Red Wing

Heteropterys glabra

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Heteropterys (het-er-OP-ter-iss) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)

Smooth

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Anniston, Alabama

Chapin, South Carolina

Lake Jackson, Texas

Mansfield, Texas

Plano, Texas

On Jul 6, 2021, Charlesinsc from Chapin, SC wrote:

This is an unusual plant. It is very thin. It is not invasive. I have moved one from a pot where it survived semi-neglect to a dry area of yard. Mine needs more moisture but it survives. It would do much better on a trellis & I plan to add that & try to judiciously prune to make it more dense. Very interesting when it flowers but I need to get more of them. I'm in Zone 8a.

On Dec 25, 2020, Cocobalanga from Viviers,
France (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow it since 2006 et I never had some problems with frost 12F and dry weather . Very striking fruits like red Mapple fruit

On Sep 19, 2009, smallfriar from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I had wanted this plant for some time after seeing one growing in South Texas, but wasn't sure if it would be cold hardy. A gardener friend in Austin offered me a seedling she had grown this spring, and it is now a foot tall and ready to be planted out. She also sent me seed, which have sprouted, and I'm hoping can be put out next spring. I found that there's a smallish Red Wing growing in the Fort Worth Botanic Gardens, so I'm hoping mine will do well here in North Texas.

On Sep 7, 2009, tacm from Mansfield, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this plant for 2 years and LOVE it! It's pretty much evergreen for me. I grow it in part shade.....gets light but not much sun. It has survived on rain and whatever water it gets from my neighbor's watering run off. It has the most interesting flowers. Haven't had any problems with it popping up anywhere else.
It's been used to trail up a fence, but am going to try to prune it back and let it get alittle more dense. I am considering using it to replace my crossvine that has become a nusance.
Purchased it from a local nursery, but haven't seen it anywhere else