It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Leak in preformed pond

Jacksonville, FL

I am new on the forum but need help! My preformed pond developed a crack on the bottom (from a root) I fixed the crack with gorilla glue and put duct tape over it for added protection, then sprayed rubberized undercoating on the entire interior of the pond to seal any other possible leaks. The water level is dropping on the pond again and I am waiting to see if it drains to the bottom. Can anyone suggest what I can use to spray on the entire interior to seal the pond well? Do they make some sort of spray silicone that is water resistant? I am totally at a loss. I have no fish in the pond but would like to put some in at a later date. Any help is much appreciated!


noonamah, Australia

What are the dimensions of the pond? And is it inground or above ground?

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I recently sealed some urns that I am using for my dwarf lotus with clear silicone. The silicone comes in a calking tube from HD or Lowes etc. pretty cheap. It is sort of hard to spread and stinks until it dries but it did the trick. There is probably a better way....
You might want to sand the area around the crack just slightly with some fine grit sand paper before you apply the silicone or other adhesive to make sure that it sticks a little better and give it something to grip into vs the smooth plastic. Make sure the area is very clean and dry before applying as well.

You could also use another thin pond liner for the inside of the pond or some thick mm plastic and just seal it around the inside of the top of your pond.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 11:46 AM

Jacksonville, FL

Thank you angel tree for the suggestions-I may go to a marine supply place and ask them their opinion on a sealant.
The pond is inground approx 5' X 8' and 2' deep. A pond liner would require taking apart the rocks, flagstone and waterfall which is what I am trying to avoid.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

They make pond liner patches, which are black thick rubber discs with sticky stuff on one side. The ones I had were about 6 inches big. I'm not sure how big your crack/hole is, but they would work beautifully, since they are intended to be under water. There also is a paint on black pond sealer, I can't remember the name, but I've seen it listed on ebay.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Maybe this stuff? I've never tried it but thought I might keep a can on hand just in cse. The part that I like about it is that it holds but is flexible. Up here in the frozen north stuff heaves around a lot with temperature changes.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Try this one....

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

This is the paintable kind, used to make Ceramic or Wooden containers water-tight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

    You may upload up to 5 images