It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Passiflora, Passion Flower, Passion Vine 'Sherry'

Passiflora

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sherry
Additional cultivar information:(Darkhorse Series)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Ocala, Florida

positive
negative

On Feb 19, 2011, zaksmom1 from Ocala, FL wrote:

I obtained this plant at a local nursery. Had it for about 8 years. After attending a butterfly seminar I planted a blue passion vine on the other side of the fence. Nothing kills these vines. They can cover everything in sight if you don't keep a close eye on them. I have a crepe nearby and have to constantly cut tendrils off. I love the beautiful red color.

On Feb 17, 2011, polsnickerty from Dickinson, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I also ordered Passiflora Sherry from Wayside Gardens. The first year, the order was never delivered, so I canceled it for a credit voucher. The second year I ordered, it was delivered, but it promptly died within a week. Of course when I notified Wayside, there was no more available. Again I was sent a credit voucher. I have severely cut back ordering from Wayside due to many disappointments.

On Oct 7, 2010, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Update 9/22/2011:

I feel I must downgrade my Rating from Positive to Neutral. The reason is that this cultivar after it's first winter has proven to be much less hardy than claimed. Despite growing in a pot and moving indoors during all nights that fell below 40 degrees, the plant died back (in stages) to the soil line and only started growing new shoots in June. As a result it only reached blooming size within a week of when it was purchased as a cutting (from Wayside Gardens), in late September.

OTOH, the flowers are simply stunning--easily the best true red Passion Flower I have either grown or even seen. As such I intend to give it all the attention I can to try and keep it alive.

*************************************************