Will red tail hawks kill geese?

Eagle, ID

Hi,
I want to get a few geese, but we have red tailed hawks out here. Will the geese be too big for the hawks to kill? (When fully grown)
I am so frustrated with the hawks. Last year they killed all but 1 chicken. If anyone has any ideas or informaton I would be grateful.
I have had to keep the chickens in their coop and not let them wander over the property. Would I need to keep the geese contained too? If so would it be just at night or during the day also?
Thank you

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I have Red-Tailed Hawks around here and knock on wood so far they have left my poultry alone. I also have a pair of Roman Tufted Geese that are about 3 months old and I would have to say even at this age a Red-Tailed Hawk wouldn't be able to carry one off. Just the strength of the beating wings would probably give a hawk abit of trouble. I'm also lucky that I have a bunch of crows that chase off the hawks as well.

I lock all my livestock and poultry up at night. Just too many coyote, fox and fishercats around to keep anyone out.
Has anyone else had experience w/ geese and hawks?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

My neighbor has geese & chickens. I have chickens too & we've never had any problem with Red tailed hawks getting them. Now the darker colored hawks have been known to bother the chickens but once again never his geese & he has a very large wide open yard with few trees for cover for them.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We have geese, chickens, and red-tails. Our geese are white Chinese and Toulouse. Whenever we have pastured them away from the chickens we've had losses from the hawks; I think we've even had a Cooper's take a young chicken, and the red-tails will occasionally take a full-grown hen. But with the geese sharing the yard we don't seem to have that problem. The chickens are locked up at night but the geese are not. We do protect goslings until they get large enough to fend for themselves, but I think the adult geese would deter predation on those, as well.

Richmond, TX

I always wondered about keeping geese and chickens together; from what you say, it sounds like a winning proposition. Do you know of any disadvantages?

The only disadvantage is that in the summer the geese can do well just on pasture, but the laying hens need supplements, and there's no way to keep the geese from scarfing up the kibbles. For a while I was putting down a few sprinkles of kibble near the waterer and feeding the hens in another area of the pasture, but the geese finally figured that out. Still, it's better to spend a little more on the feed and not lose critters!

Richmond, TX

Will the geese become so fat that they are unhealthy if allowed free choice feed?

Omigosh, no! In fact, I like to pen them and feed them corn for a few weeks before we butcher them because they're so lean otherwise. I don't know that penning them helps a whole lot, but I figure it can't hurt.

Richmond, TX

I guess I was thinking of fois gras.

If you want foie gras you've got to catch your goose and stick a tube down his (or her) throat and stuff it with grains, or maybe they use a moistened mixture of something. It's called "gavage." No, we haven't tried doing it, but we've eaten foie gras and I have to say it's tasty. I can only hope that what I've tasted was produced in one of the kinder environments, which apparently do exist.

Richmond, TX

Hardly "free choice" feeding!

Not at all - or should I say, "Pas du tout!"

Eagle, ID

Well thank you everyone for your help. I just ordered 5 African Geese hatching eggs and am so excited.
For anyone willing, 1 more question... the chickens tend to scratch up everything including my flower beds, container plants ect... Will the geese eat the veggies in the garden or just the weeds? I read up that they like weeds, and leafy greens. Thought about planting some lettuce and others just for them. I was wondering though about how much damage I can expect in my flowers and gardens. We have a considerable grass hopper population and they could feast on those for months.
Thank you!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I watched an episode of F-Word w/ Gordon Ramsey a few weeks ago on Foie gras. The french will force feed the geese to get the liver very fatty while in spain it's free choice and free range. They did a taste test and everyone liked the French better. Personally, I'll pass!

We had geese in our garden for a while and they do make a bit of a mess. I was also not very impressed with them as weeders. Maybe someone else has a different experience, but if you like to keep your garden rows neat geese are probably not the answer!

French foie gras has a very buttery taste. There are more and less humane ways of achieving that result but it's still unnatural. I talked my granddaughter into trying some and she was indignant with me afterwards because she had to admit that it was good. We took her to France with us last year so she's getting very adventurous re cuisine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.