Ficus Species, Fiddle Leaf Fig, Lyrate-Leaf Fig

Ficus lyrata

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ficus (FY-kus) (Info)
Species: lyrata (ly-RAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Ficus jollyana

Green

Pale Green

Chartreuse (yellow-green)

Bloom Size:

Blooms all year

By air layering

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Brea, California

La Porte, Texas

Tyler, Texas

Woodway, Texas

On Jun 7, 2020, RBLick from Longboat Key, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

About 3 years back, our neighbor gave us two of these that were 3'-4' houseplants they had no room for. I didn't read up on them and I just stuck them in the ground on the front corner of our property in an area that needed filling in. Fast forward a few years, and they are nearly 25' tall! Here in zone 10a, they require 0 maintenance. I recently learned that this plant can be propagated from branch cuttings, so we now have extra houseplants.

On Apr 23, 2019, Squidby from Orange, CA wrote:

Planted our houseplant fiddle leaf in the ground in the shade of an immense golden rain tree (in Orange County CA). The shade tree had to be removed (unfortunately) and the fiddle leaf fig, which had been slowly growing for years, took off in the sunlight and within two years grew six feet and is now around 20-feet tall. It had a hard time with last summer's 114 degree day, but it has since bounced back. The original 6 small trunks have grown together, the limbs grow together when they remain touching, and the whole thing is wonderful. Our pal down the road in El Modena had a 40-foot specimen in his backyard. Immense, healthy tree. Might have been taller. Apparently they like so Cal.

On Apr 30, 2018, socallife from santa fe springs,
United States wrote:

I had an indoor one. We had the house fumigated about 10 years ago, I took all the plants out but forgot the watering can. So all my indoor plants died. I took this poor ficus outside and put it in a shady spot because I did not want to say goodbye, and forgot about it. Three years later there suddenly was a ficus bush of about 5 feet. I let it grow for a couple of years, and have been taking cuttings every year to propogate and give to friends. This past year, it got bigger than the tree in whose shadow it was, and started getting sun damaged. Also, it is next to a wall, so I will have to dig it up. Have lots of kids and grandkids from this one, though. I would say it is hardy, but not full sun or drought tolerant, and it gets much to big for a regular yard.

On Feb 21, 2018, Aprilbon from Holiday, FL wrote:

I have a15 year old fiddle leaf fig outdoors in the ground on the south corner of my home. It is close to 25 feet tall with a large trunk and has always been exceptionally beautiful and easy to care for. west florida got a nasty freeze this winter and almost all of the leaves fell. It still has a few healthy green ones remaining on lower branches so i know it's still alive but I'm not sure on if i should prune the top down some or wait a little longer for new growth.

On Oct 2, 2012, brucemoose from Dallas, TX wrote:

Irving, Texas city hall had a ficus lyrata growing in the middle of their building. It was a very high glass-domed ceiling and I'd estimate the tree to have reached a height of 20-25'. The tree bore a number of very red, hard figs! I assume the way to propagate ficus lyrata by seed is to contract with a grower in a subtropical zone to grow the trees mature enough to flower and produce figs from which the seeds can be taken. Sounds logical, anyway!

On Aug 4, 2011, KarenFWB from Fort Walton Beach, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I 'borrowed' a 2' (+ / -) clipping of this gorgeous tree from an office in St. Petersburg, FL. There were two 7 - 8' container-grown trees situated in the lobby, surrounded by windows. Wrapped the broken end in wet paper towels, slid it into a disposable plastic umbrella bag and brought that baby back home with me as a carry-on item at the airport. TSA were exceptionally good sports about this! When I arrived home, I made a clean diagonal cut on the bottom, stripped the lower leaves, cut in half the remaining upper leaves, dipped it in RootTone and planted it in perlite to root. As this was the dead of winter, I replaced my bathroom can lights with grow lights and not only did this cutting root, the plants I'd brought in for the winter thrived! I've since planted it in large planter box... read more

On Aug 30, 2010, xbuttersx from Oceanside, CA wrote:

On Apr 17, 2010, tplants from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

I found a beautiful 10ft. tree at our local nursery today. It was the only one they had. I planted it in the back yard right away when I got home. I keep looking out back because I can't believe how nice this tree looks. I hope it does well. I'm in zone 10.

On May 5, 2008, wreinha from Macomb, IL wrote:

I have a fiddle leaf fig that grows in my basement, it is 5 feet tall and it hase formed a new leaf, I can't wait till it grows up.

