Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Pin Cushion Plant, Coral Bead Plant, Baby Tears

Nertera granadensis

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Nertera (NER-ter-uh) (Info)
Species: granadensis (gran-uh-DEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Nertera depressa

Groundcovers

Smooth

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Bloom Size:

Calabasas, California

Dunellen, New Jersey

Cottage Grove, Oregon

San Antonio, Texas(2 reports)

On Jan 28, 2009, nursiedear from Cleveland, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have had several of these plants but seemed to kill them by watering them from above. Now I know to water them from the bottom and keep them moist. I have never had one form the berries and hope to keep this one alive long enough to see them.

On Dec 20, 2006, sylhuynh from Calabasas, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have this little plant for only 5 weeks, it look like it is getting fuller the pot is small for it, a soon it warm a little I will put it outside. I bought my at the 99 cents store.
What I read in your file will help to keep it alive foe long time I hope!

Sylvia huynh

On Sep 30, 2006, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nertera granadensis is native to New Zealand and Tasmania. It can be found growing in moist, boggy areas. It produces an numerous tiny reddish orange berries just in time for Halloween. Plant it rich, loamy soil and give a half strength dose of a good all purpose fertilizer in early spring and mid-summer. The pin cushion plant prefers spending the summer months outside in a sunny location. In cooler regions, it must be moved indoors before the temperature drops below 55 degrees F and kept in a sunny location with a room temperature of 65-70 degrees. During the winter when active growth ceases, watering should be cut back. Do not allow it to stand in water.

On Sep 1, 2006, Angel_D from Quincy, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just bought this plant at Home Depot, it was so cute (the berries especially) I couldn't resist it! I gave it a neutral rating because I've only owned it for a few hours. :)

A unique, long-lasting accent, prized for its multitude of vibrantly colored small berries.

Water - keep potting mix uniformly moist. Do not allow plants to dry out.

Light - In direct bright light indoors. Light shade outdoors.

Temperature - optimal indoor temperature 60-75 degrees. Will tolerate temps down to 30 degrees.

Continuing care - berries will last for several months. Place outdoors as a ground cover or rock garden plant. Keep from frost.

Fertilizer - fertilize twice during the warm season with a bala... read more

On Oct 3, 2005, verdant0green from (Zone 9a) wrote:

As to where to find this plant, they typically sell them as Halloween novelties in stores such as Walmart.

On May 24, 2005, cmwhets3 from Winona, MN wrote:

I would like to start them in several of my topiary forms...this is a hard plant to find.

On Aug 6, 2003, sadi wrote:

I picked up one of these cute little plants when I saw it in a gardening shop. I have had a great experience with it....I have a hard ime keeping plants alive and this one has stayed with me and looks great still (two months later). They told me to water it from the bottom.....so I just put it in a shallow bowl of water every once in a while. Everyone comments on it.

On Aug 6, 2002, deb101 wrote:

The is a very unique plant. The foliage is similiar in appearance to bean sprouts (very small double leaves)and it bears a small (tiny acutally) orange/red fruit which looks like tiny tomatoes.

I have had this plant for a couple of weeks in the container which it was purchased and it has really grown.

I am keeping it well watered and in indirect light. I sat it in the window one day and this caused the fruit to start shriveling.