Eustoma, Lisianthus, Prairie Gentian, Texas Bluebell 'Lizzy Blue'

Eustoma exaltatum subsp. russellianum

Family: Gentianaceae (jen-shun-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eustoma (yoo-STOH-muh) (Info)
Species: exaltatum subsp. russellianum
Cultivar: Lizzy Blue
Synonym:Eustoma grandiflorum

Medium Purple

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Scottsdale, Arizona

Coudersport, Pennsylvania

Center, Texas

Weatherford, Texas

On Jul 1, 2011, acertel7 from Bloomingdale, IL wrote:

I love this little plant with the big name--Lisianthus. I left it in a pot on a stand above my perennials and it was beautiful all summer 2010. I tried to buy it again from my local garden store near me this spring and they no longer carry it as they said people have a lot of problems growing it. (Prone to fungus?) They previously recommended low watering and I ignored the plant most of last summer when I walked past it with my watering can to refresh my other container plants. It seems to have worked because it was exquisite and required very little work.

On Feb 29, 2004, SticknLuLu from Chariton, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am a hairdresser, and I had a customer that brought me in an arrangement of Lisianthus. They were so beautiful, and lasted over 2 weeks in a vase. She orders her plants over the net, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I really want to plant some this summer.

On May 30, 2003, Brinda from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

I absolutly love Lisianthus, in any variety. My favorite is what I call Forver Blue. It is about a 10" annual that blooms profusely all summer long. I have tried to start them from seeds, but without any luck. I understand that they are extremely difficult and the seeds are as tiny as dust. Occasionally I find them in garden stores here in OKC, but mostly I order them over the net. I ALWAYS order Lisianthus when it is available. They make wonderful plants in pots, that is where I have had the most luck. And occasionally they will winter over for me. Give them a try.....and enjoy!