It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Gerber Daisies

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You just gotta love them!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here's some in my chicken planter.

Thumbnail by hart
Pretoria, South Africa

I agree! Just beautiful...

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I see your a orange lover as well!!!
Orange always makes me feel happy!
Thanks Elsa,Pretoria,is that were the Pretoria canna comes from???

Pretoria, South Africa

Sorry, double posted

This message was edited May 27, 2009 10:49 PM

Pretoria, South Africa

Yes, if I'm not mistaken... it is also known as the Jacaranda City. Pretoria is a very friendly city, and truly beautiful in Spring when thousands of Jacarandas flower on the sidewalks. :-)

This message was edited May 29, 2009 2:26 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Must be the other heaven!!!
Lucky you,getting to live on heaven on earth as well!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

There are so many beautiful plants we grow that are from Africa. Just keep sending them our way, Elsa. LOL

Yes, I am an orange lover, Tropicman. Would you like to see my orange coneflower?

Thumbnail by hart
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh my Hart,all yours already blooming!!!!!LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Goodness, no. That's from last year. LOL I am seriously lusting after Tiki Torch, which is even more orange, but I'm getting pretty leery of these new coneflowers. Not to mention I have a hard time justifying the price for one coneflower plant.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes it seems prices are higher this year than last year.
Yes I look the pot that has a couple plants,instead of the pot that has the biggest plant!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

How are your gerbera's holding up? I have some in my planters on the front steps, but they seem to have given up.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Foliage is still green but the heat has stopped them from flowering,Monday is fertilizing day,so we shall see in a couple weeks if it has a effect on the!!!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Do they stop flowering in the heat? I've been fertilizing regularly. Maybe I will just hang on to these.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

That has been my experience.
I think they need a rest period after blooming .
Mine bloomed pretty heavy during the spring and only sparaticly blooming now!
Burt the foliage still looks great!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a photo of mine blooming down here In Ft Lauderdale, FL. These are all in their second or third year in the ground. They pretty much bloom year round down here, but their heaviest blooming period seems to be October-May. The biggest mistake I made with these is planting them too close to the sidewalk. The sidewalk heats up in the summer. They have to be heavily watered every two days in the summer or else they start to wilt and the blooms droop. Usually they will bounce back in a couple of hours if watered.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very nice,do these get some shade?

Thanks Don. This area gets shade in the morning and the evening. They are out in the sun from about 10AM-6PM. I have some in the back yard that only get morning sun. They do not bloom as well. I took this photo this morning of another container of them out front. These gerberas have been in this container for a little over a year now. The key to keeping them blooming/looking good here in the summer is morning water water water. They immediately start to wilt at the slightest sign of dryness. Evening watering does not work well here. It promotes root rot potential and powdery mildew issues.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I know mine looked wilted by the end of the day,and I start my watering around 3:30 pm,and after about a hour after watering they have perked back up again.
Like yours mine get the sun at the same times as yours.
Mine are in one gallon nursery pots,I was thinking about potting up and try to over winter them.Not had much luck in the past,as mites love to feed on them.

If you can try to work in morning waterings, every couple of days, you will notice they hold up better during the day. I've noticed if you can cut down the number of times they wilt in the summer it makes a big difference. They will be able to put energy into flower bud production instead of putting all their energy into maintaining foliage. My Gerberas were a disaster and didn't bloom much in 2007 and 2008 in the summer. Just changing to regular morning waterings this summer have made all the difference.

Pretoria, South Africa

Another thing about gerberas - they hate having their crown covered. Make sure they aren't planted too deep. That way they should overwinter okay...

Very very true. The ones in the ground here are planted in a mound. It also helps to prune back a little of the foliage if it gets too thick. That way the sun can work its way to the crown of the plant and produce flower buds.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Some good ideas!!!

Mix it up a bit Don and see if some of these slight changes makes a difference for you. The results won't happen overnight, but you just might see some good changes occurring in the next month or so.

Jon

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ok I will,because thats about all time left outside I'll have,I start bringing plants in October.

Yeah, that's very true. The only time I'm bringing plants inside is when a hurricane's approaching or on an occasional cold night in the winter.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well lets pray neither happens!!!!

