Crinum Species, Cape Lily, Coast Lily, Queensland Lily, St. Christopher Lily, Swamp Lily

Crinum jagus

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: jagus (JAG-us) (Info)
Synonym:Amaryllis jagus
Synonym:Crinum giganteum

Bulbs

Textured

Can be grown as an annual

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Flowers are good for cutting

Bloom Size:

Blooms all year

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From bulbils

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Anniston, Alabama

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Gordonville, Texas

On Sep 23, 2020, jacquelineemery from Hilton Head, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought 3 of these Crinum last Spring. I bought large (softball size = bloom-size bulbs). I was shocked when I unpacked them. Softball size is an understatement. The bulbs are HUGE. My husband was nice enough to help me dig the huge hole that they required. They started blooming in September of the same year, here in zone 8b.

I too selected this crinum for the attractive foliage. A lot of crinums I have seen look great when they are in bloom, but look a mess the rest of the year. This one does not. It produces a large rosette of upright leaves in a fresh green color. Think Dracaena Limelight, but longer and wider. They need quite a bit of room (1 foot plus).

The flower stalks are a sight to behold. Each carries multiple buds and they all open at the same ti... read more

On Jun 11, 2018, vossner from East Texas,
United States (Zone 8a) wrote:

I selected this crinum b/c I favor the stiff, upward growing foliage. Beautiful white blooms.

On Apr 9, 2018, Gyst from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This lily has grown well in 8b for several years and easily survived the harsh freezes of the 2017/18 winter. It blooms repeatedly throughout the year in partial shade, each flower ballooning out into a large white orb that splits to show oversized and fragile appearing pure white petals. It's bulbs divide regularly and are easy to spread around the garden. Individual leaves are long, straight, elegant and held erect.

On Oct 18, 2015, williamca from Plant City, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My bulbs have been in my garden over thirty years and reproduce by bulb offsets, no seeds or other methods. It is a beautiful carefree plant.

On May 20, 2009, revlar from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Crinum jagus readly produces viable seed .. we have sold and shipped them to buyers is the U.S., Australia and Africa. This is the species that a lot of the white varieties were hybrid from, unfortunately most hybrid crosses do not produce seed. They flower and look similar but the foliage of the species plant is a bit different .. they do not have the long sword shaped leaves ... they are shorter and wider with a bit of foliar pleating.

DonnaA2Z......Reports that her lily has not produced any seeds...apparently her lily is not Crinum jagus. Her lily is a hybrid .
Tried contacting her but apparently she is no longer a member..

On Oct 12, 2008, DonnaA2Z from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

The bloom is wonderfully delicate in appearance. It propagates itself by putting on offsets. I have had this plant for a few years now and have seen no sign of seed pods of any kind.