Sphaeropteris Species, Soft New Guinea Tree Fern

Sphaeropteris tomentosissima

Family: Cyatheaceae
Genus: Sphaeropteris (sfay-ROP-teris) (Info)
Species: tomentosissima (to-men-to-SIS-see-ma) (Info)
Synonym:Cyathea tomentosissima

Ferns

Inconspicuous/none

Bloom Size:

From spores

This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions:

On Jan 20, 2022, HoustonPat from Houston, TX wrote:

I've been growing this plant in a plastic pot. potted up from 1 gallon to 5 gallon at first, then potted up to 15 gallon. Houston, being warm and humid in general, with a few cold day and nights each winter, I've been protecting it from frost, though it may take a bit without problem. It has grown rather fast, as I have fertilized it well. Quite a beautiful fern; different looking. The rhizome is just starting to trunk up.

On Apr 21, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Cyathea tomentosissima is native to New Guinea.

Cyathea are listed on CITES Appendix II.

On Jul 6, 2005, txstl from Austin, TX wrote:

This fern was new to me as well. I'm trying it out in large pot with mixed sun and shade throughout the day. Trying out new plants in late June in Austin in tough. Watering roughly every 3 days but too many 100+ days in a row are making it difficult for me to judge how much water it really needs. If it this fern makes it in my yard it will have my blessing.

On Aug 2, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a beautiful new (to me) Cyathea I just discovered this week. It is somewhat bizarre for a Cyathea. A fern grower in Huntington Beach is growing it. It has very stiff leaflets with rough red-brown long hairs on the petioles and stem.