Asystasia Species, Chinese Violet, Creeping Foxglove, Ganges Primrose

Asystasia gangetica

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Asystasia (a-sys-TAH-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: gangetica (gan-GET-ee-kuh) (Info)

Pale Yellow

Lavender

Bloom Size:

Blooms all year

By simple layering

By stooling or mound layering

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Boynton Beach, Florida

Deland, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida

North Fort Myers, Florida

North Palm Beach, Florida

Plant City, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

On Jul 24, 2020, LantanaLin from Boynton Beach, FL wrote:

A variety of this plant, not the varigated leaves, is a Florida invasive. It easily will take over your yard, as it has mine. Fine if you enjoy pulling long, shallow-rooted vines on a daily basis (some do). Ive seen mentioned that they eat this like spinach in India, but have not reached out to my extension service or UFAS to verify. Will report back. If so, I would be very happy to have a year-round green to harvest with no work.

On Mar 23, 2020, gonefishin27 from Iona, FL wrote:

I bought one a while back and want more. They are fast growing and beautiful continual flowering and make a great vine for covering a fence for privacy. Easy care and easy to train to grow on lattice.

On Jul 24, 2014, BigOHort from Okeechobee, FL wrote:

I have received an email forwarded from Australia stating this is an invasive species "Down-under". They are actually looking for samples to be sent for DNA analysis to assist in their pest management program. I do see that it currently grows in Southern Florida. If you can help out the Aussies, here's their contact information:

I work in weed and pest management in Australia, and I need your help!

Asystasia gangetica ssp. micrantha is a new weed here that we are trying to eradicate before it become as big a problem here as it has elsewhere. There has been some conjecture over here in regards to its taxonomy and I am involved in a DNA study to determine if it is in fact different from A. gangetica ssp gangetica. What I need, and I realizes this is a... read more

On Dec 8, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The Chinese violet (not really in the violet family), a subshrub herb, is also known as Ganges primrose, creeping foxglove, coromandel and false snapdragon. Its original native range is India, the Malay Peninsula and Africa. It is a perennial and becoming naturalized in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin islands and some parts of Florida and an annual in colder regions. The leaves are a light green, somewhat oval but pointed on the ends. The only cultivar I have observed is the one I posted above. It is about 18 to 20 inches tall, but the plant can grow to 3 feet tall depending upon the cultivar and the locale in which it is growing. It can attain a width of 2 to 3 feet depending upon the cultivar and the locale in which it is growing.

The 1 to 1.5 inch in diameter, deep throa... read more

On Apr 30, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I got this plant from stem cutting. This is a rather short shrub, fast and easy growing, constantly blooming all over the year. Needs frequent watering. Its flowers are a mix of white, light yellow, sometimes getting light violet petals. Beautiful when covering fences