LOL. I don't mind a cold night. At least there's something I can do about that kind of weather. The only hurricanes that have impacted here, since I've lived here, were "Andrew", "Katrina" and "Wilma" and they were before I was into gardening. I didn't mind losing trees back then, but the thought of losing most of my plants doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Never been in a hurricane,but we've had hurricane strong winds at 85MPH.
I thought the roof of my greenhouse was going to blow away,but it held up fine.
Well just got back from watering them,will try for a while and see what happens!!!

Just imagine having those 85 mph winds going on for hours and hours and hearing things falling/breaking/hitting the house. All of the windows are covered so you really have no exact idea of what is going on out there during those hours. It's a bizarre anticipation when you feel you can finally open a door and take your first look outside at things. Usually the first word out of your mouth is "wow".

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well I hope I never have to feel that!!!!
Yes I was just wanting the wind to stop,and it only lasted 15 minutes at best,and at night when you can't see whats going on even makes it worse,I don't know how you people stand it!!
I'd go crazy,worrying to death!!!!!
We just went thru a hail storm large as baseballs here,put huge holes thru my greenhouse panels,I'm lucky I can go to Lowes and get the poly tuf panels,but my friends just told me yesterday,they have Harbor freight greenhouse,10 week wait to get panels for those,going to be close,might have freezing weather by that time!

I usually end up listening to music on an ipod so that you don't have to listen to all the noise going on outside. My gerberas are still recovering from last months hailstorm here in Ft Lauderdale. The hail just went through much of the foliage and left holes in the leaves. Here's what the hail looked like as it started accumulating on the roof back in June. A rare sight for Florida in the middle of the summer!
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I didn't even know you got hail that far south!!!
You never hear about it around here on the news!
Just here about the water spouts and hurricanes!

We usually get hail once every two years or so but it's usually very brief and small in size. The day it hailed in June it was quarter sized hail and went on for a good 10-15 minutes. You couldn't really see it in the grass, but any areas where there was mulch, turned completely white. It did quite some damage to the hibiscus foliage also.

Pretoria, South Africa

Here are some growing instructions from one of the leading Gerbera growers in South Africa - (Daphne Upham from Barberton Daisy Nursery)

Position: Full sun or very light shade. Protect from frost in winter with a mulch of leaves. (Keep in mind that it doesn't get all that cold here in SA)

Planting and space: Do not cover the crown of the plant as it will get crown rot. Plant it at the same level as in the bag/pot.

Water: Do not over water. Just keep the soil damp until well established. Water in winter only when the soil becomes fairly dry. The roots must never stand in water.

Food: Hybrids can be fed twice a month with a diluted fertilizer to promote flowering.

Grooming: Pick off the old flowers to promote further flowering and remove dead leaves to prevent fungus infections.

Containers: They flower best when grown in small containers that make them slightly pot bound. Use a free draining potting mix. When repotting, make sure the crown isn't covered, and keep in a shaded place until the plant has re-established itself.

Division: Clumps of flowers can be divided in Autumn. After transplanting you will only get full sized, long-stemmed flowers in the following Spring. Plants can last up to three years if cared for properly, after which the plant can become stunted.

Diseases: If grown in too much shade or over watered, the plant can become susceptible to fungus diseases like powdery mildew, grey mold and leaf spots. Watch out for leaf miners, a small fly that causes deformed flowers. Spray every two weeks with an organic insecticide.

Keep in mind that the flowers are considered "water wise" here in South Africa, and that they thrive in hot, sunny gardens, growing in between rocks on sandy slopes where their strong roots hold the soil in place.

Hope it helps,
Elsa

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Elsa,
Lots of good info there!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Have not done theses in a while...

Have lots of them in the ground outside. They're considered perennials here. Grew a few from seed back in 2007. They are pretty slow growers and the seeds are quite expensive. Do love that there are endless numbers of color combinations in gerberas. Seems like the most common series grown for retail sales is the "Festival Series". Gerbera Daisies last week snuggled along the front sidewalk.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Droooool!

So hows the rain Jon?

It's just very windy and warm tonight with a cold front approaching. Rain seems to be all around, but not raining here. Bought a reddish-orange bromeliad plant at Walmart today, so reading up on how to take care of it. Is the snow still coming down and the wind picking up this evening?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images