Angelica, Ground Ash, Holy Ghost, Wild Angelica, Woodland Angelica 'Purpurea'

Angelica sylvestris

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Angelica (an-JEL-ee-kuh) (Info)
Species: sylvestris (sil-VESS-triss) (Info)
Cultivar: Purpurea
Additional cultivar information:(aka Vicar's Mead)

Burgundy/Maroon

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Can be grown as an annual

Lavender

Bloom Size:

This plant is monocarpic

Arroyo Grande, California

Brentwood, California

Mill Valley, California

Richmond, California

On Aug 1, 2018, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got mine from Annie's Annuals. I planted it in a half barrel so the gophers wouldn't have their way with it. It grew to about 3 foot tall and then bloomed. It had numerous stems and blooms and the purple foliage is lovely. Can't wait to see if it self sows next year although I have collected a bit of the seed to try germination testing on. Maybe I'll get more height by growing from seed early in the season.

On Nov 19, 2016, pb1234 from Mill Valley, CA wrote:

A Favorite plant. When this is in bloom it is worth the wait. it is spectacular.
I have planted this a few times now in different gardens and growing conditions. Very easy -I had amended clay, some drought, competitive tree roots and it performed beautifully.
This is a biennial: the first year you will have some leaves, and it may well go dormant and disappear during the winter. The first year the leaves may look straggly.
The second year is when the magic happens. The tall stem produces a beautiful wine colored stalk with flat topped umbel. Our towered over 12 feet. Love the way it looks.
Last time I planted just one in front of a similarly colored plum tree. This time I have planted a whole mass of them against the pale sage color of the house for contrast. ... read more

On Apr 18, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is a hardy biennial, not a perennial.

On Jul 10, 2012, Loretta_NJ from Pequannock, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got mine from Annie's Annuals. The leaves would look healthy one day and be full of spots the next. Then the leaf would die off. At first it seemed like it would outgrow it as it kept sending out new healthy growth but eventually the leaf spot took over the stem. The root is still alive but the crown is dead. Not sure if it will ever grow again. It seemed to be most affected after a rain but I would have had to observe it longer to be sure of that and I might not have that chance now.
Otherwise, the new growth was a nice deep color. Older leaves showed green. The leaves were much lacier and smaller than angelica gigas which does very well for me.

On Mar 17, 2011, brioche from Richmond, CA wrote:

Although my Angelica Stricta was planted 2 yrs ago - it never bloomed and became quite invasive. Hard to get it out - very string roots. It would be OK - if you have unlimited space and patience.