Dwarf Yucca, Spanish Bayonet, Harriman's Yucca

Yucca harrimaniae

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Yucca (YUK-uh) (Info)
Species: harrimaniae
Synonym:Yucca gilbertiana
Synonym:Yucca harrimaniae subsp. gilbertiana
Synonym:Yucca harrimaniae var. gilbertiana
Synonym:Yucca nana

Cactus and Succulents

Provides Winter Interest

Can be grown as an annual

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Cream/Tan

Lindon, Utah

Santaquin, Utah

South Jordan, Utah

On Sep 9, 2018, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Per Jan Emming of Destination:Forever Ranch and Gardens, a 40 acre desert botanical garden/sustainable living homestead in Arizona:
"Yucca nana is a beautiful, dwarf yucca that grows in eastern Utah and western Colorado on the sandstone substrates and in pinon-juniper forests of the Colorado Plateau. Mature rosettes are not more than around a foot in diameter (30 cm) and many are smaller than that. The common name is dwarf yucca, or doll-house yucca. Often single but also forming small clumps, Yucca nana is one of the loveliest of the yucca clan and it's surely among the smallest. (The specific epithet means "small" or "miniature".) There is some dispute about whether this plant can be justified to be a separate species, or whether it's a subspecies of the slightly larger Yucca harr... read more

On Nov 18, 2014, jimorgan from Montreal,

This plant survived the winter of 2013-2014 here in Montreal, QC unscathed. Very hardy, has been in the ground 2 winters but has not shown any sign of pups yet. It's growing near a south facing wall.

On Mar 17, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Purchased these from high country gardens a couple years ago . They like to spread and form small sharp porcupine like colonies . I purchased four now I have about a dozen . I am an organic gardener so I pull weeds manually and this is just sheer painful joy to weed around lol . The flowers seem out of scale with the plants also . The flowers look like a full size yucca but the plant itself is only around 10 or twelve inches high . Does not bloom every year but when it does wow !

On Apr 30, 2011, DJClemons from Vermilion, OH wrote:

I just bought a house from an amazing gardener in her 80's. She planted 6 Yucca harrimaniae on the property as small plants. They are now HUGE- about 2 1/2 feet tall spikes and I'm told the flowers will stand taller. I dug one up to give to a friend to find it was 4 seperate plants with an extensive bulbous root system. I now nothing about these plants. I do know they thrive here in northern Ohio and that is amazing. All I read is that it is a midwestern plant. I have been told they are valuable, which is why I dug one up to give to a friend. I plan on putting several rock gardens in the yard, so I will transplant some to those. Question: How do I move these without damaging the bulbs? It seems, as big as these are, I couldnt dig far enough from the plant without cutting a bulb.... read more

On Apr 16, 2008, peachespickett from Huntington, AR wrote:

This yucca has handled the wet, cold Arkansas winters and steamy summers very well.

On Jun 20, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

this is a common stemmless Yucca of the Rocky Mountain states that was, along with Yucca glauca, one of my least favorite plants in my youth- got stabbed by them all the time while hiking about the New Mexican mesas and canyons. Bayonet is a good description of this plant, and though I now find it somewhat ornamental, its pugnacity keeps me from giving it a 'thumbs up'.