Peperomia Species, American Rubber Plant, Baby Rubber Plant, Blunt Leaf Peperomia, Pepper Face Plant

Peperomia obtusifolia

Family: Piperaceae
Genus: Peperomia (pep-er-ROH-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: obtusifolia (ob-too-sih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Groundcovers

Partial to Full Shade

Textured

Can be grown as an annual

Pale Green

Lake Panasoffkee, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Longwood, Florida

Loxahatchee, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida (2 reports)

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Townsend, Georgia

Newport, Maine

Bayside, Texas

Kyle, Texas

On Jan 25, 2015, Rutlandite from Newport, ME (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am in a garden group, in Newport, Maine. Someone had donated a bunch of plants to us. This little baby was one of them. I love it! :) Several of us took cuttings & had sold a few. Very easy to care for. I, myself, am very happy with it & am enjoying collecting odd plants that I have never had before. :)

On Dec 19, 2009, James2nd from Longwood, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I acquired this plant in 2001 as a hanging plant. It has been divided three times due to over growth in pot. Having no idea until recently what kind of plant it was I just treated it as a hanging plant, locating it in partial shade and partial filtered light on the South side of a second story balcony. In the winter it gets covered only when the temperature goes below 35 degrees. I have seen some browning of the tips of the leaves in cold weather but for the most part the plant shows no other signs damage. In the hot Florida weather I put about 16 oz of water on it each morning and it responds well to that.

On Jul 10, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

A South Florida native, but the ones in cultivation are from elsewhere. Still, mine does really well, outgrowing and outshining all the other Peperomias I have (that probably want richer soil). This species, for me, gets cold damage (brown spots on the leaves) whenever it gets 45*F or so, maybe even at 50*F, even though they're in a somewhat protected space. They usually drop those leaves and recover quickly, but different clones might not have the same problem.

On Oct 5, 2006, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a great houseplant for low light. Never wilts, not fussy, grows slowly but steadily. Easy to root cuttings.