Pogonatherum Species, Baby Panda Bamboo, Miniature Bamboo

Pogonatherum paniceum

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pogonatherum (po-gon-AY-ther-um) (Info)
Species: paniceum (pan-I-kee-um) (Info)
Synonym:Pogonatherum polystachyum

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Ponds and Aquatics

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Provides Winter Interest

Inconspicuous/none

Bloom Size:

Long Beach, California

Loxahatchee, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

On Jul 2, 2010, bentraven from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I have two of these, one growing outside in full-sun (coastal southern California) and the other in a very warm, humid greenhouse. The one in the greenhouse was started from a cutting of the one outside - about a 3" long tip cutting. The one in the greenhouse does a lot better than the one outside, which isn't surprising, at all. They're both about 3' tall and 1' in diameter- it didn't take more than a couple of years for the one that I started from a cutting to catch up with its mother plant. Contrary to what is published here, my GH plant has disbursed seed and the seedlings appear to be identical to the mother plant. Daytime high ~85, night ~70, himidity ~70%.

On Dec 1, 2006, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

I had this Miniature Bamboo when I live in France, I got it from Ikea furniture store, its not expensive but seem like Ikea its the only place that i can find it. I will try to find it again from Dallas Ikea, America.

The one that I used to have was killed after I tried to separate the root ball. I have them stay indoor.

They were just grass but have the bamboo feel of it. I love it.

On May 27, 2004, dawogette from Geraldton,
Australia wrote:

Native Habitat: Includes South East Asia. It is found along rocky banks of rainforest streams where a large canopy opening admits sunlight. The best developed plants grow in full sun with constant moisture. At the edges of waterfalls plants develop into a long pendulous clump. In landscaped gardens in Singapore and Malaysia it is used as a fine textured bright green ground cover to soften the edges of rocks and steps.

It can be used as a pot plant inside well-lit houses, balconies or as an interesting feature plant around ponds, steps or bordering gardens. It likes lots of moisture and will take filtered light to full sun.

Fresh and leafy with exotic appeal, this plant is great for bench tops, tabletops, and sills. It will adapt to low light in a... read more