It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Elephant Foot Yam, Peony Leaf Voodoo Lily, Voodoo Lily, White Spot Giant Arum

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amorphophallus (a-mor-fo-FAL-us) (Info)
Species: paeoniifolius (pay-oh-nee-FOH-lee-us) (Info)

Ferns

Winter Haven, Florida

positive
negative

On Jul 16, 2017, MrsHerrick from North Fort Myers, FL wrote:

Hi all! I'm not really much of a gardener, just a curious lady who's got this crazy plant she's never seen before in her life growing outside her front window! As I've read, both on the internet and here, I think that this may be one of the White Spot Giant Arum. The few pictures that I've seen resemble it very much. And the descriptions of the smell that the flower emitted are right on!! It nearly made me barf! But I just couldn't believe something so cool looking came from what looked like a dinosaur egg that popped up out of the ground without warning!! But now of course that flower (I've figured out it was a female) is decaying and it's been replaced by all these little tree looking plants and right from where the flower/egg came up now looks like a huge bulls penis popping out of the ... read more

On Jul 22, 2009, cheerpeople from northwest, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Unlike easy amorphs like konjac and muelleri, this one did not survive overwintering indoors for me. In zone 5 for a successful large amorph I'd recommend konjac instead.

On Jul 10, 2009, timrann from Other,
Mauritius wrote:

This variety is very popular in Mauritius, the plants can reach 2 m or more in height. The trunk is bright green and greyish . The flower is small not as impressssive as other Amorphophallus. The roots are edible and can get to 5-8 kgs. Inside the big root- bulb is orange in colour (like pumpkin). It is also irritant must wear gloves to peel the bulb , also the green leaves and the trunks are very irritant. It must be dried in the sun for a while and be boiled to make it edible. Even if seem so difficult to deal with this bulb it is a very delicate "gourmet" here, especially when prepared as pickles.