It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Pink Bower Vine 'Rosa Superba'

Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosa Superba

Blooms all year

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Buckeye, Arizona

Mission Viejo, California

Ramona, California

positive

On Sep 4, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This semitropical species is a large, fast-growing climber that can reach 40' tall if planted in the ground in a frost-free climate. It performs much better with its roots in the ground than it will in pots. Stems will self-layer where they touch the ground.

This is commonly called "bower vine", but it isn't called "jasmine". I don't find it fragrant, and I suspect the references to its fragrance that I find in online descriptions come from the Latin 'jasminoides' and not from anyone's nasal experience.

This Australian native plant is xeric. It needs regular moisture till well established, but then it is very tolerant of drought. Taprooted. Suitable for xeriscaping. Don't over-water, especially in winter. Tolerates hard pruning in early spring.

On May 14, 2010, jackiescompost from Mission Viejo, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I first asked about this plant over a year ago in the seed germination forum here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962098/ . I love this vine!! I tried to find it in all the local nurseries and home improvement centers and only was able to find it this year. It has been difficult to identify this vine because it was sold under the same name as similar vines but not the exact vine/exact color and it was the color I was after... a rosey violet. Other vines did not have as much color as this vine. I ended up growing plants from cuttings last year which have so far done well but not produced flowers. This year, I finally found four 2-gallon pots of the exact vine at the Green Thumb nursery under the ... read more