It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Asking for your experiences?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

prob. just direct sow. i only do tomatoes, cukes and peppers some. i did get some tomato seeds out of florida that they lady said would self sow. so i will winter sow those.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Pod,
Thanks for inquiring about Aunt Bea. She ate a full plate stewed chicken, rice & gravy, potato salad, and apple pie this past Sunday. Of course it was a contraband plate that I sneaked in only because she was refusing to eat the hospital food and her strength was waning.

Well. I think she's bouncing back, praise God! They're getting her up and walking this week.

Meanwhile, the 83-yr-old twins continue to pick at each other, and I'm agonizing that I run home to cook dinner for them every evening, and by the time we finish it's almost 8:00 p.m. and pitch black outside.

The only thing this time change is doing for me is waking me up at 4:30 a.m. every morning. I figure next week I may as well get started back in the gym, so I can begin living up to my name -- again...

Linda

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yum ~ How could you sneak that food in.... it had to smell wonderful. And with all your good cooking, I'd need to live at the gym. Sounds like you have your hands full of vintage children.

I could sleep past 4:30 but my pets have acclimated to the time change yet and morning time is the only day light I have to enjoy. This too will pass.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

"vintage children"... I like that. I'll have to remember that one.

Karen

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

podster i like your sense of humor. you are funny. my kind of girl.

That has been on my mind lately with my 91 YO Mom. She does not have Altzhiemers but rather seems to have Sometimers disease. It seems I always am mediating between her and my siblings (long distance). Some of her antics... and some are intentional make me think how childlike we become as we get older. Hence, vintage children and I am on my way....

I tell ya'll, I'm am learning a LOT of life lessons about being "vintage." I just pray that I HEED these examples, and start making some changes NOW, so that I can enter into those "vintage" years in a far better state.

Like these lessons:
Hold your friends and family dear and close -- you'll need them later!
Keep moving, even when it hurts -- the minute you stop moving, you won't move again!
Cut out the sugar and the salt now -- a mountain of health issues could be avoided!
DRINK THE WATER NOW -- my urinary tract and my skin will thank me later!
Participate in activities that bring you joy -- nothing is worse than having nothing to do except being in vintage condition and having nothing to do...
FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS -- old age is not the time to irritate people with how YOU want to do things in THEIR home....
Buy the best clothes you can afford NOW, so they'll still be classics and you can still look sharp when you're old and penniless....
Get PLENTY of exercise now, and keep on exercising till you freeze up or die (you'll have to fit into those clothes....)
Be VERY careful who you put in charge of your finances if you're down -- I've heard horror stories from these Aunties of how their life savings have been wiped out by relatives they trusted....
Be FLEXIBLE. Rigidity in the vintage years is like the oak tree and the willow tree against a hurricane -- the flexible willow bends and stands to weather the next storm -- the stubborn oak tree snaps in defiance of the wind!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I guess I needed to get these thoughts out of my head...these are my experiences.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2009 8:44 AM

No way ~ I think you need to keep those thoughts IN YOUR HEAD! Those are excellent thoughts... one my Mom always said was you needed to cultivate younger friends as you age... otherwise you will be alone if you outlive your friends.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Can somebody scan their paint pen so I will know what it looks like when I go shopping? Will Michael's sell them? I have to drive 15-17 miles to a Walmart. Michael's is 1 mile away.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture. My Michael's sells this deco brand. They're about the size of any marker and cost around $3 there.
http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=107865

Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And most Michael's is usually big. Just ask a clerk what aisle they're in.

Karen

Um I found a great way to "drill" the holes in the milk jugs. Quick. I used a hot phillips screwdriver. I put it on the kitchen burner. It went really quickly, too! Also, It is better to burn the holes before you cut the jug. I finished about 25 jugs 2day. Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, make the holes before cutting as the jug will be stronger. Once cut it really has no strength.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I cut the jug open first, then place on a piece of scrap wood. Then it's very solid and I stab through the bottom of the jug with somethng (whatever I grab- knife, utility knife) and put something (usually skinny scissors) thru holes into wood and twist. Done.

