2nd Year Tiki Torch Photos

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Finally a few blooms here. The main stems blooms were wrecked with our crummy wet month long lack of sun and warm temps in June but a lot of side shoot buds and blooms still. This one is about 3" wide now and the plant itself is doing well even with the rotten weather. Almost all the perennials are late, spindly or not up to par with the usual performance this year. Lots of slugs, bugs and fungus too. Just happy to see some color at last.

Thumbnail by ngam
Page, ND

ngam - now that one is pretty!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

ngam - Thanks for sharing that. It's helpful to know what is possible with these plants. I know we all don't get the same exact plants, but it is possible to get larger blooms. However, here is what is claimed in Terra Nova's description...

"massive 4 " flowers."

Here's a link to the Terra Nova description...

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=420

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

That's a nice bloom with good form ngam. I haven't seen any MASSIVE 4 1/2 blooms on mine. I'll keep waiting though for as long as it takes.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

These are smaller than last year's blooms which were about 4". It is a side shoot bloom so maybe that is the reason, or the lousy rain for days on end and lack of sunshine even when it isn't pouring down from the sky. It is coming down in buckets right now. I am so sick of rain!

I know what you mean. The weather doesn't seem to be working with us this year. It's been hot and dry here all summer so far. We finally had rain this weekend while I was gone to Florida. YAY. Sorry to hear about all the rain up there. Echinaceas hate that kind of weather with a passion! I'm just glad your plants aren't dying from too much moisture.

I lost my Coral Reef :( :( :( I hate it when I lose a new plant. I had two of them and both died. Fortunately my Flame Thrower is doing great! I saved that one. I think it's going to be a winner!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I hate when a new plant you really want to see bloom goes bad. Sorry for the loss of CR. Flame Thrower is my #1 pick for next year. I am hoping to get a preview from all of you guys that have it already. I have mostly decent drainage here but even with good drainage enough is enough. Seems it is all or nothing with the rain this year depending on where you live. I guess you got our rain, the sun actually was out for three days in a row over the weekend! It has been a long time since that has happened here, maybe back in April.

Yeah, usually the blooms forming from the middle of the crown and appearing at the beginning of the blooming cycle seem to be the largest and tallest for me down here. Finally three days of NO rain down here has been a good change. Things have been too damp for too long the last month or so. The Echies like to be dry and I've been getting tired of having to towel them dry every day. Whack! LOL
Jon

I can tell Flame Thrower is going to be nice. I bet I don't get blooms this year, but that is going to be a huge plant! The crown has many growths. It's not like Pink Poodle in that regard.

Not sure if I'll get Flame Thrower blooms this year either. It's just hanging out in the ground and slowly growing right now.

Jon - I read an article some place that said these plants get huge. I think they are bigger than many other Echies. My plug is spreading out too. I can see this one being covered with blooms in year 2.

I hope you're right. It's growing slowly, but looks healthy. The other one I received, at the same time, Tangerine Dream is growing very fast. Maybe it senses that "family" is close by. My tangelo tree is only about 15 feet away.
Jon

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I also read that it is a big plant, as I recall 40"x40". Tangerine Dream also on the list for next year, I hope they don't mind living up north away from family and to strike out on their own. LOL

Maybe they won't notice the difference since they're blindfolded in a box and have no idea where they ended up when you open the box. They just look around and say "where am I"??? LOL I'm sure glad we don't travel that way!

Jon

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I suppose we can tell them they were adopted. :)

I think that's a good idea. Can you imagine if we were in a box and then it was opened and we had to figure out where we were based on the plants around us. Sounds like a reality show.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.