Adenium, Desert Rose 'Star Of Top'

Adenium obesum

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Adenium (a-DEE-nee-um) (Info)
Species: obesum (oh-BEE-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Star Of Top

Good Fall Color

This plant is resistant to deer

Bloom Size:

Concord, California

Hayward, California

Los Angeles, California

Winter Springs, Florida

Marion, North Carolina

On Jun 24, 2015, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had this plant potted in a clay flower pot for four years now. I throw a handful of fertilizer on it in the early spring and for the most part let the rain water it. Mine does seem to drop the leaves in late winter, almost completely before growing new spring growth and flowering. Usually this is after we've had some really cold nights, and of course if we dip to 30's I take the pot into the garage for protection. I've found that this is common among other FL gardeners, so I don't worry about it now, figuring it is normal. Mine gets good morning to afternoon sun, then shaded the hottest part of the day, and more sun in the later evening.

On Jun 5, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I bought this plant at a Home Depot of all places in the summer of 2007. It has vastly outgrown in size any other Adenium I have ever tried in such a short period of time. From a nice 6" plant to a now,21"..that includes the usual stop in growth due to pests that hit indoor Desert Roses from time to time. Nobodys perfect, and sooner or later they get away from you."Star of Top" (strange phrasing) has glossy leaves,a form that does need corrective pruning to keep from getting gangly,and is a great flowerer you can count on as reliable.
I would recommend you use plastic pots as it doesnt seem to need a dry period and the plastic pots keep the soil evenly moist better than clay.
It has to be one of the better Adeniums for beginners.

On May 27, 2008, sboon11 from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

This is my first time to grow desert rose from the seeds. I collected the seed from Thailand. I planted the seeds 70 out of one hundreds were successfully grown. I placed the seeds in the portable pot and placed it in the shed until the seeds start to grow up from the ground and place it into the sun. The good time to grown the seed of the year should start it in April.