Brassica, Broccoli 'Blue Wind'

Brassica oleracea

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: oleracea (awl-lur-RAY-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Wind

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Kenai, Alaska

Augusta, Georgia

On Mar 10, 2021, AKEarthMother from Kenai, AK wrote:

I have grown Blue Wind Broccoli for about ten years in south-central Alaska. It is a very reliable plant up here, with excellent, tightly beaded and mounded initial heads and lots and lots and lots of side growth after the main head is cut. The first flush or two of side heads are nearly as big as the main one, if the plant is not crowded. The rest are about an inch to two inches across. My restaurant customers loved the side heads, which are easy to prepare for serving without having to cut them.

Unfortunately, I can't find seeds for this variety this year (2021). I am really, really disappointed. I don't know if the crop failed or if this variety has just been discontinued.If anyone knows, I'd be delighted if you could share that information.

On Mar 25, 2009, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 49 day hybrid described by Johnny's; "Heads are medium sized, blue green with small, attractive beads. Compared to Packman, Blue Wind is a day earlier, much more attractive, a little easier to harvest and more uniform. Suitable for spring and summer sowings. " It performs well here and is early. I prefer Galleon, Superdome, Early Dividend and Everest in this time slot. This one is not up to standards of size and appearance of those. A bit better than Packman tho, No head browning yet. Addendum, as weather warms, Blue Winds does show some head browning like Packman.