Strobilanthes Species, Chinese Rain Bell, Pink Strobilanthes, Vein Leaf Acanthus

Strobilanthes cusia

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Strobilanthes (stroh-bil-AN-theez) (Info)
Species: cusia
Synonym:Strobilanthes balansae
Synonym:Strobilanthes flaccidus

Bloom Size:

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Boca Raton, Florida

Sorrento, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida

On Jan 27, 2018, brachychiton from Bribie Island,
Australia wrote:

I grow this lovely plant in my rainforest-style garden in South East Queensland, Australia (approx. Zone 10a - 11).

I've always loved the way it flowers in Winter. But, it's now flowering in mid-Summer as well!! Nothing has changed in relation to conditions, care etc.

I'm not complaining. In fact I'm pleased, but am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

On Oct 15, 2014, Kilat from Townsville,
Australia (Zone 11) wrote:

One of my favourite plants - so easy to grow and propogate! Mine is well over the 4' tall indicated in the PlantFile. It was 1' tall when I planted it 4 months ago. Now it's already 5' tall, looks headed higher still.

On Jul 14, 2010, FLStu from Effingham, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This one has grown for the past two years here in an area next to the lanai and pool, facing north. We have had two of our coldest winters on record, the last one with 16 F recorded. The plant has survived though it has never been covered.

On Aug 9, 2006, bocagardener from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

I have this plant growing in a garden on the edge of a golf course. The plant is now 5-6' tall and at least 4' wide. It gets watered almost daily by the golf course sprinklers and blooms with hundreds of flowers several times yearly.

On Jul 27, 2006, sanfelasco from Gainesville, FL wrote:

Grew well in high shifting pine shade in Gainesville FL - took and rooted many cuttings from the plant under mist propagation - long-lasting attractive blooms - covered with a sheet during hard freezes, and has easily survived the last three winters here in 8b - grew to 3' tall by 3.5' wide by mid-summer with occasional pruning for shaping

On May 3, 2006, sybmar from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I bought this plant on April 29, 2006 at the Palm Beach Mounts Tropical Gardens Plant Show. I have placed it into a filtered sun location but it is still in the original pot. I also bought a Grewia Caffra, a double Quisqualis, a Nyctanthus Arbor-tristis and a Cubanola.
Do any of these plants require acidic fertilizer? I would greatly welcome any information, also on placement: Sun? Shade or filtered sun? After hurricane Wilma I do not have much shade left because I lost five beautiful shade trees which protected my yard from the blistering afternoon sun.