Lophospermum Species, Creeping Gloxinia, Mexican Twist

Lophospermum erubescens

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Lophospermum (lo-fo-sper-mum) (Info)
Species: erubescens (er-yoo-BESS-kens) (Info)
Synonym:Asarina erubescens
Synonym:Lophospermum purpusii
Synonym:Lophospermum scandens
Synonym:Lophospermum spectabile
Synonym:Maurandya erubescens

Succulent

Rose/Mauve

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Fremont, California

Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Saint Louis, Missouri

Wayne, Pennsylvania

On Jun 19, 2019, SubTropMigrant from Quechee, VT wrote:

I have a question for those with experience with Lophospermum. I bought a Lophospermum hanging pot, full of buds and blooms. Beautiful plant. Its advertised as self cleaning and sure enough each bloom falls to the ground when spent. This leaves the calyx behind with the ovary inside, sort of like a Petunia does (hope I have my terms correct). Each calyx seems to have a firm ovary in it which on inspection looks similar to the seed pods that follow spent Petunia blooms. As long as the Petunia seed pods are in tact the plant devotes energy into seed production. My question is would removing the numerous calyx on each Lophospermum tendril help stimulate more flowering on that tendril or should you clip off that tendril to promote new tendrils with new buds and blooms? Thanks for any assistan... read more

On Sep 30, 2015, Sjulin from Lenexa, KS wrote:

I've had my Lophos for about a year now but am disappointed because the blooming period (I live in northeastern Kansas) tends to run from late September thru January. I wanted it for hummingbirds but it seems to bloom just after they leave the area. I put it in a greenhouse to overwinter it and it did well.

On Jun 12, 2009, luv2dig2 from Wayne, PA wrote:

For the last 3 years it's been a thrill for me to grow this lovely annual vine with it's large, wine red blossoms on a trellis in full shade!

On Jun 30, 2008, agastachegrl from Eden Prairie, MN wrote:

First time I've tried this and it is such a beautiful vine! The hummingbirds love this one and it seems to grow very quickly with a TON of flowers in partial shade here in MN. I have the deep wine red variety and another light pink, the blossoms are absolutely gorgeous, flowers remind me of trumpet creeper blossoms. Flowers are also gigantic, prolific and it looks just lovely on my black metal arch. Climbs by hooking it's pale green, feathery leaves onto its support. Try it, you'll be happy you did :)

On Oct 17, 2005, lisamr from Rotterdam, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I really like the Asarina's. I have the 'Creeping Gloxinia' growing in a hanging basket in full sun and it seems to be very happy. I was glad to see a hummingbird examine the plant. I really don't have that much experience with this particular plant but from what I can tell it's a keeper!