Fargesia, Hardy Bamboo 'Green Panda'

Fargesia rufa

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fargesia (far-GHEE-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: rufa (ROO-fuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Panda

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Partial to Full Shade

Smooth

Provides Winter Interest

USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8 °C (-20 °F)

Can be grown as an annual

Bloom Size:

Galesburg, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan

Garden City, New York

New York City, New York

Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)

Sumter, South Carolina

On Jun 23, 2018, dbarron from Hindsville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

I ordered a tiny (1 1/2 inch pot) start of Green Panda in December from a Florida nursery that specializes in starter size plants. That was 2013 I believe. I wintered it over indoors from December till mid April, when it was planted outside and was 2-3 times the size it was in December.
Now, four years later, it's about 5 feet high (will probably reach maximum height in a year or two) and about the same in width.
I've grown it in mostly shade, with only a couple of hours of morning sunshine in the summer (shaded by deciduous trees and my house). In the winter it gets nearly half day sun. It's very full. The stalks billow out in 'fluffy' manner.
I didn't know how it would tolerate our summer heat and humidity, but it seems fine. I've only watered it once or twice ... read more

On Dec 10, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Green Panda is a trademark for the species Fargesia rufa AKA F. sp. 'Rufa'.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia rufa Green Panda.htm

On May 17, 2012, aumigod from Montréal,

Planted this beauty outside three years ago, here in Montréal, Québec. Bought it in a 10-inch pot.

It's now 3-4' high and about as wide. This year's new shoots are a good foot higher, already (mid-May). Some browning of leaf-tips appeared over winter. Hoping they'll just magically vanish...

On Dec 25, 2010, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

it's a non invasive clumping bamboo, which makes me love it all the more. it's hardy from zone 5-9 but here in zone 8 i have to protect it from afternoon sun or it starts to croak . i water it at least every other day, since we've had bad droughts the past 2 summers.i highly recommend ( not so much for greenhorn beginners though because as someone said above, you have to be able to "read" what it's needs are))

On Apr 24, 2009, reg767 from Garden City, NY wrote:

We will be planting several 4' pots on April 25, 2009, using them mainly as screens. We hope for fast growth and a height of 7' or more from ground level. How wide do they get (clumping bamboo)? I have a cedar lattice - how far from the cedar lattice screen should I plant them? Thanks - I'll advise results in mid-summer. (We are on Long Island, NY - close suburb to NYC)

On Nov 14, 2007, ltalent from New York, NY wrote:

This plant has grown almost two feet since we planted it in containers in June. I have not seen a lot of discussion on care so here is what I've found out. If leaves curl lengthwise, it's thirsty. Brown tips, too much water. We are partial shade with lots of ambient light and it's been beautifully lush and green. It needs some space in front to accomodate its fountain shape. Great bamboo rustling sound and it was still pushing out culms in October. Now in November it's yellowing but we've had lots of rain. I would love to hear from anyone else who has gotten it through the winter.

UPDATE Spring 2010: New culms are around 5.5 feet high. Bamboo has wintered well without exception. Does need to be brushed off in heavy snow. I water mine just a cup or two of cold water in Januar... read more