On Jul 30, 2007, daisymoon from Noblesville, IN wrote:

I was given a fiddle leaf fig early last December from a garden shop where I shop. It had dropped all of its leaves, due to the temp change. It has grown back nicely and I too plan to chop its top to help it branch out. I have noticed though, that it has reddish-now black spots all over some of its leaves.

On Jun 13, 2007, forsmyth1318 from Gonzales, LA wrote:

I bought a cutting of this plant in New Orleans. It grew over 6 feet in as many years. Ultimately it reached nearly 12 feet in the court yard. I left it outside year round and covered only when killing frost was forecast. One year while in the hospital my husband forgot to cover it and it lost many leaves and I thought it might be in real trouble but come spring all new leaves. A very tolerant plant; I've forgotten to water it, or feed it ...just neglected altogether at times. Unfortunately as w/many of our plants it did not survive the aftermath of the hurricanes. I've been looking for another so far to no avail.

On May 23, 2005, brugmansialover from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Yes, topping this plant is a good choice, when it is indoors.. I've had problems too with its height.. It started to touch the ceiling and it mainly had leaves around the top of the plant, the rest is kinda bare because it has lost some of its lower leaves since it is very old... I didn't know what to do, I was scared I would have to throw it away. Well I topped it off.. And I topped it low too.. It had no leaves, just a stem!!! But about 2 weeks later, it started to sprout new branches!!! I am so happy, now I can watch it grow all over again, and when it gets too tall again, I can just cut it back!!! It works very well. And it does like Fertilizer. Likes to have some sun, a half day of sun if you can would be good for it. Outside in Los Angeles, I have seen many Fiddle Leaf Figs in full s... read more

On May 16, 2005, Lozza from Leura,
Australia wrote:

Thank you Tropical lover 21. I purchased a fiddle leafed fig about 4 years ago. It did very well where I was living then. It has not done so well having been relocated. I thought that the heating vent was not helping it. it is now on the other side of the room. I now feel confident to "lop" it as it has gone straight up with leaves at the top. I think this is a great site.

On Apr 21, 2005, TropicalLover21 from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This is a great plant! I have two growing indoors, with afternoon sun, they are doing great! And growing very fast too! I just topped one that was getting over 8 feet tall, now it is about 5 feet, and its starting to branch out just like i wanted.. The other one is about 4 feet tall.. They respond very well to fertalizer. And their leaves get a bit darker too when fertalized!

On Dec 7, 2003, dianeml wrote:

When I purchased the fiddle leaf fig for my home, it was about 4 feet tall. In four years it has grown like a beanstalk. It is now touching the ceiling and is 15+ feet tall. I am moving to a new home where the ceilings are not as tall and will keep it outdoors. I live in Southern Calfornia, and it may do just fine! I feed the plant once a month, clean off its leaves as best I can, and have repotted it only once!

On Sep 16, 2003, adairia from Tyler, TX wrote:

I have had a Fiddle Leaf Fig in my house for 15 years. It doesn't have any figs.

On Sep 15, 2003, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

My plant is about 20 ft. high and very healthy. It's in a small enclosed area and in mostly shade. When it rains, the leaves catch water and at least one branch bends down low with the weight. The rain sounds loud hitting the leaves--very pleasant!

On Sep 15, 2003, sammy1 wrote:

I recently purchased a fiddle leaf fig to grow indoors. Within one month, the leaves began to turn black. I find resource materials confusing because of conflicting information. Does anyone know what i may be doing or not doing to cause the leaves to turn black?

On Aug 2, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

These trees are commonly sold as house plants throughout the US, but some folks here in So Cal are able to grow them outdoors. They are pretty marignal in most areas, though. I have had one in the ground for 9 years and it still is only 4' tall. I think the frost keeps setting it back, but it also isn't getting enough sun. They rarely develop as thick a trunk as that specimen growing in Brazil, but they do climb and lean on other trees in the yard to reach for the sun.

Indoors they do well if given plenty of light and have the leaves, which are exceptionally shiny, cleaned off.

On Apr 29, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I like this fig tree a lot. The foliage is dense, and the leaves are thick, looking like a small guitar. The figs are too hard, getting red when mature, not edible, though. This is the kind of tree you can climb on easily. Also, the kind of tree you will want to have in large gardens, since its roots can grow too much and cause damage to pavements (not like other fig trees, but still, have an eye open to this).