Lagurus Species, Bunny Tails, Hare's Tail Grass

Lagurus ovatus

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagurus (lag-ur-uss) (Info)
Species: ovatus (oh-VAY-tus) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Cream/Tan

Inconspicuous/none

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Bloom Size:

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Menifee, California

Keller, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On Jun 20, 2018, sandrajune from Bohemia, NY wrote:

I LOVE my bunny tails. The problem: after three years of wonderful perfect specimens, the three plants I have came up this year half the size and already starting to get brown blades (like they would in the fall). WHAT IS WRONG? I haven't changed anything! They have the same sunlight and the same irrigation.

On Jan 30, 2017, carrie9 from Mount Prospect, IL wrote:

I am in zone 5 (near Chicago, IL) and have had Bunny Tails growing for 6 years or more. The plant has been perennial in my zone, the clump I grew from seed has survived and just keeps getting bigger. It has never been invasive. Strange that it is perennial for me in my zone, but listed as an annual. I am growing it in a morning sun only area. Great little grass with delightful "bunny tails" in the fall.

On Oct 30, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I've occasionally encountered this as a summer annual weed here in Boston Z6a. Self-sows easily, but not a particularly problematic weed. Seems to like low-fertility soils.

On Jun 14, 2012, TheLoveofFlowers from Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I love the fluffy seed heads but the plant they grow on looked kind of messy in our containers. The stems got easily broken in the wind. I planted it one year by seed (starting really early). The grass went to seed early too. Oddly this thing reseeded itself and I got volunteers inside the container the following year. (in a zone 4 garden with the container kept in an unheated garage during the winter). I have not tried to plant it in the ground.

On Apr 6, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

They are a fun plant (grass), they animate the garden with movement.
To my knowledge they are considered annuals here in NY and are relatively inexpensive.

On Mar 1, 2007, grannymarsh from Marquette, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have successfully winter sowed this plant. For me, success has been better when I plant the entire seed head, the whole 'bunnytail', rather than picking it apart. Or just sow the seed wherever you wish to have it in the garden. Drought tolerant, and easy to grow. The rabbits/deer here do not seem to like it. Nice fall color, a golden straw tone. Have not had a problem with it self sowing.

On Jun 21, 2002, moscheuto from Westland, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bunny Tails are a fun plant to grow. I use them to fill in empty spots around the yard, also good for containers and borders. Non-invasive, has yet to re-seed itself. I usually start new plants from seed, the seed I have is over seven years old, and it still germinates sucessfully without additional steps. Throw some seed in a pot, water and forget it. The 'tails' emerge from transplant in about 4 weeks, sometimes faster, depending on growing conditions. I can get two seperate plantings a year, just as soon as the first bunch gets planted, start more seed for the second bunch. I think this year, I'll save some new seed.

On Aug 31, 2001, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote: