she included a silver chain for 37 dollars total. Then I wanted a 'world' sort of cradled in two hands --with the hands being wingshaped (sounds awful) anyway - symbolic of responsibility and also flying away for a high school grad present for a neice - that too was under 40 dollars and she found the most beautiful blue gemstone for the 'world.' Many many nice earrings on etsy and so I won't pick a favorite there. My favorite seller for infant handmade clothes is sofee and also lamplightcreations (but lamplight doesn't add to her site too frequently. My favorite cow painter (I love cows) is
peacockgarden - every once in a while she will do a shaggy cow (? highland)
Anyway, I will try to find your nieces site. Thank you for posting it.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is my first attempt at needle felting. I need to learn how to blend colors of wool. I don't like the solid head on my yorkie.
1st needle felted yorkie

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 2:38 PM

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tortoisekeeper/Yard%202009/100_1844.jpg

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 2:39 PM

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Then I did this humming bird.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tortoisekeeper/Yard%202009/100_1851.jpg

Wow ---your first attempt!!! I'd like to see your tenth!! beautiful and great color.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks rosie. I hope that my furture ones will come out better. I am working on my first human. Trying to make it look like DH. Still need to add the hair and beard. This is him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tortoisekeeper/Yard%202009/100_1827.jpg

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

This is my needle felted DH minus hair and beard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/tortoisekeeper/Yard%202009/100_1855.jpg

Awww Tortoise --you know your hubby don't have those muscles!! And you have to change the eye color!!! You aren't going to stick pins in it or anything are you??

Seriously, I bet once you get in that head of hair and beard it will look great. Is it a father's day gift?

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL he used to have those muscles about 20 years ago. When I first started making it I was not sure who it would be then decided to do DH for father's day. I will add some green to the eyes. It is very fun sticking needles into him LOL I am nervous doing the hair and beard but hope to have it finished by Sunday.

Betty

I think IF you have to have a beard and hair you could NOT ask for a better model. Your hubbys hair is very distinctive -color, texture and style - and beard too. I bet you will do a JimDandy job of it. He will LOVE it.

Maybe you can felt a little message into it somewhere - or a heart with your initials.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I finished him. I am not real happy with hair or hands. I hope to get better as I go along.

Thumbnail by tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is what DH decided to do with him.

Thumbnail by tortoisekeeper

He's Great!!!!

I think you just have to add a tad more silver and dark hair but sticking up instead of neatly done

I love him sitting on that motorcycle! Glad you got it done for Father's Day. If you email that photo on the motorcycle to Walmart you can get it on a mouse pad for him and/or a refridgerator magnet or even a coffee mug.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

You can't tell in the photo but there is silver running thru the hair. Not sure how to make the hair stick up but will try to figure it out. DH wanted to know why I put so much gray in his hair and did not make it long. I told him that is what your hair looks like LOL. Until about 3 weeks ago his hair was long in the back and his beard was very full. I like the new look better.

Betty

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi!

I'm new to this site, and I've just been reading the different forums and discovered this thread, which is near and dear to my heart!

My hubby and I create artist bears, and he does really fantastic needle felting. You can see some examples on our blog here:
http://whiteforestbears.blogspot.com/

I'm horrible at needle felting, but my hubby is really wonderful at it. I stick to the sewing and stuffing!

Hugs,
Erin

Plano, TX

those are wonderful!! i need to go back and check it out longer tomorrow but had to say how talented your husband is!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks! I wish I could do what he does! He needle felts the eye areas and paw pads for the bears, and the elephant trunk tips and toes. He also does fully felted muzzles which are really beautiful - you can see more pics in our gallery here:

http://www.whiteforestbears.com/gallery.html

I have a total mohair addition, and now I have a plant addiction. I wish there were more hours in the day! I'm just loving this site! I just placed an order for some Giant Elephant Ears from a super nice seller here, and everyone has been so nice!

Hugs,
Erin
-

Plano, TX

i love elephant ears! i am really into them this summer-my first for growing them--they grow so fast! and spread so easily---
your gallery is a fun one--you are both so talented---you mention having a mohair addition-did you mean addiction? and what do you mean by that--that you collect mohair yarn to knit with?
i love almost all crafts and handmade things and am fascinated by what people make-etsy is a favorite visiting place for me!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm excited to try them - I hope they do ok in our hot sun - if not I'll bring them indoors.

I meant to say "addiction" - I sew most of our bears out of mohair fur, and I can't stop myself from buying it and trying new things....sort of like a plant addiction! lol.

I also love Etsy - the artists are just amazing!

Plano, TX

i have such a love of fabrics and so i know i would love your bears--but when you said made of mohair fur----do you buy mohair and make it into fur? sorry for being so dense about the process but you might as well know now that i am going to pester you about this mohair :) -----------------------those bears must be so soft and wonderful to the touch

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You're not being dense at all and I always love talking about fabrics and mohair. The mohair fur is weaved onto a backing (cotton usually) - so it looks like when you buy faux fur or something at Joanne's...except mohair sews like butter and is really wonderful to work with. Most of my mohair comes from Germany, and I purchase it through a few US suppliers.

My favorite is Schulte mohair, which is the same brand that Steiff uses for all of their bears. Kid mohair is the softest, and I also love Alpaca fur, but it gives me a headache, though it's suppose to be hypoallergenic! Go figure!

I dye a lot of our furs myself, which makes them even more unique. Hubby paints the eyes, does the needle felting, scissor sculpts and shades them, and really turns them into a work of art.

He just took photos of a new custom yellow bear - I'll post pics when I get them from him.
Hugs,
Erin

Plano, TX

i didn't see how to order a bear on the site and i think i am too late to be part of the bear making choices (forget how you phrased it but choosing everything for the next bear)--
thanks for the very easy to understand explanation -how nice that you and hubby work together-- that must be fun--my husband and i have different interests and at one time i thought how nice it would be if he gardened---but then i decided i like having the gardening to myself since i like the solitude of it and also i know our styles would be so different and might make for a lot of "discussions"--
i don't want to compare your work to beanie babies and insult you but-------i got so hooked on those beanie babies! which is not like me--but they were so darn cute and compact! anyhow i just know that your creations will be the same for many folks--

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh Erin the bears are beautiful. If you ever want to trade daylilies or iris for one of your bears just let me know.

Betty

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for your kind words! I really appreciate it! We love working together, and it's always so much fun. I use to work in the corporate world (hubby's a tech guy too), and I enjoy this much better!

We do custom orders, and also have them on our website and ebay - we just don't have any up right now as we're working on customs.

I wish the bears could garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images