Acrostichum Species, Coastal Leather Fern, Golden Leather Fern, Heart Fern, Mangrove Fern

Acrostichum aureum

Family: Pteridaceae
Genus: Acrostichum (ak-ro-STISH-um) (Info)
Species: aureum (AW-re-um) (Info)

Ferns

Partial to Full Shade

Smooth

Textured

Inconspicuous/none

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boynton Beach, Florida

Zachary, Louisiana

Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

Chandler, Texas

Shepherd, Texas

negative

On May 4, 2020, HoustonPat from Houston, TX wrote:

Acrostichum grows in various water gardens around Houston. Mercer Garden has it growing in the ground, nowhere near visible water. I finally found a good sized one for sale at Nelson's for $10. I will try growing it in the sun. Moving from a jammed 1qt pot to a gallon tomorrow. I'm setting it in a ceramic pot with an inch or so of fresh water in the bottom. I expect it will do well, though I will likely have to take it in during winter cold snaps or take it to a friend's greenhouse with some other ferns over the winter.

On Dec 13, 2013, johy_margi from san salvador,
El Salvador wrote:

PROPAGATION : I have propagated them by sowing the new little leaf that grows on top of the old leaf with good results.

On Jan 11, 2013, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant will only thrive outdoors in Zone 10 or higher. It will do well in low light, but needs high humidity in order to survive. I had mine in the kitchen window and it was failing, but it is now in a terrarium with nearly 100% humidity and doing well.

On Jun 13, 2010, dhart74 from Zachary, LA wrote:

I have had this plant since early spring 2010. It is making small plantlets at the point where the stem joins the leaf. Can I propagate from these? I am borderline zones 8 & 9 so I will keep it potted and sheltered.

On May 29, 2008, danpv from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I love ferns and can generally grow them well but in past years I have killed two of these cuties.

Still not sure what I did wrong, but next time I see one of these at a nursery, I will try again - not to kill it, but growing one to large size must be quite a sight.

On Mar 24, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have tried growing this fern outdoors twice here in zone 9b, and failed both times. Soon after planting the fern wilts and dies, probably because it requires much higher humidity than is available here. (It is sold as a terrarium plant).

Native to Sri Lanka.

On Aug 23, 2004, vossner from East Texas,
United States (Zone 8a) wrote:

When I saw this plant at the nursery, I just HAD to have it. So unusual. Planted outside in shady area. Protect from bright light as it will burn leaves; otherwise, pretty trouble free. It needs consistently moist soil.

I have rated positive b/c its a gorgeous plant but it s/b rated neutral b/c not the easiest plant to grow. Not easily available either.

Iv had the best success growing in a terrarium. But on 5/21 in growing in a no drain container as a covered patio plant. I will have to closely monitor moisture level since using a no drain container. It is a hassle but its beauty justifies the trouble IMO

On Aug 26, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very unusual tropical fern: the leaves are small heart within a larger heart. They are medium green, leathery, glossy, beautiful. They need to be kept moist; allowing them to dry out will result in a possibly terminal loss of vigor; they also need to be protected from bright sun or the foliage will burn. Otherwise they are a carefree plant of uncommon beauty.