Hybrid Musk, Shrub Rose 'Penelope'

Rosa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Penelope

Avoid pruning

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

By budding

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Rock Tavern, New York

Iredell, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

On May 8, 2008, roybird from Santa Fe, NM wrote:

My Penelope only blooms one time in late spring. It is almost always my earliest bloomer. Very delicate colors and sweet scent make up for the sprawling habits. This rose probably shouldn't be in my zone but does quite well! No problems with diseases.

On Apr 24, 2008, littlebrook15 from Rock Tavern, NY wrote:

I really thought I'd be knocked out by the color on this rose, but it's just ok. The growth habit is really awkward on it. I am going to grow a rambler next to it (and kind of through it) to help cover up the fact that it's "splayed" itself out in the garden. It did overwinter very well, though, and it does seem to grow pretty quickly.

On Apr 19, 2008, GingerGaia from West Monroe, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this rose so much I named my puppy after it. I have 3 in a semi circle that just get better every year. Mine are fragrant peach fading white with good disease resitance. They do get very large at least 6 ' tall and mine are about 7-8 'wide or more. Did well in part shade at my last garden as well.

On Jan 17, 2005, BlueMaypop from Laytonsville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Lovely, strong fragrance on a large shrub. The color is a peach fading to ivory. It may not survive a very harsh winter without protection.

On Feb 24, 2004, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

I have six of these wonderful antique roses planted as a hedge and it is spectacular! They are covered with beautiful and fragrant flowers in the spring and early summer and rebloom periodically after that. I have not had that much trouble with black spot - they have been very disease free in my location - central Texas (zone 8).

On Feb 23, 2004, rebeccasgarden from Duvall, WA (Zone 8B) wrote:

I'm torn between a neutral and positive response on Penelope. Each year I say I'm going to dig it up and each year it blooms I'm so taken by it that I don't have the heart.

In the early part of the season (in the northwest) when she starts to bloom and it's still cool outside the colors are like a soft, pastel sunset of pink and yellow and they're a simple kind of beautiful. The buds are a peachy rose and contrast beautifully with the open blooms. As it gets hotter the colors wash out to almost white and the blooms are shorter lived.

The leaves also start out healthy and gorgeous only to eventually succumb to blackspot and fall - just about every last one - off the bush (that's when I start saying I'm going to dig it up).

The early blossoms ar... read more

On Sep 7, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Penelope has a fairly awkward growth habit; its fragrance more than makes up for that, though.