Rupturewort

Herniaria glabra

Family: Caryophyllaceae (kar-ree-oh-fil-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Herniaria (her-nee-AR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)

Groundcovers

Provides Winter Interest

Light Green

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Grow outdoors year-round in hardiness zone

Chartreuse (yellow-green)

Inconspicuous/none

Bloom Size:

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

Palmer, Alaska

Schertz, Texas

Spanish Fork, Utah

Freeland, Washington

On May 5, 2020, KatsssGarden from Takoma Park, MD wrote:

I'm looking for a ground cover that will get thick enough to block most weeds. I planted Lemon Frost thyme about 3 years ago and like the look but it's a constant struggle against weeds. Sedum from my rock garden started growing on the edge but fairly quickly is overwhelming the thyme - not to speak of the many other plants (weeds) that I have to remove. I'm considering transitioning to sedum or Rapturewort. The area is about 8' X 12' and gets a lot of sun. I live in Maryland - zone 6b. Any suggestions?

On Apr 3, 2018, invadertim from Schertz, TX wrote:

Can't say enough positive things about it. Just outside of San Antonio, this survived a winter that saw snow, a freeze that lasted a week (twice), and a summer that went over 110. It stayed green and vibrant throughout all of it; needs very little watering once established. I planted some in amended soil, some right in loosened clay; no difference in growth or water needs in my experience. It's just a great, behaved lawn replacement once you weather the 3-4 months it takes to start looking less patchy.

After a while you'll find a scant handful of stems slowly rooting themselves here and there when you lift some of the plant's sides up (contrary to what you'll read). I was able to break those off, plop them ~1/2" into the soil, water them every few days, and end up wit... read more

On Nov 13, 2016, mgpell from jerusalem,
Israel wrote:

Really interested in trying Herniaria glabra for our roof garden but concerned about its "long taproot" causing damage. Does anyone know how deep the taproot can reach and if it is considered as an aggressive plant in that respect? We need to know this so we determine if a root barrier is required to stop the roots reaching the insulation layer.

On Sep 23, 2016, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I think the zone 7 rating is a much repeated assumption. There may be certain specific conditions for different zones, (i.e. drainage, amount of summer heat, etc.), but I'm not sure. I do know that it is naturalized in Quebec and Ontario, so it's going to be at least zone 5 hardy. Some claim it is a zone 4.

On Aug 12, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Armitage says that this is hardy in Z5-8.

Grows from a single taproot, height is 2", plants can get 2' across. Stems do not root where they touch the ground, unlike the thymes.

On Aug 12, 2016, bobbymom from Spanish Fork, UT wrote:

I've had herniaria glabra in my yard for decades and have received much more benefit from it than the effort which I put into establishing it.

On Sep 10, 2014, Dorchid from Fresno, CA wrote:

Great groundcover! Thanks to the tap root, Herniaria stays within reasonable bounds (~2' diameter) and is drought-tolerant once established. I got a 6-pack to stop erosion where the sloping rose bed meets the sidewalk, and loved it so much I've added more around all the garden borders. Beautiful, springy green foliage, heat-tolerant (it's regularly triple-digits and dry here in Fresno). Highly-recommended.

On Oct 27, 2013, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Set it and forget it. It spreads politely, covers unsightly cement breezeblocks set as steps, and stays green all year. Doesn't need mowing. Why aren't we all growing this?
It is a little too polite, and would take forever to cover the whole yard. Or would it????
I have it next to wooly thyme. The line has held fairly firm for 3 years. They are duking it out exceedingly slowly.

On Dec 16, 2008, DenverJude from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have this growing at the exposed corner edge of my backyard perennial border here in Denver (zone 5b). It has been thriving without supplemental irrigation and has been survived the last 2 winters without difficulty.

**update**
This plant not only survived a 3rd winter, but it survived the -20 degrees we had for nearly a week last spring. It even stayed green most of the winter. It has spread nicely around my other plants in the area to cover even more ground and is doing a fantastic job of smothering weeds!

I think the zone chart should be amended to include zone 5b or at least zone 6a (mine is growing in a somewhat sheltered spot).

On Nov 11, 2003, Michaelp from Piney Flats, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Used medicinally for anti-spasmodic effect on the urinary tract. The leaves and flowering stems are made into an infusion (must NOT be boiled) for treating inflammation of the bladder, kidney stones and prostate; however, it MUST be used fresh.