Karen

Same here ~ cut first, stabbed & twisted from inside seem to work well.

Gymgirl ~ was the melting plastic stinky? 8 )

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

We know how important it is to have those milk jugs washed out with soap and water when they are first emptied. Just in case somebody is saving them for us or we happened upon somebody's recycle bin and find the jugs have not been washed out, what is recommended to get that horrible odor out? Soap and water and vinegar, or bleach? Baking soda?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Uhhhhh, I just rinse them out and go! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Me, too. If it's our jug, it just gets rinsed in tap water. If it's a stinky sour milk one I clean with bleach to get rid of the stench.

Karen

I'm getting mine from Starbucks, so quite a few are stinky. I just wash em after I cut em open... And, no, the hot plastic wasn't stinky - just hot standing so near the burner after awhile! Now, somebody tell me again why we do this? Linda

Quoting:
somebody tell me again why we do this?

At that desolate time of year when it is cold, dreary and summer seems far away, this should say it all...

Thumbnail by podster
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Cute babies, podster!

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Gymgirl... we had a discussion about this 2 yrs ago i think... about the toxicity of the melted plastic. The few times i did that, i made sure the vent fan was on over the stove... that seemed to help.

I too get some from Starbucks... sometimes they dont get washed out and may sit in the bag at the basement sink for a few days... and then they will get stinky... but otherwise, I only rinse.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

what is that podster?

That was last Feb and the first green growth in a wintersown milk jug. Honestly, I don't recall what that was and won't lie about it ~ LOL

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

wonderful. mystery flowers. can't wait to know. will you put these into individual pots?

I didn't wintersow
any flowers last year. Those were either vegies or herbs. Whichever it was, I know I enjoyed them from the time they sprouted till I ate them. 8 )

tcs1366,
Thanks for the reminder! Glad I didn't keel over!

Pod,
Thanks for the reminder! I'm hoping to winter sow as many of my veggie seeds as I can. I spent an aweful lot of money on seedlings I lost last season. This year I spent a little bit of $ for a whole lotta seeds. Hoping to grow good sturdy seedlings and resell em to my co-workers who are gardeners. I figure if places can sell em for $3.50/seedling, I certainly have a shot at selling em for at least $1-2. Don't need a profit. Just enough to cover my own gardening expenses!

I just have to remember which veggies get winter sowed and which ones get direct sowed!

P.S. Have you ever tried winter sowing any tomato plants? I'd really rather not go through the whole indoor, light stand process this time. The DH is on the warpath about our electricity bill. And, while you and I know it only costs pennies a day to run the fluorescent lights, my DH will swear that's what's jacking up the bill! So, to avoid that argument, I'm leaning toward trying to winter sow my tomato seeds.

I'm hearing that anytime after December 21st (Winter Solstice) is a "go" date for winter sowing? I'll put some of the tomato seedlings out then, and more sowing sometime after January 9th for planting out starting the last weekend in February. I'm gonna be brave and bold this planting season, and truly push the weather envelope!

Linda

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Linda -- i've never do it, but i've read tomatoes are WS"able.

I think on Trudi's site the WS.org ... she has a list of veggies that can be WS'ed.

Absolutely on wintersowing the tomato seeds. I had never started them from seed before and was so happy with the results, I will never purchase plants again. I don't know if they are still offering but http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html was giving out free tomato seeds. You could select the kind you wanted to try or as I did, I just asked them to select some that were suitable to this zone. They sent so many that I won't need to buy any for a while. There should be no electricity necessary. The only thing I did when they began to sprout was provide protection on frosty nights. You shouldn't get too many frosty nights in your area. I didn't sow till the beginning of Feb here as our "in the ground dates" are later.

Thanks Guys (er & Gals)!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm going to try wintersowing my tomatoes this year after seeing what Pod did with her's last year. When do I need to start them? Can I grow them in 16 oz plastic cups?

