Grandiflora Rose 'Twilight Zone'

Rosa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Twilight Zone
Additional cultivar information:(aka WEKebbtidre, Wekebtidere)
Hybridized by Carruth
Registered or introduced: 2011

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Double

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Habit:

Bush

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Echo, Louisiana

Roslindale, Massachusetts

Charlotte, North Carolina

On Aug 15, 2017, kingxmasgrinch from Jefferson, GA wrote:

I live near Atlanta, GA, so we have very hot summers. Knowing this rose does not like heat, I planted it in a mostly dapple sun/shaded area. We have clay-type soil, so I add sand and lime and all kinds of things to my soil to help my roses along. The first year I planted this rose, it did not grow much, but the big purple, highly fragrant blooms that I did get, were well worth it! Now move on to year 2. Every bloom from year two on, have been pink. They are still big and beautiful, but not purple at all. VERY pink. Almost light pink. And the fragrance is not as strong. I am on year four...and I have never seen a purple bloom since the first year.

On Dec 28, 2016, rossbynum from Houston, TX wrote:

A healthy plant with a great fragrance, Twilight Zone does NOT like temps in the 90's. The flowers get crispy and crunchy, so the bush just shuts down here in Houston in the summer. Our summers are harsh on almost all roses, but I don't have another rose out of my 40+ that burns like Twilight Zone. Also, the color changes a lot depending on the temps. Sometimes it takes on a more magenta (which I've seen more of) than the advertised deep, velvety purple.

On Sep 5, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This rose is generally considered hardy from Z5-9 in eastern North America.

On Sep 4, 2014, Dorchid from Fresno, CA wrote:

I planted this bare root in January, and it has taken off. Fantastic addition to the rose garden! It started blooming after just a few months in nice clusters, and it's been going pretty consistently, with decent color, despite a scorchingly-hot and dry summer. The scent is spicy and intoxicating--I love it! So far it's been a vigorous grower (medium-tall and bushy), disease-resistant (can't say that for all of my roses), heat-tolerant, and a prolific bloomer. Two thumbs up!

On May 25, 2013, yogamama from Crystal Lake, IL wrote:

This is my first year with Twilight Zone and I am very impressed. It's blooms are strong, deep color, and so very fragrant. It has bunches of blooms and keeps making more beautiful flowers. I live in the Chicago area so I had to amend our clay "soil" and the rose is thriving. It has yet to get through one of our winters, but I am confident with proper care it will thrive. I believe the hybridization that was done gave this rose the hardiness and beauty which I see today. Ebb Tide was one of the parents.

On Apr 23, 2013, wasbloomin from Echo, LA wrote:

Just planted this rose this spring. It is doing very nicely. Already putting out big fat very fragrant blooms. The color is not as deeply purple as pictured in ads, but is close. I have it planted next to a Julia Child. The combination is stunning.