Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers, part 18

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Everybody!!!
Would you like to join in a discussion about growing and propagating native Texas plants?
Texas native plants are beautiful. I am sure many of you have them in your garden. Let us share what we have experienced and learn from each other.
Your Friend;
Josephine.

To reach the previous threads click here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960518/

The picture is of my back yard garden with the fig tree in the center.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine, the leaves on the Morus microphylla are rough on both sides. My Carolina Buckthorns have been blooming for a while now. The way I usually notice that is that I hear the bees buzzing.

Yes, the bees and butterflies do love the buckthorn, the one at the wildscape does the same, it becomes a magnet.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My Buckthorn is still tiny too, I bought it at the Molly Hollar Wildscape plant Sale a couple years ago. Here is some Penstemons nearby for size reference.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My Standing Cypress is teasing me big time! It just keeps getting higher without blooms.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am sure it has reached 7 foot by now. I am 5'2" and it is way taller than I can reach! I better get some blooms!
Yes, I fell for the hanging planter...not impressed. I only have two tiny cherry tomatoes so far.

Sheila, how much fertilizer did you give that thing? My only plant is just starting to bloom now...but I'm not very nice to it, so it's not very big. I'll try to take a pic later.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Don't fertilize just sprinkle a few coffee grounds and it does get watered pretty often by the sprinkler system.
Just a few minutes ago I went out on the deck and glanced toward the SC, and panic struck me. I didn't see it, so I flew out and found it laying on the ground. We had wind and rain last night and thankfully it didn't break that I can tell, just fell over. I stood it up and put supports around it; hopefully it will be ok.

My goodness Sheila, I thin you have a record there, can't wait to see it in bloom.
The best one I ever managed to grow got broken by a hail stone just before setting flowers, I am glad yours survived.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I noticed a slight hint of red on the top stems after the sun was out today. Maybe tomorrow it will finally bloom!

Well, mine is blooming a bit now.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My word Linda, no wonder you asked what I was feeding mine!!! Glad you are getting blooms; looks like you have a bit of wind too.

James, here are the Giant Coneflowers you sent me last year they are beautiful, thank you so much.
Josephine.

Becky, in the pot with your Brazos Mint we had another plant hitching a ride, it turned out to be
Carolina Wild Petunia, here it is so pretty, I am thrilled to have it. Thank you again.
http://wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=2321
Josephine.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Howdy y'all. sorry I am so behind in messages I have been busy in the garden!! My sunflowers are at least 7 ft tall now!! Just georgous with several heads on one stalk! I have yet to get the photos developed.
I won yard of the month for May & that was BEFORE everything started blooming!! The roses were in bloom though.. that's probably why! hahaha

That sounds great, congratulations Cindy!!!
Josephine.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

OK I have hundreds of digital photos of the wildflowers in our prairie but, alas, not the patience to download them with dialup. :-( But can someone identify this beauty. I haven't seen it until we moved here, and then only a few here and there. Spring bloomer that is going to seed now. Maybe 6" to 1' range in height. Stacey

I think you have Yellow Flax, Linum berlandieri var. berlandieri and a very nice specimen you have there.
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LIBEB2

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes! That is what they are! I'm so excited to know their name as I've been trying to find out since they started blooming this Spring. Funny that they are called "Yellow Flax" because they are really more of a peachy color, which is why they really stood out - peach is an unusual color in our prairie area. Thanks so much for solving the mystery Josephine! Oh I saw my first balloon flower blooms today - so exciting! :) Stacey

You are welcome Stacey, I am glad I was able to help, wildflowers are so neat!!!

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

that Yellow Flax is so pretty.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a wild corner of my yard. Recent rains have brought out the dayflowers (Commelina erecta, I believe).

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

In another area I found this lavender lady. I picked the normal blue form and set it beside the lavender to show the contrast.

Very pretty Agaveguy.

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

Agaveguy, your Commelina are so much nicer than mine, and much more numerous. My blooms are tiny and only two or three at a time out of the whole bunch.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

CarloinTX,
Give 'em lots of sun and treat 'em mean. They thrive on abuse. As much as I love those blue flowers, they are quite the weed here. I am constantly vigilant not to let them into most of the cultivated areas as they seed so prolifically.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a native shrub that I have learned to love. Chapotillo or Amyris texana. It's an evergreen bush of the Citrus family, Rutaceae. It blooms spring through summer several times, depending on rain. The tiny white flowers are produced in great profusion and have a strong, sweet scent. This pic was taken this morning after good rains last week. The entire garden was perfumed and the bees were ecstatic. Small, round black fruits follow. This bush is about 5 feet wide and 6 feet high, growing under the edge of the canopy of Live Oaks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Fairy Dusters. Calliandra conferta. After a very heavy early spring bloom, they are spitting out a few more flowers due to the recent rains.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Up close with a Fairy Duster.

The Elderberry Tree has been blooming. But the flowers are starting to fall off, so I'll be walking by there and there's tiny white flowers on the ground, in potted plants, etc.

Edinburg, TX

The Yellow Show (Amoreuxia Wrightii) are in bloom now. Seems the several inches of rain received in Starr County, TX gave them the boost they needed. I saw six different plants in bloom at the ranch today. I've got them staked out in the hopes of harvesting seeds. I also dug up one to put in a pot - the root system in huge - looks like a fat carrot :o)

~ Cat

Those are hard to raise from seed. Someone gave me lots of seeds last year with info on germinating them. Many didn't germinate and a few died while small. But I've got two plants now. Hoping for blooms later on! If you get seeds, let me know, I can send you the info i have.

Oh my goodness Everybody, such beautiful plants, I am so excited !!!!

Let us see, I don't have Chapotillo, or Fairie Duster, or Yellow Show, but i bet those plants wouldn't be hardy here in DFW area. I am so jealous!!!

I do have Elderberry and I love them, used to make Elderberry jam, my most favorite, but the birds won't let me have them now, they are always gone before they ripen.
Josephine.

Edinburg, TX

Linda,

Am assuming the Yellow Show out at the ranch grows from seeds as the plants are within half a dozen feet from each other. I figured they were hardy plants as they grow in our drought stricken area - which means rock hard dirt :o) Guess that's why they have such a huge root/tuber!!! They need that to hold onto any water they get from Mother Nature :o)

~ Cat

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

Agaveguy, I didn't choose where mine (Commelina) are growing. They've planted themselves in the yard right along the back fence, and they're shaded by the backyard trees for the most part, but the city cut a lot of my trees back this year to get them off the powerline, so they have a bit more sun than in the past. This is the first year I've actually noticed them. They're growing up in the yard, and if they get to be a pest, I'll just mow them down. If they get worse, I'll hand pull them.

Carl

Denton, TX(Zone 8a)

Shiela_FW, I love those standing cypress. I may have to get some.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Having seen the two Commelina colors (Great shot! - I'd be very excited to find a lavender one!) reminded me of some of my Spiderworts growing around here. I took this pic with a similar format as Agaveguy's. Josephine....I'll bet you'll recognize them!
Lee

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A close up of one of the pink ones

Yes I love Spiderworts, the are so pretty, and they bloom and bloom, I have the blue and the hot pink and honestly can't decide which color I like best. They can take shade and that is a good thing in my back yard. There are many varieties and they are all great. They also hybridize which is neat.
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TROH

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You know the song..... "Anticipation..is making me wait"? Well finally I have something to show for it. I guess because of my shady backyard in mornings the Standing Cypress grew so tall before it bloomed. It does get hot full sun for about 6 afternoon hours. I need to get a yardstick on my head and measure it! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.