There's just a couple of days left to enter the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can enter!

Currant Tomato, Wild Tomato 'Texas Wild'

Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: pimpinellifolium (pim-pi-nel-ih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Texas Wild

Leaf Type:

Regular Leaf

Spicewood, Texas

On Nov 21, 2015, shule from New Plymouth, ID wrote:

I read great things about this tomato. So, I was excited to get free seeds from wintersown.org in the fall of 2014. I grew them for the 2015 season. Here is my analysis:

Taste was reasonably good. They were about marble-sized. They were red, and round.

I was expecting the plant to be heat-tolerant, but it didn't set fruit in the extreme heat. So, I'm thinking it wasn't; however, it is possible that it was just kind of a late tomato, for such a small one. I didn't get the impression by its growth habit that it was a wild variety. It didn't seem to do any better in dry, hot conditions than most of the other tomatoes. However, it did need more nitrogen, considering there were bits of wood in the ground where it was. So, it may have done a lot better if I had give... read more

On May 13, 2008, rbrabbit from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

WOW! This plant is so vigorous that I was sure that my neighbor across the street was going to be harvesting tomatoes from MY plant. I planted this thing in a pot but I am sure that the roots have broken through. The note on this plant is that they are difficult to germinate but I have 6 others already going. Terrific yield, terrific taste, I am running out of tomato recipes.

On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Wonderfully sweet little tomato. I frequently pick and eat them while I'm working in the garden. HEAVY yields. Does reseed in my zone 8 garden.