Over summer outdoors

Aurora, IL

I have several Amaryllis that bloomed this winter. I've been watering and caring for them. Now I would like to place them, in their pots, in my yard. I understand that in September, I should stop watering so they will go dormant and bloom again next winter.

Can you give me advice regarding summer care? I'm in zone 5, the yard is either part-sunny or or mostly shade. Would they do better with more or less sun, generally? Also, do I feed them now?

Thanks for your help.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Hope someone answers, I'm interested to know too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too......

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Since no-one else has taken the plunge - I will.

I don't have any idea what your general weather is like but I'll point out one thing, Hippeastrums ARE native to Mexico/Central America; and mention another, It gets VERY hot here in our summers (last year we peaked at 116F/47C) and the worst thing that happened to most of mine was a few burnt leaves - unsightly, but not life threatening. A couple of bulbs did go completely dormant during the heatwave and loose all their leaves, but they started up again as soon as the weather moderated. All of my Hippeastrums are outdoors in pots year round in something pretty close to full sun - the shade from the garage does not reach them until quite late in the day.

This picture (please excuse the MESS) was taken on New Years Eve - you can see how sunny it is, and this was about a month before the big heatwave. The Hippeastrums are all in the big green pots on the middle bench. All I do to change their routine is put saucers under the pots when it is hot and dry, and take the saucers away when the winter comes. I also water the Hippies about twice as often as the Succulents in the summer time, but that is it.

As always, if you are considering moving a plant from low light to bright you will need to do it gradually, so that it can become accustomed to the extra intensity, but I have no reason to think you will have too much trouble, based on my experience with the plants.

I hope this helps, but please remember I have NO experience with growing in your Zone 5 conditions.

Ciao, KK.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty
Aurora, IL

Thank you KK.

So I won't worry about the sun, after adjusting to the change from indoors to outdoors. If they can take that intense heat, our summers should be easy on them!

Now I'm concerned about the coolness of the current temps. I moved them out on Sunday in a mostly sunny, sheltered location -- on a bench like KK. I wonder if we should feed them later in the summer before they go dormant for those few weeks in Sept/Oct. I feed my spring bulbs before the leaves die down and wonder if the same would apply here....?

This may just be a Grand Experiment! It was my first year growing them and they were so pretty!

Ewing, VA

Spring/Summer care for potted hippies outside:

Sun and food so they can leaf out as much as they can before fall. The more leaves, the more chances they would rebloom for you the next season.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

By October, minimize fertilizer. Observe your hippies. If they still are growing new leaves, give just a little bit. If they have stopped any new growth, stop feeding, lessen water, let leaves mature and eventually turn yellow, put to rest. Beware of our cold rains during these fall months. They will survive the low 40F temps as long as they are dry. A $1 drop cloth comes very handy if there is forcasted rain. By November, I put most of the hippies to rest. Cut all leaves, give fungicide, place in unheated garage (40Fs average) for at least 8 weeks before forcing to bloom indoors or just wait for spring when they wake up on their own.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Aurora, IL

Thank you mariava7.

Ewing, VA

You are most welcome. I am in Zone 6/7 depending on the coldness of the winter. Adjust your timing as your zone gets cold earlier than mine.

A flower for everybody.... spring/summer bloomer...Sonatini Candy. Happy hippie gardening to all!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you!

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Thank You.

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

I planted mine in the garden in April and got this last weekend.

Thumbnail by susandonb1141
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! April would be way too soon up here...

Coolidge, AZ(Zone 9a)

I planted mine in the ground, among my roses, after they bloomed this winter, so they're not going to go dormant. Does this mean they won't bloom again?

Mesa, AZ

kayzee, I'm in Phoenix, and have plenty of amaryllis planted in the ground. They do not need to go dormant in order to bloom again. Many amaryllis can be considered evergreen. They do need about 8-10 weeks of temps around 55 degrees, which isn't a problem even here in Phoenix. I've even had them stay evergreen down to 18 degrees when we had that really cold spell about three years ago, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Susandonb -
I also have an amaryllis in the garden that - to my great surprise - bloomed this past weekend! I had planted it on Memorial Day, but wasn't expecting it to bloom since it already had indoors over the winter. I'm not sure what it means for the cycle of the bulb, but I'll let it do its thing and then pull it out of the garden in October so it has some rest time.

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

That is great! Peck. I just leave them in the garden and buy new ones for Christmas. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.