I don't have any experience with cups, are you covering them? I imagine you would only put one seed to a cup and feel that would work fine. I started mine around the 1st of Feb. and they were still a bit early for the cool temps.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I suppose I could cover them! LOL I might try cups inside of jugs or something like that??? Who knows! I'm going to experiment. Lord knows I've got enough seeds! LOL

I used jugs for the tomato seeds and then shared the extra plants with friends. I was interested to hear from them on how well the shared plants produced.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I might try a few in a couple of different types of containers and see what happens. I've got a huge clear tote I could use for one of them.

Hey Guys,
I'm gonna use my milk jugs to sow each individual variety, keeping careful track of what's what. I'll just sow liberally, then separate when it's time to pot up. I'm gonna sow seeds on Saturday, January 9th.

According to the WS website, I don't need to wait for true leaves to form before transplanting, so as soon as those cotlyedons??? show (and MAYBE the two true leaves peek out), I'm gonna transplant them to 16 oz. cups. I'll use the cup itself as a WS vessel to protect the seedling. All the better if I can get lids to fit. I'll transplant to eBuckets by February 6th and to the EBs by Feb 27th. Later for the EBs since there's not protection. Although (I DO love this brainstorming with ya'll!) I did just read on the WS site about using water bottles as clotches?? Hmmm. That could work for the EBs... I sense that an experiment is coming on!

My process will be to plant the seedling deep as I can reach inside the 16oz cup, and then add potting mix gradually as the seedling grows taller -- it's Bocabob's deep rooting system in the self-container veggies forum. This way, by the time I'm ready to transplant to the EBs and colander eBuckets, I'll have almost 16" of root along the entire stem.

I may use the same process when I go to the eBuckets, too. Start 'em deep, and fill in as the plant grows taller. This'll be easier in the eBuckets, because there's a lid to protect them. Actually, the more I flesh this out, the more sense it makes in the eBuckets. By the time I fill it in, I should have close to 20-24" of roots on each tomato stem.

I can do the same for the okra and eggplants, too!

If this works, I'm gonna sell my healthiest excess seedlings for at least $1.50 apiece, just to cover my growing expenses (coco coir, cups, lids, and fertilizer), from season to season. I have alotted $100 for my entire 2010 gardening budget.... Linda

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 9:51 AM

This message was edited Dec 8, 2009 9:59 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gymgirl: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never done this before, have you?

You may be overthinking/overplanning things. If you're planning to sow a lot of seeds, you are describing a huge project. I never pot up anything, everything goes from milk jug to ground. You should be able to transplant everything early in Texas, right into the garden.

The beauty of wintersowing is it's simplicity. And if done in the usual way, it's very inexpensive and works well.

Karen

Karen,
You are correct -- I've never done winter sowing before -- I guess my tretise exposed me, huh?

I'm only planning on sowing seeds for about 6-10 varieties of tomatoes, in only 6-10 milk jugs. The first year I ever tried tomatoes, I ended up with 130 seedlings -- faaaaaaar too many for my very small backyard eBucket/EB operation! This season, I'm shooting for a total of only 12-15 tomato plants for myself, and selling/giving away any past that number.

So, with WS, I do NOT have to pot up into anything, first? Directly into the EBs and eBuckets? Well, now, that certainly is a horse of a different color! And, that certainly is beautiful simplicity!

Thanks, Karen

P.S. Do not EVER hesistate to set me straight and back on the right track when you see me straying...I TRULY appreciate not having to repeat unnecessary mistakes!

I've spent an aweful lot of money on my gardening mistakes. I can't afford more expensive mistakes!

Again, Thanks!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was waiting for Karen to reply as shes quite eloquent.

and Linda... yes, you do not need to pot up.... just go from the milkjug to the EBs or buckets. and yes, it is beautifully simple.

Now, I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY excited! I can't wait so throw some seeds into some milk jugs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.