Pleroma Species, Glory Bush, Glory Tree, Chorao

Pleroma granulosum

Family: Melastomataceae
Genus: Pleroma
Species: granulosum (gran-yoo-LOW-sum) (Info)
Synonym:Pleroma granulosa

West Palm Beach, Florida

Galveston, Texas

positive

On May 24, 2017, Summernole from Merritt Island, FL wrote:

I planted a young granulosa one year ago in June. My plant is now about 3' x 3'. I live in east central Florida (Zone 9). It looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm wondering if it takes years to bloom or can I expect to see flowers at some point this year? I read on the University of Florida website that they are for zones 10b and 11 so I was glad to hear they are growing in Jacksonville. Anyway, how long before I can expect to see blooms?

On Sep 20, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is the best Tibouchina for landscape use in south Florida, and one of the best landscape shrubs. Very long-blooming, almost year round, and profuse.

This shrub can be trained as a small tree. Also makes a great espalier. However, it only gets 10-15' tall, at most 20' with skilled pruning.

On Jul 20, 2007, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant grows in The Range of the Jaguar exhibit area of the Jacksonville, Florida Zoo and Gardens. T. granulosa can be distinguished from other Tibouchinas by the grainy texture on the underside of the leaves.

08/04/2008 update: I have now been growing T. granulosa in my home garden for about one year, along with three other Tibouchina species (T. urvilleana, grandiflora, and heteromalla). T. granulosa seems to be the most cold hardy. It showed little damage from winter temperatures that went as low as about 28 F on several nights for several hours, whereas the other three Tibouchina species had significant freeze back (but recovered in spring). T. granulosa also seems to be the easiest to grow in my climate, tolerating hot and humid temperatures, and periods of dro... read more