Croton 'Gold Dust'

Codiaeum variegatum

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Codiaeum (koh-dih-EE-um) (Info)
Species: variegatum (var-ee-GAY-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Dust

Good Fall Color

Smooth

Veined

Provides Winter Interest

Chartreuse/Yellow

Can be grown as an annual

Bloom Size:

Pensacola, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

On Mar 26, 2019, MinxFox from Pensacola, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love my gold dust plant and I just learned that supposedly I'm not supposed to be able to grow it here in zone 8!? I saw this plant grown as a large bush at the neighbors house as well as another person's house a few neighborhoods away. I bought this plant several years ago and now it is a tall, somewhat narrow bush. I guess it is a bit tree-like rather than the wide bush looking one I saw next door.

I noticed that sometimes one of the side branches will turn black and shrivel up and die. I used to think it was just a finicky plant, but now I'm guessing that was cold damage!

This plant is underneath a large oak tree and when it was first planted, there were no other plants surrounding it for protection but now I have an evergreen and some rice paper plants ... read more

On Jul 23, 2011, islandgirl37 from Marathon, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

One of the easiest plants to grow in South Florida. They require water every 2-3 days for the first month or so after planting them, after that, I just leave them alone. I have them in full or partial sun. In deep shade they will lose all variegation. Home Depot always has them and they are 7.99-8.99 for big ones in a 3 gallon pot.

I had a semi circle hedge with these, planted around 2 Buccaneer Palms 10' from the open Atlantic Ocean. They can take salt air, salt spay and even some salt water violation of their roots. At one time during a little tropical storm, at high tide and with a South wind, their roots were under salt water for about an hour. They looked horrible, all the leaves fell off, I cut them back, flushed the soil and within 1-2 weeks leaves sprouting all over ... read more